Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 191 of 666

I am also upset. Tried sending emails. Not only is the cost going up, the locations are extremely limited. I feel we have been betrayed by AARP who claims to be the seniors advocate.  They are willing to sponsor United Healthcare regardless of the negative impact of discontinuing SilverSneakers. The programs being substituted are neither convenient nor affordable. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 192 of 666

I went to healthyourway.com and got my code on the 31st Dec. I followed the link and at first it showed the rate everyone else got.  You have to put the confirmation number in to show the discount.  It did waive the initiation fee but it signs you up to LA fitness signature where you use the club everywhere and it included racquetball and towel service. I play racquetball so that part was fine.  They did give 50% off of 29.00 membership plus the 7.00.    Where I am disappointed is what if I didn’t play racquetball why should I pay for it and I only use the one club it would be nice if I had the choice of that. The price for one club is 25.00. I don’t care about the $2.00 difference in membership but as I said if I only use one club and don’t play racquetball my dues should be 12.50 a month. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 193 of 666

And those of us who have already moved to another insurance provider should email them and tell them we'll leave them too if they get rid of SilverSneakers or Silver and Fit.  After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (unless you're using the metric system).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 194 of 666

For those who are trying to enroll in the fitness benefit that replaced Silver Sneakers, you need to call UHC to obtain a confirmation code to take to you gym. Call the number on the back of your ID card. For me this was 1-800-523-5800. Right now the phone lines are very busy. I was first on hold for 20 minutes and when a representative finally answered she said she could not hear me. When I called back the representative said that their system to enter info to retrieve my confirmation code was not working and asked that I call back in a few hours. I also tried to obtain my confirmation code online at Healthyourway.com. But, alas, that wasn't working either and I was directed to call the above reference phone number. Sigh!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 195 of 666

This is my second post regarding the Silver Sneakers issue.  Please be reminded that according to the letter, to get this special benefit from AARP/UHC, the member must use the website provided.  I was given a website on United HealthCare's (UHC) which would activate the new program for 2019.  UHC would not give me permission to access the site until January 1, 2019.  Thus, one of the first things on my agenda for 2019 was to access the site.  Here is my experience for a CA member:  The discount "deal" for LA Fitness was no deal at all.  The offer on the site was identical to the membership arrangements given by the club for walk-ins- $99 activation fee and $29.95 per month.  If you had a previous membership with LA Fitness (that the member was paying themselves) $25 activation and $24.95 a month.  These so called deals are a far cry from 50% off the monthly dues and waived activation fees.  Again, AARP needs to listen to its membership and act accordingly.  If UHC refuses, then AARP should withwraw any and all endorsements from them.  There are many other insurance companies who would gladly assume the AARP members and their retirement dollars. As of this posting, there have been over 13,000 views on this topic.  That should indicate the weight of this concern to all involved.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 196 of 666

Everyone needs to write a letter to UHC, since they don't have an email address and let them know of our extreme dissappointment!!!

United Health Care

POBox 30607

Salt Lake City, Utah   84130-0607

Flood them with letters!!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 197 of 666

The main reason I joined AARP was to prevent exactly what is happening, a business wants to make more money so they cut benefits and raise prices. So UHC thinks they will make more money and they don't care that many of their customers will be denied a valuable health benefit as well as the benefit that many derive from the social contact. I realize not everyone uses Silver Sneakers, but many people do. Just in my small town there are over 800 memebers loosing their Silver Sneakers benefits. Our only option is to join a much smaller gym and pay for the privilege. But if you expect any better treatment from UHC you must be new around here.

However, AARP is a different story. They are supposed to protect us and champion our causes. So what did they do to protect us in this situation - nothing. They must realize that this move will result in the degradation of their members health and well being. Yet no action was taken, only the lame excuse that "we didn't cut your benefits, UHC did". Yes, but you have done little to stop this injustice. Oh wait, you do derive substantial financial benefits from endorsing UHC insurance. Now I get it. You view us members as a source of money, not as people to be protected. And the joke is on us, we pay for that privilege. 

Well don't count on that revenue stream from me in the future. I can be taken advantage of without your help.

dcobb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 198 of 666
Did you try Humana? I was able to beat UHC rate by $50 and they have silver sneakers.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 199 of 666

I was unable to switch insurance companies for a reasonable price do to some health issues.The qoute after underwritting from BCBS was $90 more than I was paying.

I did inquired at several heath clubs in the phoenix area to see what the offers are for this 50% off deal. LA fitness qouted $22 month (normal rate is $30). I'm not a genius but I know $22 is not 50% of $30. EOS fitness did not have any details about the offer even with the confirmation code and letter from AARP/UHC.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 200 of 666

First of all “dropped” is spelled with two “P’s”.   Secondly, what a bummer!   I became eligible for Medicare, July 2018.  I joined AARP because the United Healthcare Plan I selected was cost effective as a member.  I also use Silver Sneakers program, which is one of the reasons I chose this particular plan.  Why was there no mention of SS being dropped at that time?   One would think that having recently enrolled, AARP and/or UHC would have grandfathered a complete year.   Once again, greed over what is right wins.  So disappointing.

I am so thoroughly disgusted with AARP.   Please someone explain what this organization does?   Drug prices go through the roof, yet they say they were successful in keeping costs down.   I can get discounts on things I never use.  Now the one thing that I truly use and helps me is taken away!

I will not be renewing my AARP membership, nor will I renew my United Healthcare plan.   I know I’m only a drop in the bucket to them.  They will keep sucking the dolllars out of others pockets.   

I’m reminded of a quote from a movie, “I’m sick and tired and I’m not going to take it anymore!”   You know how to get AARP and UHC to listen?  Take their money away!

Happy 2019 all.  Thanks for giving me the soapbox.

Ciao.......

Kudos
Views