Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 211 of 666
FYI, The above post was a reply to:
ChadM736467
‎12-20-2018 02:38 PM
What about this link doesn't work? Just enter your state in the drop-down on the destination page and you'll get a list of companies contracted with SilverSneakers:
https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Still trying to figure out how to connect reply to original post - let's see if 'Quick Reply' button does it better than 'Reply' button.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 212 of 666

Hello, The main reason this link doesn't work at this time is AARP/UHC is dropping Silver Sneakers for 2019, but if you try to look up participating health providers at this time, it only shows participating health providers for 2018. So it does you no good at all when you're losing Silver Sneakers at the end of 2018 and you're trying to find a participating health provider for 2019. So you're out of luck getting any helpful, relevant information with this link / Silver Sneakers webpage. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers and Capping of Plan F to new members

Message 213 of 666

Not sure Medicare discontinuing plan F has anything to do with AARP and UHC dropping silver sneakers.   UHC pays AARP for using their name and that is like 50% of AARP revenue.  Plan F and G are the same except Plan F pays the yearly Medicare $183 deductable. I was told by some rep that some medicare insurance companies will try and up the monthly amount for F depending on medicare's approval (or hope they die off?).  In my case at age 70, Medical Mutual of Ohio charged 134.81 for G (only $6 more than N).  But $181.41 for F or $46.83 more than G.  12 month x 46.83  is much more than $183 deductable.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Silver Sneakers and Capping of Plan F to new members

Message 214 of 666

I am wondering if there is a connection between the capping of Plan F, UHC, to new members and discontinuation of Silver Sneakers.  My feeling is that UHC knows how valuable Silver Sneakers is

and is counting on people leaving the plan.   By capping the plan, the existing members, like myself, get older and older and use the plan more and more so it becomes more expensive to UHC as no new members are coming in to fund the program.  I see the premiums getting higher and higher and benefits such as Silver Sneakers being taken away.  Is this just me?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 215 of 666

It was lousy for AARP to do that for Advantage plans.  But, Medicare supplement plans (unlike Advantage plans Oct - Dec) do Not have an open enrollment period.  You can change a supplement plan any month.  I read in these messages that on your birthday month in California, you can change supplement plan W/O underwriting pre-existing conditions.  If you do not have a pre-existing condition like certain cancer, you can change any month.  I am very healthy but 12 months ago had radiation for prostate cancer.  So in Ohio I went with Medical Mutual of Ohio which is cheaper, has silver sneakers, and if you go from a company's supplement plan to Medical Mutual (only between now and June, 2019), no underwriting is required and it only took an hour to be approved and 10 days to get our cards.  (we went from aarp uhc plan N to medical mutual plan G).  Medical Mutual in Ohio and some other companies are by passing pre-conditions to get AARP's business. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 216 of 666

I vaguely remember the letter sent out in September. In the meantime I emailed AARP asking for confirmation and did not receive a reply. That UHC sent out the definitive letter after open enrollment is a lousy tactic to try to keep insureds from jumping ship. I also intend to switch to another supplement insurance carrier ASAP. Anthem is now offered in California and their plan is a bit less expensive than UHC and includes Silver Sneakers. I am in good physical shape and go to the gym at least once a week for a yoga class and/or weight training.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 217 of 666

You are so right. It's a fact that exercise contributes to good health. Why would Silver Sneakers be dropped? I suspect somebody is making a lot of money with this change.

The LEAST they could have done is make the transition seamless which it is absolutely not. I inquired at my qualifying gym and was told they knew it was happening but I had to go through my insurer. So I called the UHC question line and was told it's TOO EARLY to sign up and to call back in January. What?

I gave up my gym membership to join  Silver Sneakers. Now as of Jan 1, I can't work out until I get this mess sorted. TOTAL INCOMPETENCE. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 218 of 666

I fail to see how this is relevant to the facts:

a) UHC dropped a service thats worth on average $30 a month to seniors, in a way that minimised the chances that anyone would notice before the end of the enrollment period, then sent a letter 1 week later.

b) AARP failed to tell anyone either.

As soon as I am able I will dropping UHC and AARP

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 219 of 666

@CarolB353362 wrote:

Needless to say I was stunned to see AARP dropped Silver Sneakers!  I don't remember getting the so called letter and only found out by seeing post on the internet.  Now it's too late to change insurance companies since open enrollment date has passed. 

Carol B

You don't review your Medicare Advantage plan every year during open enrollment so that you are still assured that it is the best plan for you?

What happens if your Medical providers have been dropped from their network?

Perhaps if anything good might come from all of this, it is the fact that beneficiaries need to scrutinize their Medicare Advantage plans every year so that the plan they choose is the best one for them or make a change during the open enrollment period.

Or another good thing could be that they learn the difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a Medicare Supplemental policy (Medigap) and the separate rules that apply to each of them.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 220 of 666

Needless to say I was stunned to see AARP dropped Silver Sneakers!  I don't remember getting the so called letter and only found out by seeing post on the internet.  Now it's too late to change insurance companies since open enrollment date has passed.  You can bet next year I will be shopping.  I thought AARP was concered for Seniors health?  This was a wonderful benefit.  For 2019 my rates have gone up and now Silver Sneakers taken away.

I was also told by the rep on the AARP line that there would be another option which is not available yet in PA. Really?!

I am (and so is my husband also with AARP) very unhappy with this decision.  I hope you will re-consider. 

Carol B

Kudos
Views