Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 201 of 651

I vaguely remember the letter sent out in September. In the meantime I emailed AARP asking for confirmation and did not receive a reply. That UHC sent out the definitive letter after open enrollment is a lousy tactic to try to keep insureds from jumping ship. I also intend to switch to another supplement insurance carrier ASAP. Anthem is now offered in California and their plan is a bit less expensive than UHC and includes Silver Sneakers. I am in good physical shape and go to the gym at least once a week for a yoga class and/or weight training.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 651

You are so right. It's a fact that exercise contributes to good health. Why would Silver Sneakers be dropped? I suspect somebody is making a lot of money with this change.

The LEAST they could have done is make the transition seamless which it is absolutely not. I inquired at my qualifying gym and was told they knew it was happening but I had to go through my insurer. So I called the UHC question line and was told it's TOO EARLY to sign up and to call back in January. What?

I gave up my gym membership to join  Silver Sneakers. Now as of Jan 1, I can't work out until I get this mess sorted. TOTAL INCOMPETENCE. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 651

I fail to see how this is relevant to the facts:

a) UHC dropped a service thats worth on average $30 a month to seniors, in a way that minimised the chances that anyone would notice before the end of the enrollment period, then sent a letter 1 week later.

b) AARP failed to tell anyone either.

As soon as I am able I will dropping UHC and AARP

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 651

@CarolB353362 wrote:

Needless to say I was stunned to see AARP dropped Silver Sneakers!  I don't remember getting the so called letter and only found out by seeing post on the internet.  Now it's too late to change insurance companies since open enrollment date has passed. 

Carol B

You don't review your Medicare Advantage plan every year during open enrollment so that you are still assured that it is the best plan for you?

What happens if your Medical providers have been dropped from their network?

Perhaps if anything good might come from all of this, it is the fact that beneficiaries need to scrutinize their Medicare Advantage plans every year so that the plan they choose is the best one for them or make a change during the open enrollment period.

Or another good thing could be that they learn the difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a Medicare Supplemental policy (Medigap) and the separate rules that apply to each of them.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 651

Needless to say I was stunned to see AARP dropped Silver Sneakers!  I don't remember getting the so called letter and only found out by seeing post on the internet.  Now it's too late to change insurance companies since open enrollment date has passed.  You can bet next year I will be shopping.  I thought AARP was concered for Seniors health?  This was a wonderful benefit.  For 2019 my rates have gone up and now Silver Sneakers taken away.

I was also told by the rep on the AARP line that there would be another option which is not available yet in PA. Really?!

I am (and so is my husband also with AARP) very unhappy with this decision.  I hope you will re-consider. 

Carol B

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 651
It only tells you what companies are contracted with Silver Sneakers in 2018. So, that information is only good for another 10 days or so. It would have been nice if there was was a list of companies that are contracted with Silver Sneakers for 2019 posted before the open enrollment deadline earlier this month.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 651

ChadM736467-the link only shows the Insurance Companies by State that offer Silver Sneakers RIGHT NOW. 

It does NOT show us who will be offering Silver Sneakers beginning January 1, 2019.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 651
Goodbye AARP. Goodbye UHC.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 651

Silver Sneakers also provides online support welness coaching, in addition to gym memberships and special senior classes. 

WHAT IS SILVERSNEAKERS?

SilverSneakers® is a comprehensive program that improves overall well-being, strength and social aspects. Designed for all levels and abilities, this program is generally provided by your health plan at no additional cost. SilverSneakers provides access to fitness equipment, group exercise classes, social networking, online education and a sense of community. With more than 15,000 locations nationwide, you can visit any one of our locations at any time.

WHAT’S INCLUDED?

• Access to fitness equipment
• Specially-designed, signature exercise classes for all fitness levels**
• Pools, tennis courts and walking tracks**
• 15,000+ fitness and community locations nationwide (you can enroll at multiple locations)
• Social events in your community
• Online resources with nutrition and fitness tips

Silver Sneakers provides much more comprehensive health/fitness benefits, than the new UHC program!  When I called UHC about Silver Sneakers being dropped in California, I was told it was due to low participation in California.  I find that hard to believe.  I would like some transparency from UHC in sharing the actual 2018 California Silver Sneakers participation data.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 651

What about this link doesn't work?  Just enter your state in the drop-down on the destination page and you'll get a list of companies contracted with SilverSneakers:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors