Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 201 of 642

What about this link doesn't work?  Just enter your state in the drop-down on the destination page and you'll get a list of companies contracted with SilverSneakers:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 642
Teri, the information supplied by your link shows us which companies are offering Silver Sneakers for the next 10 days or so. I've written them an asked them to post a list of companies that will be offering Silver Sneakers in 2019. Hopefully, we'll be able to see a 2019 list soon.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 642

"Let them eat cake"

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 642

Please see my post - https://community.aarp.org/t5/Medicare-Insurance/AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver-Sneakers/m-p/2064960#... regarding AARP and Silver Sneakers.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 642
Yes indeed - Blue Shield have not refused cover, in fact they said that I was "on track" for coverage starting Jan 1st 2019. However, they seem to want my replies to go via underwriting, should they refuse coverage then I guess I can make a fuss. My birthday was 11/17/ - my application is dated 12/4, open enrollment ended 12/7
Geoff
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 642

Yes I know.  Unlike California, there is no law in my state that allows one to switch supplemental plans within a period of 30 days after your birthday without going through underwriting.  I've switched my UHC supplemental  plan F to Aetna G (underwriting required)  and adding in next year's Part B deductible of $185.00 I'm able to pay my wife's and my gym expenses ($600 annually at LA Fitness - 1.5 miles from my house) and still save $115.00 a year. (As of yet I've not developed any medical issues.) That way I'm not at the mercy of an insurance company that decides that a gym membership is no longer viable for the company's bottom line. I also switched us from our UHC drug plan that was costing us $83.00 a month each to a UHC Walgreens plan. Yes, still UHC but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. The UHC Walgreens plan saves me $1400 annually. We've had these UHC plans for 12/11 years. I'm 77 and my wife is 76. With me leaving UHC my wife's UHC Plan F rates were increased by $11.00 a month so that reduces my savings to $1,268 annually.

My wife has developed some medical issues since she joined Medicare in 2007 and if course she also has to go through underwriting. (All other insurance companies other than UHC refused to accept her application) I did that with UHC and she filled out the paperwork for Plan G to begin 1/1/19. 2 weeks later I received a letter from UHC that they placed her on Plan G but....the premium was increased from her Plan F premium to the new G premium by 45%. Soooo, I called UHC and told them that was completely stupid to pay more for less so I had them cancel the new Plan G. I had 30 days to cancel...thank goodness. Hello! 

So I'm still saving over $1,200 annually with my own Aetna Plan G (start next month) and my wife remaining with UHC Plan F (not much choice with hers) and our new drug plan, so that's good. I love it when the kids talk about "free Medicare" for all. What a hoot.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 642

Also, just realized even in the Birthday month you can only change to equal or lower without underwriting.  So for me to move from UHC F to Blue Shield F Extra, it will require underwriting.  So I will probably pick G and that likely means Anthem instead.  Meeting with agent momentarily to figure out best strategy for the 2 of us. No matter what, I will be off UHC ASAP

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 642

Well, let's be perfectly clear about this.  While it is true that you can change your Supplemental (Medigap) policy at anytime, if you are not in your "Birthday Month" period, which in California is the 30 days following your Birthday, you will be subject to Medical Underwriting.  MANY of us have pre-existing conditions which make it practically impossible to make a change at any other time.  For  me, I was notified shortly AFTER my personal Birthday Month enrollment period ended, so I have to wait an entire year if I want to change.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 642

You are not stuck with a supplement plan for 12 months.  I understood you can change it any time in a year, unlike an advantage plan that you can only choose between Oct and December and it is for a full year.  Ask another supplement plan person that has silver sneakers 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 642

Geoff,

You state that you are "within" 30 days of your birthday.  California law is very specific on this but it is 30 day period after your birthday!.  IF Blue Shield is violating this statute, immediately call your agent AND call the CA Department of Insurance!

The Guranteed Issue Period is found in the Califonia Insurance Code - Section 10192.11 (h)(1).  The bottom line is that within the 30 day period AFTER your birthday each year, you CAN change to a Medicare supplement polcy of the same or lesser benefit and the insurance company cannot deny coverage!

(h) (1) An individual shall be entitled to an annual open enrollment period lasting 30 days or more, commencing with the individual’s birthday, during which time that person may purchase any Medicare supplement policy that offers benefits equal to or lesser than those provided by the previous coverage. During this open enrollment period, no issuer that falls under this provision shall deny or condition the issuance or effectiveness of Medicare supplement coverage, nor discriminate in the pricing of coverage, because of health status, claims experience, receipt of health care, or medical condition of the individual if, at the time of the open enrollment period, the individual is covered under another Medicare supplement policy or contract. An issuer shall notify a policyholder of his or her rights under this subdivision at least 30 and no more than 60 days before the beginning of the open enrollment period.

Kudos
Views