Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 211 of 622

I don't believe you received correct informaiton. Members on the HMO Advantage plan continue to have Silver Sneakers, but people on the individual plan called AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplement Plan, do not.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 212 of 622

I wanted to pass along more information regarding the SilverSneakers Program that is being dropped by the AARP United Healthcare Medicare Supplemental Insurance program. 

I called UHC again today to nominate the gym I go to so I can continue my fitness program. My gym is the YouFit gym in AZ. They are not currently part of the new fitness program. However, yesterday I was told to gather some information from the gym and I could nominate the gym to participate. Today, after gathering said information, I called UCH again. They took the information and told me it would be 4-6 weeks before the gym would be contacted. I can join another participating gym, of course, but I like the YouFit gym and would prefer to stay there. However, I can't take 4-6 or more weeks off.  This is very disturbing to me. I'm really surprised that AARP didn't stand up for us in this matter. The new program will cost seniors more money. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 213 of 622

Being a fitness Club Owner this is super sad to see. UHC and AARP only caring about their bottom line and not the people. The Silver Sneaker Program at our Fitness Club has been a huge blessing to a lot of actively aging folks and now just to do away with it is a bit crazy. Not many facilities are going to lower their rates for seniors. This will not only be a huge Negative for AARP but also scar on UHC. To also make this known to members after the enrollment period was a poor choice, they should have rolled that news out long before to give people options. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 214 of 622

I agree - the only reason I selected the AARP health provider was the FREE Siver Sneakers benefit.  I will be dropping this "health" insurance as soon as possible!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 215 of 622

This is what happens when you sell your soul to the highest bidder.  Perhaps it is time for the decision-makers at AARP to reflect seriously upon their core values.  If it's more important to keep the doors open by auctioning off your name than to adhere to the core values, then it's time for new leadership at AARP.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 216 of 622

It is crazy what they're doing to us but still taking our money. I started doing some research online and came across a youtube video about this. If you're still looking for something similar to sneakers this guy has some good recommendations

https://youtu.be/Ug_BMbO6TKk

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 217 of 622

1. Everyone needs to understand that AARP is making a commision or a fee - whatever you want to call it - for every policy or item that is "sold" with tjhe AARP "brand."  

2. If you have a Supplememental Medicare plan - called a Medigap plan - NOT an Advantage Plan - you can change your plan at ANY time.  The "open enrollment" applies to people who are in a Medicare Advantage plan.  The ONLY possible issue is that underwriting may review your medical history.  

3. California has a rule that you can change plans in the 30 day period after your birthday without having underwriting review your medical history.  The rule is called the Guaranteed Issue.  I posted the actual legal citiation on this a couple of weeks ago.

4. Do NOT believe that anything is "a bargain" just because it is "branded" AARP.  I dropped my Hartford Homeowners policy this year because they wanted to raise the premium about $200!!!  I was able to save a lot by changing to Farmers'.

5. On United Healthcare, every plan F is the same!  The premium does vary.  Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield and I think Healthnet offer Plan F but they have also come out with a new plan - Innovative F.  It's idential to the Regular Plan F but offers vision and hearing benefits at no extra cost.  I'm looking at Anthem Blue Cross and the premium for the regular Plan F and for the Innovative F are BOTH less expensive than United Healthcare and I will have Silver Sneakers!!!

In other words - find an agent and check this stuff out!!!!!  Good luck! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 218 of 622

In case there's any doubt about this here is the letter from UHC that I received this morning.  Dated December 14th conveniently a week after open enrollment finished.  Neither my wife nor I saw the notification referred to in September.  Neither it seems did anyone else

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 219 of 622

I was REALLY looking forward to using the Silver Sneakers benefit to get back in shape after having been laid up for the past 8 months. Come my birthday in June, I'll be looking for a company with the Silver Sneaker benefit. Too Bad, UHC.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 220 of 622

Agree.

I called AARP and all they said was call UHC. You would think AARP would be looking out for the senior membership.

I will be considering dropping AARP at next renewal.

Kudos
Views