Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 251 of 651
Agree... same experience.
I will be considering changing insurance and dropping AARP at next renew period.
AARP is supposed to be looking out for seniors, but failed us miserably. When I called AARP to complain, they told me to call UHC.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 252 of 651

Agree! Considered Silver Sneakers a reason to keep my expensive F Aarp United Healthcare supplement.. Silver Sneakers is being offered in Medicare Advantage plans by some companies.United Healthcare , I am disappointed. The alternatives you offer in my area are not geared to seniors. I am healthy and surely you want me to stay healthy. Bring Silver Sneakers back!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 253 of 651

@wonsettler wrote:

. . . . . Wouldn't it be great if they could simply quote you a new monthly premium charge after underwriting so you could make a choice instead of just slapping you into a new plan with a much higher premium? 

That 's why there is a Medigap Medicare Consumer protection rule to protect you ( your wife in this case ).  

If underwriting is required, that process has to be completed before the premium is known.  The protection is a 30-day look where you can go back to the previous Medigap policy.

Medicare.gov -Switching Medigap Policies

The insurer don't want to do the underwriting legwork unless they have some monetary assurance that there is a possible policy sale.  Be glad that the 30-day look is in place.

Personally, I would handle this switch back in writing but I have this thing with documentation to cover any potential problems.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 254 of 651

I was told by insurance experts after telling them of health issues my wife has developed in the past 11+ years being on the UHC supplemental plan F that my wife had to remain at UHC. I called UHC and they recommended I change her plan from F to G but she would have to go through underwriting. I did this and was told that the premium for the new plan G would be lower. After suiting the paperwork to the underwriters I was informed that my wife was now on plan G but the premium ended up being 45% higher than her current expensive plan F. (230.xx per month and being increased to 249.xx per month in April 2019) So my attempt to save money turned into an increase from the current plan F premium of $230.xx monthly to $333.xx monthly for plan G plus the Part B deductible of $185.00 for next year. It took 2 calls to UHC to cancel the new Part G and  keep my wife on the Part F in the future. Wouldn't it be great if they could simply quote you a new monthly premium charge after underwriting so you could make a choice instead of just slapping you into a new plan with a much higher premium? 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 255 of 651

You can still change if you have a supplemental plan. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 256 of 651

Wow... Today I got nearly the same letter telling me what our new choices are to replace Silver Sneakers. What a joke!!! One is 20 miles away and the other one is close but the facility is the size of a shoe box! Some choice. Come on you guys KNOCK IT OFF and get us back in Silver Sneakers or next year lots of people will be making decisions you may not like. 

If this is monetary thing get in touch with the right  people and negotiate the issues with our large numbers instead of dumping it all on the members. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 257 of 651

If you have an Advantage plan, the open enrollment applies to you, otherwise we can change a supplemental plan at any time. You may be required to answer health questions.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 258 of 651

Today received in snail mail a letter from United Health Care (conveniently mailed to arrive after the end of enrollment open season) informing me that my AARP/UHC Medicare Supplement plan will no longer cover Silver Sneakers beginning Jan. 1, 2019.  The letter stated that I was notified via a September mailing that this change was planned.  I DID NOT receive that notification.  I carefully searched the AARP/UHC web site during open enrollment to verify that Silver Sneakers would be covered in 2019.  I found nothing indicating that a change would occur, so I continued my AARP/UHC coverage unchanged.  Now I am seriously disappointed in my choice.  Now I am faced with paying gym membership of $65 a month, or stopping my regular exercise routine.  This is a bummer, and I am very disappointed in AARP/UHC.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 259 of 651

Thank-you John85259, the Az mayo info is of help to me.

Also, for a total bill of approx $160 for my primary care Dr, I paid only about $3.00. The amount is very low, Medicare and my F plan paid the rest. It's just a little extra effort in the accounting, but it works!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 260 of 651

After a new series of phone calls I have some more info about Mayo Clinic.  Generally speaking, Mayo Clinic doesn't accept Medicare for primary care which includes physicals and that sort of thing.  They will make an exception if you had been a primary care patient at Mayo Clinic within the last 3 years, but they won't accept new Medicare patients in the primay care department.  Other departments at Mayo Clinic have different policies and may very well accept Medicare patients.  The information I received is for Scottsdale-Phoenix, Arizona and will likely be the same at other Mayo facilities.

This is far from the original topic of this thread but maybe it will be of value to a few people.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors