Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 251 of 634

Sorry your agent did not know this.

AARP/UHC says that you can move form one plan to another, internally. Prior to October 1, 2018, they touted this benefit as your being able to do it any time you wished, with no Underwriting required.
What is not disclosed is the fact that when you are already a customer and then move to another plan within the company, underwriting or not, you pay a different rate than the street/published rate. You are far better going to a Plan G, or better, Plan N, with a different carrier. See www.PlanNMedicare.org

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 252 of 634

As I've stated recently I've canceled my UHC plan F that I've had for 12 years and went to Aetna plan G. My savings will pay for my wife's and my gym costs with some left over. I went to a different Part D and save over $1,200 annually. The bad news, my wife cannot leave UHC because of previous conditions (that occured over the past 5 years since she's been on UHC plan F - she has been on UHC plan F for 11 years) so I applied for UHC plan G for her. The insurance agent said it would save approximately $500 annually but after underwriting the plan G ended up to be $1,200 a year more expensive than the current plan F. What a kick. We are going to fight the underwriting because they came up with some really weird conditions they claim my wife has but in the meantime I'll keep her on the UHC plan F. What a circle  jerk.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 253 of 634

We did receive notice from United Health Care about the time this thread started.  Our subsequent emails regarding increased premiums for next year did not mention anything about this, no surprise.

We have not received any info regarding it from any of the gyms we have membership in, but I guess it is not their concern since our membership is via Silver Sneakers.  I am very surprised that I don't think we have received any notification from Silver Sneakers that our membership will be ending at the end of the year under the conditions of which we have membership.  They must know so it seems like they missed a marketing opportunity..  

We are fortunate that we can change to Blue Shielf effective Jan 1 and are looking forward to not giving UHC our money.  Obviously not everyone takes advantage of the Silver Sneakers option, so maybe UHC just doesn't care.   For a lower monthly premium, we will not only keep Silver Sneakers but will also have an allowance for vision care (that we can use at Costco), a personal emergency device (which I won't admit to owning yet) and an allowance at a hearing aid center (that we probably won't use because we are sold on Costco for this).  

I was worried that UHC leaving Silver Sneakers would open the door for others to do the same.  My agent doesn't think that will happen and I hope he is right.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 254 of 634

I  had the same experience. Very disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 255 of 634

FYI, your link does not work. I did find the names of participating companies but they just list the current companies for 2018. The list doesn't show that AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Insurance plan for 2019 is dropping Silver Sneakers. I'm so surprised that AARP let UCH get away with that. They are replacing it with a program through Optum called Health Your Way. Enrollees will be required to pay half of the gym membership. I was never notified by AARP or UHC of this change. I heard it from my gym. They don't have details. UHC can only tell me Silver Sneakers is terminating at the end of December and that a letter was sent out (probably after open enrollment ended). I could have enrolled in a group plan and continued with Silver Sneakers, but it is too late for 2019. I can't enroll in the new plan until Jan. 1 so my gym membership is up in the air. I also go to 3 different gyms and it sounds like I will only be able to go to one now. No one has been able to answer that question. All I know is that I'm goning to be out of pocket for my limited choices.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 256 of 634

ps - also planning to discontinue AARP membership.     

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 257 of 634

it's disgusting.      i talked with someone from united and she knew nothing either.    she even said "they're working on it"   i laughed.    my issue is that i've been happy with united's plan F coverage -- maybe i'll check humana or other plan F's and compare?       the person at united  i talked with did say we are 'grandfathered' in since they are not continuing plan F, but we all know they'll raise premiums to the point we'll have to change plans.....

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 258 of 634

You can find a list of health plans in your state that offer SilverSneakers here:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Click on the company logo for specific plans that offer the benefit, as it may not be all plans in an area (as others have noted).

There's also an article with more background about this change (and the cool reception) here:

https://khn.org/news/seniors-steamed-over-cuts-to-silversneakers-fitness-program/

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 259 of 634
Thanks...called UHC and can't verify the Optum Fitness Advantage until after January 1.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 260 of 634

@sr32711449 wrote:

Good news: United Healthcare is still offering the benefit - but they are useing a new vedor: Optum Fitness Advantage. To sign up, go to their website: fitnessadvantage.optum.com 

I just found this out by calling United Healthcare. They were sweet and helpful - but I complained that they should have notified us of the change!

Optum will not translate to free membership at the fitness center. It will only cover half the cost of membership. So we would still be on the hook for the other half, plus higher premiums.

Kudos
Views