You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 1 of 376
Thanks...called UHC and can't verify the Optum Fitness Advantage until after January 1.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 376

@sr32711449 wrote:

Good news: United Healthcare is still offering the benefit - but they are useing a new vedor: Optum Fitness Advantage. To sign up, go to their website: fitnessadvantage.optum.com 

I just found this out by calling United Healthcare. They were sweet and helpful - but I complained that they should have notified us of the change!

Optum will not translate to free membership at the fitness center. It will only cover half the cost of membership. So we would still be on the hook for the other half, plus higher premiums.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 376

@MaVolta wrote:

I noticed that Aetna is offering Silver Sneakers in 2018, replacing their current program, Silver & Fit. 

Be sure to check with Silver Sneakers that it is covered in your area. Aetna is listed on the Silver Sneakers website, but when I called SS and asked them for verification I was told it was not covered by Aetna in my area. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 376

I have applied to switch from UHC to Anthem BC/BS in Indiana. I am switching from Plan F to Plan G to save some money. Plus, Anthem does include Silver Sneakers with all of their supplement plans. If I had gone with Aetna I would have saved even more money, but they do not include SS in our area. What a hassle it is to shop around and get on the phone with these companies. But it's worth it.

I've spoken to agents for 3 companies and they all said they've been inundated with UHC people who are up in arms about the premiums rising and the benefits dropping.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 5 of 376

I also have switched from UHC plan F to Humana plan F in Arizona (same exact basic coverage, all F plans are the same), Humana still has Silver Sneakers. It saved me about $20 a month on premiums plus if I had kept UHC and paid 1/2 of my YMCA premium it would have been $30 a month. So switching has saved me $600 a year! I did not have to worry about underwriting because I had only been on medicare for 3 months.

I go through a broker, which I recommend....as it does not cost us, they are paid by the insurer.

My broker said we can change a Medigap plan anytime of the year (there may be underwriting....meaning you may have to answer a health questionnaire.) 

The things that CAN only be changed during open enrollment are Medicare part D (prescription) and Advantage plans.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 376

Yes, inrollment was easy and I found out something today that I didn't know, This may only be in Ohio but you can switch your supplemental insurance at any time not just during open enrollment period.  

Now I have a 3 year membership to AARP but i guess it's not there fault that UHC made changes, I would have thought they'd have some influence though!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 376

I also switched to Medical Mutual in Ohio at a lower rate and very little underwriting. Don't let the thought of underwriting disuade you from applying. Unless it's a  major health issue you will more than likely be accepted in Ohio and it includes Silver Sneakers. Glad I made the change. I guess we were duped into thinking that by AARP endorsing a product that it would be the right choice for us.....Wrong!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 376

you can also check the SilverSneaker web site for coverage!

Silversneakers.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 376

Thanks for all the replies and comments about UHC by AARP, I just got off the phone from changing my supplement provider.  I now have a plan that's $175 cheaper for the same coverage and it includes Silver Sneakers.

I live in Ohio and ended up going with Medical Mutual of Ohio which for right now looks like the plan for me, good luck to you all in finding the plan for you!

Just one more thing, I also had to find out from my gym that UHC was dropping the Silver Sneaker program, you'd think that our supplement provider would be the one to tell us!

Thanks UHC for waking me up and saving me money in switching!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 376

Be careful. I switched to another plan and was assured Silver Sneakers or equivalent was included but found out after I received all the information by mail, that I had to PAY for membership per month. So ask the question, is it included FREE?  Live and learn.  Unfortunately we have to learn from each other and not depend on uninformed customer service representatives.  

Kudos
Views