Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 271 of 651

I  had the same experience. Very disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 272 of 651

FYI, your link does not work. I did find the names of participating companies but they just list the current companies for 2018. The list doesn't show that AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Insurance plan for 2019 is dropping Silver Sneakers. I'm so surprised that AARP let UCH get away with that. They are replacing it with a program through Optum called Health Your Way. Enrollees will be required to pay half of the gym membership. I was never notified by AARP or UHC of this change. I heard it from my gym. They don't have details. UHC can only tell me Silver Sneakers is terminating at the end of December and that a letter was sent out (probably after open enrollment ended). I could have enrolled in a group plan and continued with Silver Sneakers, but it is too late for 2019. I can't enroll in the new plan until Jan. 1 so my gym membership is up in the air. I also go to 3 different gyms and it sounds like I will only be able to go to one now. No one has been able to answer that question. All I know is that I'm goning to be out of pocket for my limited choices.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 273 of 651

ps - also planning to discontinue AARP membership.     

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 274 of 651

it's disgusting.      i talked with someone from united and she knew nothing either.    she even said "they're working on it"   i laughed.    my issue is that i've been happy with united's plan F coverage -- maybe i'll check humana or other plan F's and compare?       the person at united  i talked with did say we are 'grandfathered' in since they are not continuing plan F, but we all know they'll raise premiums to the point we'll have to change plans.....

valerieb
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 275 of 651

You can find a list of health plans in your state that offer SilverSneakers here:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Click on the company logo for specific plans that offer the benefit, as it may not be all plans in an area (as others have noted).

There's also an article with more background about this change (and the cool reception) here:

https://khn.org/news/seniors-steamed-over-cuts-to-silversneakers-fitness-program/

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 276 of 651
Thanks...called UHC and can't verify the Optum Fitness Advantage until after January 1.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 277 of 651

@sr32711449 wrote:

Good news: United Healthcare is still offering the benefit - but they are useing a new vedor: Optum Fitness Advantage. To sign up, go to their website: fitnessadvantage.optum.com 

I just found this out by calling United Healthcare. They were sweet and helpful - but I complained that they should have notified us of the change!

Optum will not translate to free membership at the fitness center. It will only cover half the cost of membership. So we would still be on the hook for the other half, plus higher premiums.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 278 of 651

@MaVolta wrote:

I noticed that Aetna is offering Silver Sneakers in 2018, replacing their current program, Silver & Fit. 

Be sure to check with Silver Sneakers that it is covered in your area. Aetna is listed on the Silver Sneakers website, but when I called SS and asked them for verification I was told it was not covered by Aetna in my area. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 279 of 651

I have applied to switch from UHC to Anthem BC/BS in Indiana. I am switching from Plan F to Plan G to save some money. Plus, Anthem does include Silver Sneakers with all of their supplement plans. If I had gone with Aetna I would have saved even more money, but they do not include SS in our area. What a hassle it is to shop around and get on the phone with these companies. But it's worth it.

I've spoken to agents for 3 companies and they all said they've been inundated with UHC people who are up in arms about the premiums rising and the benefits dropping.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 280 of 651

I also have switched from UHC plan F to Humana plan F in Arizona (same exact basic coverage, all F plans are the same), Humana still has Silver Sneakers. It saved me about $20 a month on premiums plus if I had kept UHC and paid 1/2 of my YMCA premium it would have been $30 a month. So switching has saved me $600 a year! I did not have to worry about underwriting because I had only been on medicare for 3 months.

I go through a broker, which I recommend....as it does not cost us, they are paid by the insurer.

My broker said we can change a Medigap plan anytime of the year (there may be underwriting....meaning you may have to answer a health questionnaire.) 

The things that CAN only be changed during open enrollment are Medicare part D (prescription) and Advantage plans.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season