Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 301 of 666

OK - so I called back today.  Completely dfifferent message - UHC are no longer going to support Silver Sneakers in California.  I will be switching to Blue Shield.  You have to wonder why the information is so confused...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 302 of 666

Please be sure to check out the Medicare.gov page for pulling up medigap policies in your area as a great way to get information:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/medigap-home.aspx

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 303 of 666

I want to clarify the California law for those people who have the AAPR-United Heath Care Medicare Supplemental plan.  In California, I found out it's really called the Guaranteed Issue Period.  We don't have an official "Open Enrollment" like the Medicare Advantage Plans.  In theory, I could change plans at any point during the year.  BUT if I do that the insurance company may or may not choose to give me a policy and it may be suject to "underwriting" where they look at my health, claims, etc.  The Guranteed Issue Period is found in the Califonia Insurance Code - Section 10192.11 (h)(1).  And I've pasted it below.  The bottom line is that within the 30 day period AFTER your birthday each year, you CAN change to a Medicare supplement polcy of the same or lesser benefit and the insurance company cannot deny coverage!

That being said, I intend to "shop" my coverage and will likely drop United Heath Care duing my 30 day period!  Good Luck Everyone!

(h) (1) An individual shall be entitled to an annual open enrollment period lasting 30 days or more, commencing with the individual’s birthday, during which time that person may purchase any Medicare supplement policy that offers benefits equal to or lesser than those provided by the previous coverage. During this open enrollment period, no issuer that falls under this provision shall deny or condition the issuance or effectiveness of Medicare supplement coverage, nor discriminate in the pricing of coverage, because of health status, claims experience, receipt of health care, or medical condition of the individual if, at the time of the open enrollment period, the individual is covered under another Medicare supplement policy or contract. An issuer shall notify a policyholder of his or her rights under this subdivision at least 30 and no more than 60 days before the beginning of the open enrollment period.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 304 of 666

Same letter we got in Wisconsin.  I switched to Cigna with Silver Fit which is accepted by our local Rec Center and I can participate in all Silver Sneaker classes for free and gym membership is included.  Same price as UHC and no underwriting. My husband slso switched his plan with savings of $600 per year. We switched prescription plans with savings of $148 each per year. If UHC hadn’t dropped Silver Sneakers, we would not have checked into any other options. So guess we owe them a thank you. We also learned that it may be worth the time to check into plan options each year. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 305 of 666
California's "Birthday Rule" means you can change to a plan with equal or less coverage within a 30 day window of Before and After your birthday, with no underwriting.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 306 of 666
That's really interesting. I'm in California and did not receive any notification the AARP/UHC was canceling Silver Sneakers. I found out about it when I went to my local health club and there was a notice at the sign in desk: "Effective January 1st, AARP is canceling support for the Silver Sneakers program". In my case, Silver Sneakers saved us over $600/yr in dues. To newer members of the health club, the savings could easily be double that. Bottom Line: it was the health club that informed us, not AARP/UHC. All we received was a notification of increased rates in 2019. On top of that, we also received a letter from our local pharmacy that, effective January 1, they could no longer honor "AARP's Prescription Drug Plan". That's the tripple whammy. We signed up for Blue Shield Plan F Extra, which offers Silver Sneakers and several other services not offered by AARP/UHC...and for less money than we'd be paying to continue with AARP/UHC. We also signed us for Silver Scripts Rx plan.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 307 of 666

Have found this in our office thousands of times by being independent and writing the best Medicare Supplement for the client, without seeking bells and whistles with a higher, accompanying monthly premium for the actual insurance.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 308 of 666

Don't know but I've discovered their cost for Silver Sneakers is probably included in their premium. I've switched to Aetna Plan G which saves me more than enough to cover the gym costs for my wife and myself so I no longer have to worry if my health insurance plan will continue with Silver Sneakers. I also changed our Part D that saves me more than $1,200 a year so I have to thank UHC for waking me up. They have lost some of my business but that's life.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 309 of 666

Here is what they sent to CA plan folks. You be the judge.
http://image.uhc-info.com/lib/fe9313707560027f7c/m/2/SS+All+but+OH.PDF

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 310 of 666

I just called the UHC rep intending to cancel my plan and get the Blue Shield extended Plan F.  But she assured me that UHC are NOT dropping Silver Sneakers here in California.  But they are in many other States - maybe they got a lot of cancellations?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors