Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 291 of 651
That's really interesting. I'm in California and did not receive any notification the AARP/UHC was canceling Silver Sneakers. I found out about it when I went to my local health club and there was a notice at the sign in desk: "Effective January 1st, AARP is canceling support for the Silver Sneakers program". In my case, Silver Sneakers saved us over $600/yr in dues. To newer members of the health club, the savings could easily be double that. Bottom Line: it was the health club that informed us, not AARP/UHC. All we received was a notification of increased rates in 2019. On top of that, we also received a letter from our local pharmacy that, effective January 1, they could no longer honor "AARP's Prescription Drug Plan". That's the tripple whammy. We signed up for Blue Shield Plan F Extra, which offers Silver Sneakers and several other services not offered by AARP/UHC...and for less money than we'd be paying to continue with AARP/UHC. We also signed us for Silver Scripts Rx plan.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 292 of 651

Have found this in our office thousands of times by being independent and writing the best Medicare Supplement for the client, without seeking bells and whistles with a higher, accompanying monthly premium for the actual insurance.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 293 of 651

Don't know but I've discovered their cost for Silver Sneakers is probably included in their premium. I've switched to Aetna Plan G which saves me more than enough to cover the gym costs for my wife and myself so I no longer have to worry if my health insurance plan will continue with Silver Sneakers. I also changed our Part D that saves me more than $1,200 a year so I have to thank UHC for waking me up. They have lost some of my business but that's life.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 294 of 651

Here is what they sent to CA plan folks. You be the judge.
http://image.uhc-info.com/lib/fe9313707560027f7c/m/2/SS+All+but+OH.PDF

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 295 of 651

I just called the UHC rep intending to cancel my plan and get the Blue Shield extended Plan F.  But she assured me that UHC are NOT dropping Silver Sneakers here in California.  But they are in many other States - maybe they got a lot of cancellations?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 296 of 651

In California, you can change your Supplement (Medigap) Plan during the National Open Enrollment period, which we are in right now AND during the 30 days following your Birthday.  The difference is: during the National Open Enrollment period you are subject to medical underwriting by most plans if you want to change, but during your "Birthday month" you can change to another plan of equal or lesser benefits with no medical underwriting.  So if you have any pre-existing conditions, and want to change to a different plan or company, your "Birthday month" is likely the best time to switch plans as you will not be penalized by medical underwriting.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 297 of 651

You need to look at exactly WHEN you can change.  I'm in California and since I had a "Medicare Supplement Plan", my 'open enrollment' is the month of my birthday.  Check this out carefully for your situation.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 298 of 651

Really disappointed to find this out, just got on Medicare 3 months ago and went with UHC by AARP but now that they are dropping silver sneakers I’ll be looking for another provider next year.  Would have been nice to know this in advance.  One other thing that rubs me raw, after signing up and before my coverage even began I got a notice that rates are also going up next year.  

A member for less than three months and very disappointed!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 299 of 651

The "birthday rule" is currently only available in California and Oregon.  Basically, the rule allows Medigap enrollees a 30 day window following their birthday each year when they can switch, without medical underwriting, to another Medigap plan with the same or lesser benefits.  If you live in one of  those states you still have the regular open enrollment period as well, but are subject to the medical underwriting during that period.

In New York and Connecticut, Medigap plans are guaranteed issue year-round.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 300 of 651

Dont know anything about the "birthday rule", but my "agent" is Aon which is through my former employer.  I have signed up with Humana plan F which is cheaper than UHC and includes  Silversneakers. You may just want to look at the Humana web site.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors