Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 281 of 638

Here is what they sent to CA plan folks. You be the judge.
http://image.uhc-info.com/lib/fe9313707560027f7c/m/2/SS+All+but+OH.PDF

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 282 of 638

I just called the UHC rep intending to cancel my plan and get the Blue Shield extended Plan F.  But she assured me that UHC are NOT dropping Silver Sneakers here in California.  But they are in many other States - maybe they got a lot of cancellations?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 283 of 638

In California, you can change your Supplement (Medigap) Plan during the National Open Enrollment period, which we are in right now AND during the 30 days following your Birthday.  The difference is: during the National Open Enrollment period you are subject to medical underwriting by most plans if you want to change, but during your "Birthday month" you can change to another plan of equal or lesser benefits with no medical underwriting.  So if you have any pre-existing conditions, and want to change to a different plan or company, your "Birthday month" is likely the best time to switch plans as you will not be penalized by medical underwriting.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 284 of 638

You need to look at exactly WHEN you can change.  I'm in California and since I had a "Medicare Supplement Plan", my 'open enrollment' is the month of my birthday.  Check this out carefully for your situation.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 285 of 638

Really disappointed to find this out, just got on Medicare 3 months ago and went with UHC by AARP but now that they are dropping silver sneakers I’ll be looking for another provider next year.  Would have been nice to know this in advance.  One other thing that rubs me raw, after signing up and before my coverage even began I got a notice that rates are also going up next year.  

A member for less than three months and very disappointed!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 286 of 638

The "birthday rule" is currently only available in California and Oregon.  Basically, the rule allows Medigap enrollees a 30 day window following their birthday each year when they can switch, without medical underwriting, to another Medigap plan with the same or lesser benefits.  If you live in one of  those states you still have the regular open enrollment period as well, but are subject to the medical underwriting during that period.

In New York and Connecticut, Medigap plans are guaranteed issue year-round.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 287 of 638

Dont know anything about the "birthday rule", but my "agent" is Aon which is through my former employer.  I have signed up with Humana plan F which is cheaper than UHC and includes  Silversneakers. You may just want to look at the Humana web site.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 288 of 638
I would love to talk with you and get information on your agent! The agent who sold me United Healthcare does NOT offer Anthem or Blue Shield, etc. etc. I really need to understand the "Birthday Rule."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 289 of 638

We are in California (San Diego county) and have just wrapped up our review with our agent.  We will be changing to Blue Shield Plan F Extra.  I can change Jan 1 under the birthday rule (I do have a pre-existing condition) and my husband should be able to change at the same time because he doesn't.  We compared it to Plan G and the extra premium will be offset, probably a little more than offset, by the vision care allowance and there is a slight possibility we would take advantage of the hearing aid allowance (though it will probably be difficult to beat Costco).  We basically settled on comparing Blue Shield to Anthem. I have a preference for Silver Sneakers over Silver & Fit for our own needs so that eliminated some other carriers. Anthem had the better pricing for Plan G for our situation.  

I don't completely understand the Community Rating and know there is a possibility that 10 years from now, I might look at UHC pricing and think it looks better than whatever Age Attained rated plan we are comparing it too, but once I factor in the gym membership, I think it will look OK.  For now, UHC was going to increase $336 in April and our new insurance that includes Silver Sneakers and Vision Care we will definitely take advantage of will be $318/month for 2019.  Once I I settled on comparing just the 2 carriers, I could review their rates for the same plan at varying ages and wasn't totally scared by what I saw.  

If you don't have an agent to help you narrow down the choices and answer your questions, get one.  They are paid by the insurance companies, not you, and represent many companies.  If you are stuck with UHC until you can take advantage of the birthday rule and your birthdate wouldn't let you make the change this December, wait until a few days after December 7 Open Enrollment ends before contacting an agent - they are extremely busy right now with people reviewing their Avantage Plans.  

However, this is the time to review your medications and make any change to your Part D Plan.  I changed ours yesterday and will save over $200/year given our current prescriptions, all Tier 1 generics.  

Now I will just have to decide if the Denny's discount is worth keeping our AARP membership.  I do enjoy the magazine, but I am pretty mad at them right now so.......

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 290 of 638
I too live in California and have RA. I got Plan F when I went on Medicare a couple of years ago at 65. I am desperately trying to figure out what I can and can't do! IF I'm reading your comments correctly, I CAN change to Anthem or someone else within 30 days of my birthday without going through underwriting! That means I'd only be stuck with United Healthcare until April. I think you're right that Plan G under United Healthcare will be community rated. The ONLY different is the payment of the $183 deductible. And if the premium cost is more than the $183, you're ahead of the game. I plan to call the CA Insurance Commission as I really don't want to do anything that messes me up and I can't seem to good answers from people!

Kudos
Views