WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Blue Shield's Plan F "Plus" costs less than Plan F & has SilverSneakers!

Message 261 of 603

This is all great if you don't have any pre-existing conditions, which I do.  In California, according to the Birthday rule, I can switch plans with no underwriting for 30 days after my birthday.  When my last birthday came along (in August) I got happy birthday wishes from AARP/UHC telling me what a great insurance plan I had but never did they say anything about dropping Silver Sneakers.  So I let that time period go away as I'm happy with my coverage otherwise.  Then, not 1 1/2 month later, I get the notice that they are dropping Silver Sneakers and my premium is going up.  Honestly, I would not drop my insurance coverage for only that reason, but I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about their lack of transparency with me.  I cannot image that they did not know in August that they were going to drop SS.  Next year, I will definately look at other policies during my birthday month and will do so from now on.  I may not find anything better to suit my particular situation, but "buyer beware".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 262 of 603

Outstanding!  I totally agree and I am changing to Humana, which for me, has the lowest rate in my area.  I don't understand why UHC is dropping a benefit, that in the long run, should reduce their expenses in providing us with medical insurance. I guress short term greed is more important than the health and welfare of their customers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Blue Shield's Plan F "Plus" costs less than Plan F & has SilverSneakers!

Message 263 of 603

In Silicon Valley area Blue Shield's Plan F "Plus" costs less than their Plan F, has added benefits ($100 of free contact lenses or a cost-break on spectacles; hearing aid benefit; etc.), and unlike UHC/AARP's 2019 offerings includes Silver Sneakers.  Blue Shield's eligibility questions inquire about health for past 3 years and so are slightly tougher than UHC's, which only inquire past 6 months, but if you're reasonably healthy you will likely qualify.  My BS "F-plus" 2019 premium will be around $17 higher than UHC's Plan F but my gym (24 hour SuperSport -- pool, towels, nice showers, great trainers) costs over $50 per month so even without the added "plus" benefits it would be worth it.  If your Rx's are mostly cheap generics, I recommend Aetna Medicare Rx Select (PDP) S5810-295; the monthly premium is under $20, and most common generics (blood pressure, lipids, HRT, 1st-&-2nd-generation antibiotics, etc.) have either a $0 (zero) or $3 copay.

So, for under $200 per month you get great Plan F-Plus coverage and a good Rx plan!  Note that Kaiser Senior Advantage, whose base premium (includes Part D) is $105 if you opt for their "Plus" (which includes Silver-and-Fit, pretty much same as Silver Sneakers, plus dental, hearing, and eye benefits), but you have $30 copay for each visit to clinician, lab, etc., and they slap on another $250 if you need an outpatient procedure (e.g., cataracts, etc.); plus their pharmacy copays for Tier 1 and 2 will be $5 and $10, and almost nothing is on Tier 1.  So in the end, unless you haven't yet gotten your Shingrix, it's pretty much a wash financially and of course with Kaiser you have to use their doctors -- and if you need Physical Therapy then all I can say is "good luck!"

If you haven't gotten your Shingrix, and you don't mind being in Kaiser for a year, and you're willilng to risk getting a medical problem in the next year that would disqualify you from a Part-B secondary, then you'll be delighted to know that at Kaiser ALL immunizations are FREE -- including Shingrix!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 264 of 603

I am extremely disappointed with AARP UHC dropping Silversneakers.  I am changing my Medicare Medgap to Humana which will continue to have Silversneakers in 2019.  Additionally their rates, for both plan G and F, are slightly cheaper. If AARP is truely concerned about the health of its membership, I would strongly encourage AARP to end it's relationship with UHC. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 265 of 603

Well said byboth of you!! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 266 of 603

Well said! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 267 of 603
Well said.
Told AARP to take me off their mailing list for other products ( life insurance ).
I’m going with Blue Shield for Part D.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 268 of 603

This isn't about "corruption", per se.  AARP made the decision to license the rights to its name to the highest bidder.  It turned out to be UnitedHealth Care.  The irony is that while AARP does not have any involvement in UnitedHealthCare's decision to drop the Silver Sneakers program, many health clubs are telling their members that "AARP is dropping Silver Sneakers".  That's the problem with licensing your name.  Also keep in mind that Silver Sneakers is not a benefit mandated by Medicare. It is an incentive to get people to sign up with, in this instance, UnitedHealthCare.  Because this incentive is not a mandated Medicare benefit, any company offering it as part of a Medi-Gap or Supplemental Insurance Plan can elect to remove it.  Many other insurerers continue to offer Silver Sneakers as a 100% paid benefit.  I'm dropping my AARP/UHC supplemental insurance plan in favor of one from Blue Shield.  They offer Silver Sneakers and their rates for me are less than AARP/UHC. This is a classic example of what happens when you give YOUR customer a reason to shop at one of your competitors.  Not only do you lose the Customer, it will cost you dearly to get them back.  As long as Blue Shield delivers the services I want, for a price I can afford, they will have my business. This has not only driven me away from UHC, it has also undermined my faith in AARP.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 269 of 603

You are absolutely correct. Medicare should investigate corruption, greed, and misrepresentations within the insurance companies as well as AARP.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 270 of 603

I am very disappointed by the relationship between AARP and United Health. I have done my research and after two years with these two organizations, I am joining Humana because they are committed to silver sneakers program.  Everyone needs to know that the United program is not silver sneakers . I spoke to my brother in law who was in the same situation last year as I am now.  He was informed of the aarp united drop weeks after open enrollment and was forced to use optum advantage program owned by united.  He has been unhappy all year and now will be joining Humana like me.  I have done further research and have uncovered the fact that AARP and United have a financial relationship. They don't care about their members.   HUMANA and silver sneakers do!!  I am telling all my friends what everyone should know.   Financial greed is not in the best of interest of seniors

Kudos
Views