Are you as smart as a high-tech car? Take this quiz and test your knowledge.
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 11 of 347
Well said.
Told AARP to take me off their mailing list for other products ( life insurance ).
I’m going with Blue Shield for Part D.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 347

This isn't about "corruption", per se.  AARP made the decision to license the rights to its name to the highest bidder.  It turned out to be UnitedHealth Care.  The irony is that while AARP does not have any involvement in UnitedHealthCare's decision to drop the Silver Sneakers program, many health clubs are telling their members that "AARP is dropping Silver Sneakers".  That's the problem with licensing your name.  Also keep in mind that Silver Sneakers is not a benefit mandated by Medicare. It is an incentive to get people to sign up with, in this instance, UnitedHealthCare.  Because this incentive is not a mandated Medicare benefit, any company offering it as part of a Medi-Gap or Supplemental Insurance Plan can elect to remove it.  Many other insurerers continue to offer Silver Sneakers as a 100% paid benefit.  I'm dropping my AARP/UHC supplemental insurance plan in favor of one from Blue Shield.  They offer Silver Sneakers and their rates for me are less than AARP/UHC. This is a classic example of what happens when you give YOUR customer a reason to shop at one of your competitors.  Not only do you lose the Customer, it will cost you dearly to get them back.  As long as Blue Shield delivers the services I want, for a price I can afford, they will have my business. This has not only driven me away from UHC, it has also undermined my faith in AARP.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 347

You are absolutely correct. Medicare should investigate corruption, greed, and misrepresentations within the insurance companies as well as AARP.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 347

I am very disappointed by the relationship between AARP and United Health. I have done my research and after two years with these two organizations, I am joining Humana because they are committed to silver sneakers program.  Everyone needs to know that the United program is not silver sneakers . I spoke to my brother in law who was in the same situation last year as I am now.  He was informed of the aarp united drop weeks after open enrollment and was forced to use optum advantage program owned by united.  He has been unhappy all year and now will be joining Humana like me.  I have done further research and have uncovered the fact that AARP and United have a financial relationship. They don't care about their members.   HUMANA and silver sneakers do!!  I am telling all my friends what everyone should know.   Financial greed is not in the best of interest of seniors

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 347

I agree with that because the Plan G will continue to take on younger people.  With Plan F being closed to new people, it will mean that the average age of policy holders will continue to rise, therefore the premiums would likely rise faster.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 347

I think that in Indiana the AARP/UH Plan G is community-rated. Therefore, theoretically, after the 12-year discount period ends (age 77), the premium should no longer increase (except for increses caused by the loss and risk experience of the Plan G community as a whole). This should be an advantage in the long run. Let me know if you disagree.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 347

Actually, I don't think your comment that "supplemental is always community rated" is correct.  Maybe in your state it is?  I know that in California most supplemental policies are rated using age at issue or age attained.  AARP/UHC is one of the only companies that offer community rated policies (at least in my community in California).  Everyone should figure that the Part B Deductible will go up every year as well as the basic Medicare premium and the bump that higher-income people have to pay.  It's amazing to me the differnce in premium prices of the same Medigap Plans by geographic location. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 347
I have a Medicare Advantage plan which was Healthnet and then became Allwell. Under Healthnet there was Silver Sneakers per my agent. Under Allwell, they don't mention it. Our county, we only had once choice for a Medicare Advantage. This year we have a 2nd - Humana. You are correct - I compared plans and 3 of my 5 prescriptions weren't covered (as compared to the 1 out of 6 under Allwell), and my costs for various medical situations including copays, is higher. Overall, if I stay with my current plan as compared to Humana, I could join all 5 gyms in town. I do use an agent - when I first became eligible under disability, I thought I was confused when all I could find was one plan. Ends up I wasn't, but the agent is very good at comparing options and advising me of expected drugs costs for the year. The agent doesn't cost me anything, so it is still one thing under the medicare rules that benefits us.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Just a Caution about changing plans

Message 19 of 347

In the county I live in, in Arizona, we only had one choice for a plan which was Healthnet now changed to Allwell. This year there is a 2nd option (Humana) but the costs for meds and other expenses, but especially prescriptions, would cost me more. So it is very important for those who have more options on plans to compare them carefully, byond the premiums. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 347

Thanks for some useful information. In Ohio my independent health advisory insurance company is suggesting Plan G over F as well. F will not be available to new applicants starting in 2020. They are saying G is the same as F except for the $183 deductable and is significantly cheaper. (I do wonder once F is gone how much the deductable will be raised...)Some of the You Tube videos are saying the same thing. One of them showed a graph of how F, G, and N go up as we age. F went up something like 9% and G and N went up 3.5%. I seriously don't know why this has to be so complicated! 

Kudos
Views