Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 331 of 642

Is not a plan G identical to plan F except they don't pay the Part D deductable? And the part G premiums are low enough to easily cover that deductable plus some?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 332 of 642

I'm looking at a Humana plan G. It appears the same as the AARP UHC plan F except it doesn't pay the Part B deductible. ($185 for 2019) The Humana G  premiums are currently $30.00 per month less than the UHC plan F and in April they will be $49.00 less per month less and Humana provides Silver Sneakers for 2019.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 333 of 642

@John85259

This is from BCBS Medigap - Arizona 2017 premiums and ratings outline  booklet.  You can see it at the link (end of booklet) since the pdf does not always  copy and paste completely correct, you can look at it there.  I could not find a more up-to-date one but I am sure you SHOULD have gotten one.

https://www.azblue.com/~/media/AZBlue/Files/Misc_PDFs/Med_Supp_Outline_of_Coverage_Broker.pdf

Make sure that everything is in writing from the horses mouth.  To make sure there is no misunderstanding down the road.

Read your policy very carefully This is only an outline describing your policy’s most important features. The policy is your Medicare supplement insurance contract. You must read the policy itself to understand all of the rights and duties of both you and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona.

Right to return policy If you nd that you are not satis ed with your policy, you may return it to: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Enrollment Services Department P.O. Box 13466 Phoenix, Arizona 85002-3466 If you send the policy back to BCBSAZ within 30 days after you receive it, BCBSAZ will treat the policy as if it had never been issued and return all of your payments.

Policy replacement:   If you are replacing another health insurance policy, do NOT cancel it until you have actually received your new policy and are sure you want to keep it.

Notice • This policy may not fully cover all of your medical costs. • Neither Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona nor its contracted brokers are connected with Medicare. •

This outline of coverage does not give all the details of Medicare coverage. Contact your local Social Security Of ce or consult “Medicare & You” for more details.

Complete answers are very important When you ll out the application for the new policy, be sure to answer truthfully and completely all questions about your medical and health history. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona may cancel your policy and refuse to pay any claims if you leave out or falsify important medical information.

Review the application carefully before you sign it. Be certain that all information has been properly recorded.

What Medicare.gov says about changing a Medigap policy -

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies

How to switch Medigap policies

If you decide to change insurance companies, call the new insurance company and arrange to apply for your new Medigap policy. If your application is accepted, call your current insurance company, and ask for your coverage to end. The insurance company can tell you how to submit a request to end your coverage.

Medigap free-look period

You have 30 days to decide if you want to keep the new Medigap policy. This is called your "free look period." The 30-day free look period starts when you get your new Medigap policy. You'll need to pay both premiums for one month.

Don't cancel your first Medigap policy until you've decided to keep the second Medigap policy. On the application for the new Medigap policy, you'll have to promise that you'll cancel your first policy.

I am not doubting anybody here about their ability to switch to another Medigap policy /insurer without underwriting - but it does help to make sure that policies and ratings are understood correctly and you use the Protections in place if a problem does crop up.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 334 of 642

I ‘m leaving aarp/united healthcare also

signing up with anthem blue cross I have a medigap plan that will save me $100 a month plus have silver sneakers.  I’ve been with the previous plan since 2006

i’m glad aarp/united healthcare made the change.  They saved me a lot of money.

Happy I dropped them!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 335 of 642

Here's the latest news from my corner of the universe.  Last Sunday, Oct 27, 2018 I signed up with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for Plan F, which is the plan I had with AARP-United Healthcare.  BCBS-AZ coverage will start on Nov 1, 2018.  I didn't give them much notice and they won't have all the paperwork processed for another week or so, but they told me that my policy will be in effect on Nov 1 and they'll send me the paperwork in the next week or so.  I got this story from the drug plan side of BCBS-AZ and the Medicare supplement people at BCBS-AZ so I'm confident that they are giving me the straight scoop.

Today (Oct 30) I called AARP-United Healthcare and told them that I would be leaving effective end of day Oct 31.  The person I spoke to asked why I was leaving and I told her it was because of the absence of SilverSneakers in their 2019 package.  I told her I had done a fairly exhaustive evaluation of insurance plans before I signed up with AARP-United Healthcare and I had every expectation of being a long term customer, but this changed only 3 weeks later when they sent me a letter saying that SilverSneakers would be gone in 2019 and replaced with something much less appealing.

Whether hearing this will have any effect on what United Healtcare does in the future is anyone's guess.  My guess is that the corporate weenies who run the show have made a commitment that works in the favor of United Healthcare and this will make them shine in the eyes of their superiors, so the chances of anyone making an effort to restore SilverSneakers are likely to be zero.  There's always the chance that someone with commonsense and the welfare of their customers in mind will rock the boat and try to restore SilverSneakers to their Medigap customers, but in my opinion it's more likely that the Moon will fall into the Pacific Ocean long before that happens.

An interesting insight was offered by the guy I spoke to at BCBS-AZ.  He told that he's talked to a good number of AARP-United Healthcare customers who are looking at BCBS-AZ.  He said they typically ask two questions.  The first question is whether BCBS-AZ has SilverSneakers or something similar.  (His answer is yes, they have Silver and Fit.)  The second question is whether BCBS-AZ has any plans to discontinue Silver and Fit in the future.  (His answer is not as far as he knows, but things could always change.)  So it appears that others are considering changing their insurance provider.

The price for Plan F from BCBS-AZ is a couple dollars a month cheaper than AARP-United Healthcare.  Their drug plans are almost exactly the same price.  There will be an inflation-cost of living increase in April, which has been 2%-3% for the last few years.  Later in the year in the month of my birth there will a second adjustment that is due to me being a year older (and probably not a year wiser but we'll see...).  He told me what that amount would be and it was the same as what I would have paid with my AARP-United Healthcare insurance, but I didn't write it down.  About $20/month is the increase that comes to mind.  When I hit 73 the age related increases will stop and I'll be paying full price, which currently is $260.38/month.  (I happened to write it down so I have it at hand.)

I began my experience with AARP-United Healthcare in September and it will be coming to an end after only 2 months.  I'm glad that I found an alternative that is the same price and has the added benefit of Silver and Fit, but I'm unhappy that I had to go through all this nonsense because United Healthcare decided to ditch SilverSneakers and replace it with something that isn't nearly as good.  It may not have been important to them, but it's important to a subset of their customers and we are voting with our checkbook.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 336 of 642

UHC its been nice but I'll search for another plan with Silver sneakers, my primary physician and the other benefits.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 337 of 642

So my agent came over yesterday and we discussed the different plans.  And I decided to leave AARP/United Health Care and go with Medical Mutual (Anthem).  The plan was 0 cost to me and I have better benefits including Silver Sneakers which I am happy about.  Then she went and saw my neighbor and she has the same plan.  So out of 3 of us neighbors two of us left UHC.   I am curious as to how many leave due to the changes.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 338 of 642

Not any available in my part of California!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 339 of 642

I called UHC's 1-800 number and asked about Silver Sneakers being dropped for the AARP F plan.  I got the same story about the 50% payment for a membership, and we will not be able to go to more than one gym, unless you want to pay 1/2 of a membership at many gyms.  I also told them the only reason I had signed up with them was for the gym membership.  The gentleman I spoke to was very compassionate. I told him I would be looking for another plan that had the silver sneakers.  They are going to lose quite a few subscribers.  He said he would pass my concern on, and that UHC was having them document all concerns.  If you are concerned, I suggest calling 1-800-523-5800 to voice your concern.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 340 of 642

We were able to find another provider with Guaranteed Issue that will include SilverSneakers, Humana Connect.  I have switched to Plan F as is my husband.  It is a little more than we would pay next year with AARP United HC, but with Silver Sneakers we will save money.  I planned to switch to Plan F before it is eliminated for new enrollees Jan 1 of 2020 anyway, so I just did it a year early.  The representative said it was unlikely we would pass medical underwriting even by AARP United HC which tends to be a little more lenient. AARP is requiring medical underwriting to switch to Plan G effective Oct 2018 if you are on a lower plan at present.  I understand that companies are within their rights to change extra benefits, but those benefits weighed in our decision to pick them.  I will avoid using a Medicare Advantage plan for as long as I can bear the extra cost of using standard Medicare and a supplement or gap plan.  Medicare is very easy to use.  Having been a hospital CEO and RN I can assure you that Medicare Advantage plans are great until you have a catastrophic illness and want to go to somewhere outside your network or need a treatment or test for which Medicare allows, but your Advantage Plan does not. Being able to do so saved my husband's life. Traveling and living part of the year in more than one place as many retirees do can also be difficult.  AARP should have had things in place for a Silver Sneakers replacement. They are working on it, but many zipcodes are not served with an alternate at present. 

Kudos
Views