Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Regular Contributor

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

I guess like all who have the "silver sneakers" card will become another worthless trash item.

United Health Care will discontinue your membership starting 1/1/18.

I am glad I went and purchased my own gym since but it is my guess that many others

do not have the money or the room for it like I do.

I had been using mine for treadmill and sauna during the cold times. the rest of the year i was

wlaking locally or golf course walking and swinging.

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

Periodic Contributor

JUST AN FYI.  I just called  Humana and Blue Cross.  Both offer Silver Sneakers  in NC for the 2019 year.  But, premiums for myself and my wife will be over $100.00 more each month even with a 5% auto pay discount. 

Regular Contributor

I'm appalled that AARP would discontinue such a valuable and money saving wellness program.  I will be checking to see which insurance companies in CA see the value in offerning Silver Sneakers and I will switch my plan.

Counter-productive and kind of stupid in my humble opinion.

Contributor

I disagree with AARP's decision to drop Silver Sneakers.  Both my wife and I use the gym.  The Flip50 program that AARP is encouraging will cost $35 per month for each of us, and instead of having 7 gyms with pools in a 10 mile radius from our house, we will have one, and it's outdoor.  If I join my current gym, it will cost $25 per person, so Flip50 is certainly no bargain.  AARP should reconsider.

Regular Contributor

I want to add my voice to the people upset by our supplemental plan not covering Silver Sneakers next year.  I immediately asked my agent to see if we could switch to another plan.  

Unlike some, we are fortunate that our usual gym is at least offered under their new program, but it doesn't cut it for us.  We travel and have really loved the ability to join other gyms when we are in the area.  I figured it was in the insurer's best interest to encourage exercise and that's why it was offered.  I am disappointed that AARP doesn't push UHC to continue the benefit.  So much for advocacy.

Periodic Contributor

My gym was under the new Optum program.  However, I could join the gym for no cost but the classes that I used to take for free were now going to cost me.  They failed to tell me that last year when they said my gym was in their program.  Just frustrating.

Honored Social Butterfly

@v104 wrote:

I disagree with AARP's decision to drop Silver Sneakers.  Both my wife and I use the gym.  The Flip50 program that AARP is encouraging will cost $35 per month for each of us, and instead of having 7 gyms with pools in a 10 mile radius from our house, we will have one, and it's outdoor.  If I join my current gym, it will cost $25 per person, so Flip50 is certainly no bargain.  AARP should reconsider.

I believe that the AARP/Tivity Health Flip50 Program has other benefits than just the gym -

https://www.flippingfifty.com/

and it is also available to more of the AARP membership (50 and over).  Silver Sneakers covered only 65 and over with Medicare private insurers - Medicare Advantage or .Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I also protest dropping Silver Sneakers. If the person who thinks the new program is better would be willing to give me an additional $375./year to join this "new" program that would be great. Meanwhile, I wonder where AARP support for Seniors is to keep this program for those of us who can use it and can't afford an additional $375/year on top of $145/mo. for the supplement insurance. (Oh- I forgot. AARP gets a "cut" from UHC. Seems like a conflict of interest to me...) One of the reasons I chose UHC was the free Silver Sneakers program. I would love to pick another insurance but with the requirement of "applying" to another insurance and being accepted, I am probably stuck with UHC. Still, that won't stop me from telling clients and friends to choose a different program when they sign up...

Periodic Contributor

Does anyone know of a plan that includes Silver Sneakers for a comparable price to United Health Care?  The decision to drop that benefit seems very ill advised to me.  I would think that fit Seniors would be beneficial to the plan and save money rather than cost money.

United Health Care, reverse your decision.  

Periodic Contributor

Not any available in my part of California!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In Ohio for 2019 Medical Mutual offers a very aggressive rate. In fact a couple bucks less than UHC.

Contributor

I have enjoyed the benfits of Silver Sneakers since I retired 3 years ago.  I am living on Social Security and there is no way I could have afforded to go to a gym.  I was recently diagnosed with osterperesis and my Doctor said to start using weight machines.  Now that this "benefit" (I believe we have all actually been paying for it, in part, in our insurance premiums and AARP membership fees).   I no longer have the option of going to a gym.  I have long supported AARP and am now wondering where my fees are going every 3 years when I pay my AARP dues.  I thought AARP had my back.  If not, then who does?  Is AARP still relevant?  Does AARP need to replaced?

Contributor

Just adding my bark to all the others bemoaning UHC's drop of Silver Sneakers. To date I have 155 gym visits in 2018 as a Silver Sneaker. Maybe that's why my claims on UHC insurance have been so low???

Periodic Contributor

I have to say that in addition to being disappointed in UHC and their decision to drop a very valuable benefit next year, I am even more disappointed in AARP. 

AARP touts itself as being the advocate for seniors so it is very surprising to me that this organization did not use its considerable influence to dissuade UHC from dropping the Silver Sneakers program from the Medicare plans co-branded with AARP.

The 2019 discount program will strain the already tight budgets of many seniors and the Flip50 program will not be affordable for many, even with the small discount for AARP members.

Keeping seniors fit, socially engaged and healthy should be a major goal for both UHC and AARP.

Periodic Contributor

We will also be switching to another medigap plan provider.  It seems to me that keepiing seniors healthy by providing Silver Sneakers would be in the best interests of UHC.  I take Silver Sneakers/Senior Fitness classes at my local gym 5 days a week and enjoy being able to take classes at another particpating facility when we travel.  With the new so-called "benefit" we will lose the portability of Silver Sneakers and the abiilty to just show our cards to take classes or use the gym when we are away from home.  Now we'll have to join each club, maybe pay an enrollment fee and a membership fee.. 

At least half of the people I take classes with now will have to drop out of our gym unless they also swich to another provider.  Many of my gym buddies are on fixed incomes with very tight budgets and will not be able to afford the gym membership fees. A discount will not help them.

Very disappointing decision UHC!!  It so obvious that they are are a for-profit company and that profits come before people.

Periodic Contributor

My wife and I received the notice today that the AARP Supplement Plan will drop Silver Sneakers. Accordingly, we will drop the AARP Supplement Plan and we will both drop out of AARP.

A Concerned, informed senior
Contributor

Silver Sneakers is also being dropped in North Carolina. As others have stated this will be another dent in our monthly retirement budget if we choose to continue our exercise program at the YMCA.  It has been such a treat to be able to join the Y and take advantage of the programs offered.  I  guess it's more important for United Health Care to make more profit.  Just shows you that many, many seniors were taking advantage of Silver Sneakers that they started to loose money.  All they have done is take away something good and NOT give anything better.  Maybe for them but not better for seniors.

I think it is time to cancel my AARP Membership and take my Silver Sneakers to another health provider.    Looks like AARP is no different that any of our branches of government.  Very, very, sad.  Those in charge dine on the apathy of the voter.

Contributor

Iโ€™m getting ready to enroll.  No UHC for me.  UHC makes obscene money.  AARP should drop their endorsement for the UHC supplemental plans.  I love the YMCA.

Contributor

I think this also reduces the value of belonging to AARP.

Regular Contributor

It's time for AARP to look into changing their recommended Medigap carrier from United Health Care. The discontinuance of the Silver Sneakers program in Ohio is just another method of raising premiums in a non transparent manner. At the least the premiums should have been reduced to reflect the loss of coverage. Medical Mutual and well as many other carriers continue to have Silver Sneakers in their program.Time to stop following the endorsed carrier odf AARP and time to look after what is best for me. Very disappointed!

Periodic Contributor

For those wanting to change Medgap coverage please also read : https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/switching-medigap-policies/ . Use a Licensed Health Insurance Broker in your state to make the changes.!!!!!

Periodic Contributor

I received notice that United Health Care Insurance Company will no longer offer the Silver Sneakers Program in Ohio.

I am on a limited income and this was a valuable benefit that I used weekly! You offer a YMCA discounted membership at a discount of 50% in its place-this will cut into my meager income.

So now you can increase your stock dividend. and your executive compensation with the additional income that this cost saving will provide the company.

Your form letter begins โ€œAs you known, at UnitedHealth care, we are committed to providing you with a wide variety of health and well services โ€œ. You do have a commitment but the commitment is not to my health but to greater profits!

Keith A. Mann

1175 Calla Road East, A123

Poland, Ohio 44514

Regular Contributor

All that Optimum does is give you a code for the 50% off.  I called the 888-887-5963.  I asked if my reaction was shared by other callers.  The lady said yes.  I asked if she was reporting to her supervisor how unhappy customers were and she said no - she hadn't.

We need to make sure people we interface with are reporting our calls.  I asked her to please talk to everyone in her phone bank and have them let higher ups know how many unhappy people there are.

I also let her know - and asked her to pass on - that in CA, for my plan F, Humana is offering Silver Sneakers and the cost is $11/month more.  

Periodic Contributor

I checked Humana here in Indiana, and the cost is actually about 50 cents less than United Healthcare.  That's for 2018.  If the same holds true for 2019, I will be changing.

Contributor

Seniors: 

So Silver Sneakers is being eliminated- wow! Subtle change to Medigap plans. Hope you see it as it is- somewhere government funding has been cut. Sooooo logical place to cut- programs that only some Seniors use. Please vote in November- #Sneaky Paul Ryan!

Honored Social Butterfly

@johnamymc wrote:

Seniors: 

So Silver Sneakers is being eliminated- wow! Subtle change to Medigap plans. Hope you see it as it is- somewhere government funding has been cut. Sooooo logical place to cut- programs that only some Seniors use. Please vote in November- #Sneaky Paul Ryan!

Medicare, Medigap nor the government has anything to do with Silver Sneakers.

It was an EXTRA benefit added on by UHC to entice beneficiaries to pick their plan.

They still have a health and wellness plan - not Silver Sneakers and it comes with only a discount to participating gyms.

Same thing with AARP - they are developing a plan called Flip50 with Trivity Health, the parent company of Silver Sneakers.  Again. It is not free but a discount off the normal rate of $44 a month.  It covers the demographics of AARP - meaning the over 50 crowd.  It also covers more - health, wellness, nutrition - I made a separate thread about it if you want to check out the links which I provided.

Again, I am cautioning those talking about changing Medigap (Medicare supplemental ) plans to just make sure that you don't get involved in medical underwriting or pre-existing condition time limit exclusions or much higher premiums depending upon how the Medigap insurer determines their premiums.

Just don't cancel your current Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan until you know you have a new one at the terms that are acceptable to you. 

A couple of good links on canceling or switching Medigap (supplemental) plans

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa-tool/cancel-medigap-can-i-reenroll-at-open-enrollment/

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

I will at least take a look at the plans that continue to offer Silver Sneakers.

The proposed replaced plan put forward by United Healthcare is not even close to the Silver Sneakers plan. First you need to pay 50% assuming your Y or gym participates; also the number of gyms you can go to is more limited.

Periodic Contributor

Why is AARP even involved with United Healthcae?  AARP you are supposed to be our advocate, not a sales agency for a company who pays CEO millions of dollars a year?  I bet that CEO belongs to expensive country clubs and does not have to rely on local pool. AARP  do your job....

Periodic Contributor

"Why is AARP even involved with United Healthcae?  AARP you are supposed to be our advocate, not a sales agency for a company who pays CEO millions of dollars a year?  I bet that CEO belongs to expensive country clubs and does not have to rely on local pool. AARP  do your job...."

GREAT COMMENT!

Periodic Contributor

This is totally disgusting.  I attend the Silver Sneakers classes at our local pool 3 times a week along with about 30 others.  We are trying to stay healthy but  it seems you would rather pay for medical care than for programs to keep us healthy. On top of everything else, you raised  our premiums. The seniors cannot afford to pay pool fees.  Big Corporate has won again.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP