From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 321 of 603

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. Our local Recreation Center that now offers Silver Sneaker classes five days a week, is looking at various options to make the classes available to everyone regardless of insurance coverage.  One idea is a low fee per month without having to pay membership fees.  Perhaps a facility in your area will also agree to work with you and others in the same situation on an affordable alternative.

Otherwise, have you looked into your local Senior Center?  Our Senior Center membership per year is reasonable ($33 per year) and offers an exercise class once a week.  In addition there is an exercise class with a nurse once a month. They also have many social activities to keep you busy.

Our local hospital has free classes for cancer patients and survivors, generally Yoga classes.  Perhaps your hospital has the same.  

It is unfortunate that AARP does not seem to be our Advocate in this matter with UHC.  Silence is all we have heard.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 322 of 603

Very upset. Had ins agent in home to change to health ins company that still offers SS. Seems because I'm a cancer survivor (precondition) disqualifies me from changing health insurance or else paying as much as if I built my own pool. Be carefull was shocked to find out I could be refused or forced to pay mega bucks to change. The W wants $40.00 a month is that $480.00 a year? Some gyms @$29.99 a month plus enrollment fees app $100.00 is that 400.00 a year. Thankyou AARP very very much.  Our AARP membership expires in 2024 won't be renewed, our multi vehicles and homes insurance willnot be renewed with The Hartford. Your loyalty to us deserves the same in return.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 323 of 603

If you're annoyed by the discussion stop reading it. I have found a lot of useful information in the comments!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 324 of 603

Perhaps there are endless comments because a very large number of people feel misled.  I would think the purpose of this forum would be for members to exchange information and opinions.  That is what is happening here.  Many people signed up for the AARP promoted UHC program specifically for the SS benefit.  No one is forcing you to read this, unless you work for one of the organizations and are trying to intimidate the people expressing their thoughts and opinions.  If you are tired of the posts, quit reading them.  Let the people who want to express their views do so.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 325 of 603

You are missing the point.  First of all, we are not talking about Advantage and Complete plans.  Those plans DO include Silver Sneakers or an accepted version of it.  Silver Sneakers being dropped affects those with Medigap policies.  Everyone does make a choice and I made the choice to pay a monthly premium for AARP UHC Supplemental because it fit my personal needs AND included Silver Sneakers.  I believed the sales pitch that SS was an added value at no extra charge because Senior Health is very important to them. Obviously, the only thing important to them is their bottom line and enormous bonuses.  Kickbacks from Medicare and others to the insurance companies is more for Advantage and Complete plans than for Medigap plans and this is not right.  

If this subject annoys you, so be it. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 326 of 603
Well stated - let's hope this puts an end to the endless comments about this subject. Everyone has a choice - make the best one for you and your family.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 327 of 603

@NancyR150749 wrote:

SS is not a requirement of Medicare medigap plans. It's just a perk the various insurance companies use to distinguish themselves and lure customers to buy their medigap plan..  I don't think complaining to Medicare will do anything.  If insurers like UTC lose customers because they take away a benefit, then they listen.  

True, the "Star Rating"'system does ONLY affect Medicare Advantage plans but people here are also complaining about the SilverSneakers program being removed from those UHC /AARP plans as well - even though it seems to being replaced by one that is designed by UHC.

Medigap or Medicare Supplemental plans are not really Medicare insurance - they are ONLY GAP coverage with specific gap coverage based on what traditional Medicare pays -

Any insurance company that is offering any special benefit outside of the traditional Medicare coverage requirements are only offering it as a marketing enticement to get enrollment in their GAP plan and it can go away at anytime.

If Silver Sneakers or any of these special things is important to a beneficiary, then all they have to do is switch from traditional Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan and then EVERY year during open enrollment they can switch to whatever Medicare Advantage plan they want to keep whatever benefits they deem necessary for themselves.

Premiums for Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plans can increase every year based on several things - all under the scrutiny of any particular state.  The way these types of policies are rated as set down by not only traditional Medicare rules but also state specific rules - community-rated, Issue-age rated, Attained age rated.

You have the "birthday rule" in CA - other states don't have that rule.  

In fact many seniors in the traditional Medicare program do not have ANY Medigap coverage.  Their income is too much for Medicare / Medicaid or Extra Help but their income is too low for paying a monthly Medigap plan.  

Many disabled people on SSDI who have done their 24 month time and are time on Medicare and choose the traditional program do not have access to any Medigap policy until they reach 65 years old.  

I just don't understand all the complaints here about a Medigsp policy that is dropping some special option when there was no assurance that it would stay a special offering.  Especially when a senior has other choices - that's what people (anybody) are suppose to do with health insurance - pick the plan that is best for them.  

If traditional Medicare is not the best choice for a person's needs - look to a plan that is - in this case, go to a Medicare Advantage plan where it can be changed every year during open enrollment.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 328 of 603

SS is not a requirement of Medicare medigap plans. It's just a perk the various insurance companies use to distinguish themselves and lure customers to buy their medigap plan..  I don't think complaining to Medicare will do anything.  If insurers like UTC lose customers because they take away a benefit, then they listen.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 329 of 603

@kk9436

Why don't you complain to MEDICARE

Medicare.gov - Complaint Form

Maybe it will affect the insurers "Star Rating" - meaning it will affect their pocketbook.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 330 of 603

I just called UHC 800-523-5800 and spoke to a Medicare customer service representative to file a complaint for dropping SS in California.  I encourage others to do the same!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors