From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 401 of 651

@sr81611793 wrote:

I'm in Arizona and have Plan F.  My premium went up $20 per month in 2019.  This with moving to their new fitness program that only pays 50% of the gym membership (I go to the 'Y') is $50 a month.  WOW!  My insurance broker found a rate $10 lower than I am currently paying and has silver sneakers.  Humana.

Now my concern is that the 'Y' won't take SS but there are a lot of fitness options in Phoenix so I'm going with Humana.

Is the new plan a Plan F also?  I'm still in the old Plan J and it has gone up $20 also.  It's my understanding that most plans will go up each year because we are a year older.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 402 of 651

I'm in Arizona and have Plan F.  My premium went up $20 per month in 2019.  This with moving to their new fitness program that only pays 50% of the gym membership (I go to the 'Y') is $50 a month.  WOW!  My insurance broker found a rate $10 lower than I am currently paying and has silver sneakers.  Humana.

Now my concern is that the 'Y' won't take SS but there are a lot of fitness options in Phoenix so I'm going with Humana.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 403 of 651

All Medigap/Medicare supplement plans of the same letter have to provide exactly the same insurance benefits from plan to plan.  In other words, any other company's Plan F would cover exactly the same benefits as your UHC Plan F.

Insurer's are allowed to charge different premiums and offer different perks such as Silver Sneakers to entice subscribers.

You are happy with your plan and sticking with it no doubt.  For myself I found another insurer offering my same Plan N at $6 cheaper per month in 2019 than what UHC is charging in 2018.  They are also still offering Silver Sneakers.  For me that is a big savings.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 404 of 651

@halbanes

Yes, it does appear to me that they haven't built it very well and we know that they have had at least a year to build it.  What is the best way to build it since they don't seem to know the fitness center of choice for their millions of beneficiaries. 

That is why I posted somewhere that I don't think that UHC knew the fitness places people were using -'they paid Tivity Health and Tivity kept these fitness center names under wraps - Tivity Health paid the fitness centers probably also on a flat contract fee perhaps based on the number of beneficiaries under certain plans which included the Silver Sneaker program.

No even a Y in your area ?  Well they still have til 01/01/2019 to find themselves some facilities in local areas.  Optum Fitness Advantage is only offered to those who have a Med Advantage - you are the 1st to reference the Health My Way for AARP/ UHC Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans.  

Perhaps check the the site every few weeks to see if it fill in at all.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 405 of 651
Excellent article in that newspaper article link your published. Explains much of the thinking behind the scenes on these senior fitness programs and how the developers can make money on them.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 406 of 651

Gail - regarding Optum Fitness Advantage.

I live just a few miles outside of Washington, DC.  I just did a zip code search on the Optum website for nearby facilities.  Guess what!  None.  Where in the heck is this program available, if it's not available within a 25 mile radius of Capitol Hill?? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 407 of 651

John, I am NOT defending AARP's decision to allow UHC to drop SS for 2019 as part of our coverage.  My guess is that SS was raising their fee to UHC.  We will never know; that's insider stuff.

I worked in a Fortune 100 HR department for 10 years, from which I retired several years ago.  The execs in that dept were interested in one thing:  cutting insurance costs.  I also know that the CEO personally told my VP-HR to find ways to cut insurance and retirement costs.  Cost cutting is driven from the top down.

Remember, these are likely multi year contracts that AARP signs with UHC.  Probably at least three years contracts, with escalating fees annually.   So this is not a sudden decision on the part of UHC / AARP to drop SS.  It's only announced during Open Enrollment.  The contracts were signed months or years ago, and no amount of protesting will change the current contract.

As buyers, we can only talk with our money. 

I will say several years ago when I had cancer, that between Medicare and UHC I paid less than $100 in out of pocket expenses.  I mean everything was covered:  surgery, several hospitalizations, radiation, chemo, physical therapy, full bracket of genetic testing, dozens of tests and blood draws.  I have no idea how much all of this cost, but I'd guess well into 6 figures.  

I have been completely 100% satisfied with AARP / UHC Plan F coverage so far.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 408 of 651

... www.healthyourway.com  ......

I just looked at this site and it tells me absolutely nothing about which facilities, if any, in my area accept this program.  

I am completely bummed.  I thought I was all set with AARP.  Cannot count all the friends I have insisted convert to AARP / UHC as they retire.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 409 of 651

@John85259

I really do wish you would read your "Medicare and You" handbook.

ALL Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans cover the SAME things-

Plan F by insurer A is exactly the same as Plan F by insurer B and the same for all the other insurers.  Same thing with Plan G - it is all the same regardless of the insurer.  The only thing different between them is the premiums each is charging you.

A Medigap policy ONLY works with traditional Medicare because it is GAP insurance.

If any doctor, or other provider - hospital, clinic, etc. in the WHOLE country takes Medicare assignment and you have a Medigap Plan F - you can see anybody you want as long as they take Medicare assignment - Medicare will pay and your Medigap insurer will pay.

In fact, let's say when you turned 65, Medicare age, you were living in Florida - you signed up for Medicare in Florida - you picked your Medigap insurer and Plan F or any of the others.

Then you moved to Arizona - you do not have to change anything based on the move except your address for premiums and mail from Medicare.  You can still use traditional Medicare and the Plan F from Florida and it will cover you in Arizona AS LONG AS THE DOCTORS YOU SEE IN ARIZONA ACCEPT MEDICARE ASSIGNMENT - you are good to go, without missing a beat.

Traditional Medicare is a national program and your Plan F is your Medicare Supplemental plan - it is your GAP insurance.

You can look up any medical provider on the Medicare.gov website and it will tell you if they accept Medicare assignment or you can confirm with the provider.

See anybody that accepts assignment - They could be clear across the country and you would be fine with coverage.

This is directly opposite to Medicare Advantage plans.  MA plans are a different way of getting your Medicare benefits - They are more locally oriented in their list of providers who accept their specific plan.  They are sold on a state or even local manner - they are not national because they use networks of providers.

i hope I have explained this a bit for you.  Read your Medicare and You booklet.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 410 of 651

Here's some more info for people from Arizona.  I called Blue Cross - Blue Shield and their MediGap coverage includes a fitness plan similar to SilverSneakers that is called "Silver and Fit".  I checked the Silver and Fit website and the health clubs they list for my area are virtually identical to what is offered by SilverSneakers.  Their Plan F prices are pretty much the same or a little less than AARP-United Healthcare.  They have a downloadable PDF file on the BC-BS website that has 2018 prices, but they don't list 2019 prices on their website.  You have to call the phone number on their webpage and talk to a insurance broker to see what they'll be charging in 2019.  The guy I talked to was helpful and gave me the prices I was looking for that cover 2018 and 2019.  Since I'm less than 4 months from my 65th birthday I can change from AARP-United Healthcare to Blue Cross - Blue Shield immediately and not wait until 2019.

Since I want to have my healthcare needs addressed by the nearby Mayo Clinic I asked if their Plan F would cover it completely just like my AARP-United Healthcare Plan F does.  I was told that BC-BS Plan F will cover everything.

They have 3 prescription drug plans that are probably comperable to what AARP-United Healthcare offers but I can't confirm it 100% without digging through their publication of which drugs they cover and that sort of thing.  I'll look into this a bit more and see if there are any substantial differences.

This confirms what was mentioned by someone else earlier in this discussion, that BC-BS offers coverage that is essentially the same (both policy and price) as AARP-United Healthcare with a fitness club plan that is similar or identical to SilverSneakers.

It's doubful that the corporate bureaucrats at AARP-United Healthcare were expecting their decision to replace SilverSneakers with something less beneficial to their customers would result in their customers finding something better elsewhere, but that's what's happened.  You don't have to be a genius to know that taking a benefit away from your customers is not a good way to keep those customers coming back in the future.  What were they thinking?  Whoever signed off on this nonsense should be updating his/her resume and looking for a new job because at a competently run company they'd be fired.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors