It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 431 of 663
@GailL1

Right now our rec center will allow those who are in Silver and Fit to go to the same classes for free that are offered by Silver Sneakers. However, they will not allow the people in Optum Fitness to be part of those classes unless we pay for them. What bothers me is I am told one thing when I went with UHC/AARP and come to find out that it is not that way at all. And I do not like the fact that they would like us to go to our rec or fitness centers and try to get them to sign up. Ummm not getting paid to do this. If the rec centers do not want to sign up for Optum then maybe there is an issue with Optum. So many people I know love the Silver Sneakers and use the classes and the centers that honor the plan. It may be the NORMAL course of business as you say...I say if it is not broke no need to fix it. Silver Sneakers and Silver and Fit are good programs. Why saturate the market with all these new plans. We are seniors...we like the way things are. Go target a younger group and leave us alone. You can certainly see by all the comments posted how upsetting this is. I also believe that a company will suffer when it makes BAD business decisions and are just greedy and not caring about their customer base.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 432 of 663

Competition is offering a better program or the same program for less money.  UHC's program is neither.

Again, AARP owes it to it's members to negotiate a better deal.  

Again, it is obvious that AARP is in bed with UHC and the money they are making from them far outweighs their interest in providing a better service for it's members.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 433 of 663

@MaryL1957

Optum Fitness Advantage is a United Health Care Group health and fitness program for seniors.

Star Tribune 11/07/2017 - United Health Group Enters Senior Fitness Market Race

They are going to be competing with Silver Sneakers (a product of Tivity Health) as well as many others - Silver and Fit, Flip50 to name a few and who are owned or sponsored by other companies.

Many of these health and fitness programs are not only market to seniors in or outside of Medicare plans,they are also modified somewhat and included in many large employer group plans too.

It is Business - Competion is a normal course of business.

The other thing which I have posted over and over here is that in 2019 CMS is allowing Medicare Advantage plans to offer new health programs within their plans -'these are benefits that are NOT offered under traditional Medicare.

For those who like the Medicare Advantage plans, you will be able to not only pick the one that meets your health and provider network needs and medicines if they have an all inclusive Medicare Prescription Plan but you might also check to see what special health benefits each is offering to further meet your needs.

AARP - Medicare Changes in 2019 - 7 Things You Need To Know

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 434 of 663

I am reading the responses in this forum and one of them said that people were not using Silver Sneakers enough so that is why UHC is dropping this benefit.  Well if that is the case then why is UHC going with Optum instead of Silver Sneakers? Obviously they must feel that people do use this type of benefit or else they would not have changed it to Optum.  My agent told me last year that Optum Fitness is run by the same people who started Silver Sneakers and now they started this new program which they expect to be even better then Silver Sneaker.   Well so far it is not better at all.  I have had it for the 2018 year since I was new to UHC/AARP and it covers my rec center but does not cover any of the SS classes that I was taking.  Even though I was told when I went to this coverage for  that it would. And there are other places in our area that take SS but they will not accept Optum.  My neighbor who has Parkinsons has been going to a gym that accepts SS and he received the same letter and they told him they will not take Optum.   Now many others are having the Silver Sneakers taken away and are seeing what I am seeing, that Optum is not at all what they promised it would be.   So if that is the case why not just stay with Silver Sneakers and stop with this Optum Fitness....it is obviously making people very unhappy and it is causing the loss of business.  I for one have my agent coming in the next week and am going to change my coverage to a plan that has Silver Sneakers.  I hope we can all find a good plan that meets our needs.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 435 of 663

I just called the AARP-United Healthcare customer service number on my insurance card and they confirmed that only the people with Medicare Advantage plans will be able to participate in the RenewActive program.  Those who have Medicare Supplement plans will have what appears to be a less comprehensive fitness program called Health Your Way on Jan 1 2019.  www.healthyourway.com is the website for this program.

So, it seems that there are two levels of health and fitness programs available from AARP-United Healthcare, one for Medicare Advantage customers which seems to be very similar to SilverSneakers and another for Medicare Supplement customers that doesn't appear to be nearly as good.

When I talked to the AARP-United Healthcare customer service representative I shared with him my unhappiness about the situation with SilverSneakers and asked him to pass it along to the management folks who might be interested in such things.  He said he would.  It's doubtful that one voice will make a difference, but I tried.

How many voices would they need to hear for them to change things so everyone gets (1) equal health and fitness benefits and (2) benefits which are functioanlly equivalent to what SilverSneakers currently offers?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 436 of 663

Indiana - Plan F

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 437 of 663

North Carolina Plan F

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 438 of 663
Why the discrimination indeed?!
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 439 of 663

I just found out that the new program offering of paying 50% of the monthly gym fee at participating facilities only affects those who are paying a hefty premium. Those with AARP UHC Advantage or Complete include UHC’s new fitness program called Renew Active (replacing Optum and Silver Sneakers) for FREE!  Why the discrimination?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 440 of 663

I sent an email to AARP member relations expressing my disappointment. I received a canned response stating not enough people were using Silver Sneakers. Why is that a problem for them? Wouldn't that save them money? Do they think more people will use the option that costs them extra money every month? I'm sure it all comes down to $, but I fail to understand how too few people using the free Silver Sneakers benefit leads to a decision to offer another program that is not free.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors