From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 431 of 651

We obviously know that Silver Sneakers is provided as an extra benefit. 

You are missing the point.

AARP is supposed to be looking out for MEMBERS.  If UHC would rather replace Silver Sneakers with it's own inferior program, that's their business,  BUT AARP should be actively looking to endorse a plan that does not drop Silver Sneakers, or DEMAND that UHC keep the program.  

AARP gets a whopping financial benefit from UHC and is ignoring the needs of it's members as a result.  

There is a happy middle.  Grandfather in participating members in Silver Sneakers and promote UHC's new program to others.  UHC's program will never measure up to Silver Sneakers and given a choice to remain with them or seek our a plan that includes Silver Sneakers is a no brainer for those who are enjoying Silver Sneakers.

AARP should not put it's members in that position.  Do your job and represent your members AARP.  It's the right thing to do.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 432 of 651

Gail,you sound like you are an employee of uhc or aarp"...........or at least you are defending the decision to drop silver sneakers.   Not sure which

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 433 of 651

Very well said.  I suspect the Healthyourways.com website was initiated by millennials and I doubt they gave any consideration to the needs of the Seniors they supposedly serve. All they care about is increasing their bottom line. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 434 of 651

@John85259

There is never any assurance that ANY EXTRA BENEFIT remains connected to 

ANY Medigap policy.  EXTRA Benefits in a Medigap policy are written with disclaimers.

Many of the (state specific) prospectuses for
AARP Medicare Supplement Plans insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company

Contain(ed) the following language when any of these (and other) EXTRA bendefits are covered -
SILVERSNEAKERS®
AARP ® VISION DISCOUNTS
NURSE HEALTHLINE

This Disclaimer is also included:
These are additional insured member services apart from the AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan benefits, are not insurance programs, are subject to geographical availability, and may be discontinued at any time.

So make sure you read the small print especially for Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans offered by any insurer.

Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) policies are ONLY GAP insurance - nothing more.  If they offer any EXTRA benefits, they are doing it to entice you to pick their plan.  But those EXTRA benefits are not covered in the actual Medigap policy and thus are illusive and can be cancelled at any time.

if you want an assurance (For at least a year) of specific types of benefits being included, then you have to pick a Medicare Advantage plan.  A Medicare Advantage plan are actual Medicare benefits just covered in a different way.   A Medicare Advantage plan takes the place of traditional Medicare - Medigap policies ONLY work with traditional Medicare because it is not full coverage - only gap insurance.  Medicare Advantage plans are full Medicare coverage just in a different way than traditional Medicare.

A beneficiary can change their Medicare Advantage plan EVERY year during open enrollment for any reason -'health reasons, extra benefits offered, SilverSneakers program offered one year and something else the next year.

A beneficiary can change to any Medicare Advantage plan they want that is offered in their area EVERY YEAR during open enrollment for any reason.

So if you or anybody else want access to certain extra benefits, you might want to sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan - that way, on a yearly basis you can chase the benefits that you want from plan to plan but don't forget about evaluating the important medical coverage stuff too.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 435 of 651

I'm in Arizona and have AARP-United Healthcare Plan F.  I turned 65 in September and SilverSneakers was a big factor in choosing AARP-United Healthcare.  Less than a month later I received a letter in the mail (dated Sept 21, 2018) saying that they are offering "More services and a dedicated team to work with you!" and later it states that SilverSneakers will not be offered in 2019.  There's additional babble that presents the possibility of a 50% discount at participating fitness centers.  I fail to the the benefit in a relationship like this.

The SilverSneakers website lists the insurance companies that will participate in SilverSneakers in 2019 and here's what's on their list:

AARP-United Healthcare

Aetna

CareMore Health

Bankers Life

Humana

United Healthcare

I emailed them and mentioned that I had received a letter from AARP-United Healthcare saying they won't be offereing SilverSneakers in 2019.  I then asked them to confirm that AARP-United Healthcare will be offered in 2019 and to give me a complete list of the companies that will participate in SilverSneakers in 2019.  I hope to hear from them soon.

Aetna has a document with their prices on their website.  In my case they are more expensive than AARP-United Healthcare next year.  Humana has a worksheet that you can go through and get prices for their policies.  They are are also more expensive than AARP-United Healthcare in 2019.

I haven't worked through the other companies yet to see what they will charge.

All of this is very disappointing.  I spent quite a bit of time working through the insurance options and was pleased with my final choice of AARP-United Healthcare.  Now I'm starting the search all over again.

It's likely that not enough people will complain and eventually leave AARP-United Healthcare to motivate them to go back to SilverSneakers, but it's worth poking at them and see if they'll see the error in their ways.

Worse is that many people chose AARP-United Healthcare partially as a result in their participation in SilverSneakers.  We trusted AARP-United Healthcare to be consistent in what they offer, and if any changes were made it would be transparent to us (no change in cost or facilities we could use).  This was not the case.  They have removed a key feature of the insurance policy they offer and replaced it with something that is more expensive and has less features.  For example, I could go to any fitness center in the country that particates in SilverSneakers and this might be handy for someone to avoids the hot summers in Arizona by going somewhere else in the country.  Now it's not so easy because the number of facilities availabe to me is likely to be much less than it used to be.

It makes you wonder what is going through the minds of the people at AARP-United Healthcare.  Did they just come up with a half-baked plan that costs more and offers less and think people wouldn't notice?  Do they just not care whether we noticed or not?  Did they not think of the impact this would have on people who thought their trust in AARP-United Healthcare was well placed?

This smells of bureaucratic indifference coupled with the desire to save money.  Maybe it won't be a big deal to AARP-United Healthcare whether a small percentage of their customers take their business elsewhere.  But it's a big deal to a lot of people.  It appears that our trust has been misplaced.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 436 of 651

Connecticut Plan N

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 437 of 651

I am in Wisconsin. AARP Supplemental Insurance - Medigap not Advantage or Complete

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 438 of 651

I’m in Indiana. Plan F. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 439 of 651

Just curious, is this a nation wide reduction of Silver Sneakers with AARP UHC? That would be a LOT of people affected!

Post the state you live in and type of policy when posting. We live in AZ and had Medigap policy.

Now changing to BCBS or Humana.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 440 of 651

True, but then you have used up the COLA and don't get to use it for everything else that goes up -- electricity, cable, taxes, etc.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season