Take control of your brain health as you age. Visit Staying Sharp — it's free for AARP members.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 391 of 576

@Zaq12ws wrote:

In Connecticut Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield has Silver Sneakers and their 2019 premium is less than my UHC 2018 premium.  Try your local BC/BS office.

All about Medicare Supplemental plans (Medigap plans) in Connecticut

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-supplement-by-state/medicare-supplement-insurance-plans-con...

Just make sure you understand the details.

State details are important.

Medicare rule details for switching Medigap policies are also important.

https://www.medicare.gov/index.php/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/switching-medi...

How to switch Medigap policies

If you decide to change insurance companies, call the new insurance company and arrange to apply for your new Medigap policy. If your application is accepted, call your current insurance company, and ask for your coverage to end. The insurance company can tell you how to submit a request to end your coverage.

Medigap free-look period

You have 30 days to decide if you want to keep the new Medigap policy. This is called your "free look period." The 30-day free look period starts when you get your new Medigap policy. You'll need to pay both premiums for one month.

Don't cancel your first Medigap policy until you've decided to keep the second Medigap policy. On the application for the new Medigap policy, you'll have to promise that you'll cancel your first policy.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 392 of 576

@MVALLEY59 wrote:

WOW!  THANK YOU GAIL1!

YOU FOUND OUT WHY!

MIKE

UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market race

The Optum Fitness Advantage plan is seen by analysts as competing with popular "SilverSneakers" program. 

I have posted on this subject and others many times during the last year.  I try to post things which affect the lives of Medicare beneficiaries.

Here is MORE to the story - very important - as always, you cannot just look at any one specific thing and come to a complete conclusion.  Everything about Medicare is complicated in its workings.

NYT 07/20/2018 - Medicare Advantage Is About to Change. Here’s What You Should Know.

AARP had an article on it -

AARP 09/04/2018 - 7 Ways Medicare Will Improve in 2019

To understand exactly what is happening here you have to look at the whole picture and understand the differences in Medicare Advantage and Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plans.  Many senior beneficiaries don't understand the difference -

These new benefits which can now be covered by Medicare Advantage plans, at the discretion of the underwriting private insurer - are benefits that are NOT covered by traditional Medicare and thus are NOT offered under any Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plan.

Remember a Medicare Advantage plan can be changed yearly by the Medicare beneficiary - that is the reason for the yearly annual enrollment.  But these extra benefits can also change at that time.  The ANNUAL open enrollment is a chance for beneficiaries to look at their health needs and the offerings of any Medicare Advantage plan offered in their area and determine if one of them is their best choice for the next year.  Medicare Advantage plans must offer the same benefits which traditional Medicare does but in a different way.  With this new rule, they can offer these extra benefits on an onging OR annual basis. 

Health and Wellness programs for MA beneficiaries are part of these extra benefits and can change from year to year, it is up to the private Medicare insurer to develop their plans EACH YEAR.

Medigap (Medicare Supplemental ) plans are different - they are ONLY Gap coverage connected to traditional Medicare.  They are many times harder to change for the beneficiary - if not impossible in some cases.    Medigap policies only HAVE TO cover the cost differences between the amount Medicare pays and the amount the left for the beneficiary to pay to providers that accept Medicare assignment - deductibles, coinsurance.  If there are any extra benefits used as enticements to get a beneficiary to buy a certain brand of Medigap - they can be changed  or eliminated at any time.

I am sure that these new Medicare Advantage rules are being used as an encouragement for beneficiaries to sign up for them - and in many instances, depending upon the specific insurer extra benefit, they may help a beneficiary out greatly - however, seniors will have to review these plans annually for their own benefit. 

1/3 of seniors now are enrolled in MA plans.  This rule change may add to these numbers substantially and changing back to traditional Medicare (with ot without a Medigap plan) is difficult sometimes, if not impossible (with a Medigap) - depending upon the Medigap rules, including state rules.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 393 of 576

In Connecticut Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield has Silver Sneakers and their 2019 premium is less than my UHC 2018 premium.  Try your local BC/BS office.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 394 of 576

I'm in Arizona.  My monthly premium went up $20 and now with this will cost (depending on the club) a minimum of $25.  That's a big jump!.  Does anyone know of a plan that has Silver Sneakers for 2019?

Scottsdaler

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 395 of 576

But thisis only for their Medicare Advantage subscribers.  People with Medicare Supplemental Insurance/Medigap aren't eligible.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 396 of 576

WOW!  THANK YOU GAIL1!

YOU FOUND OUT WHY!

MIKE

UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market race

The Optum Fitness Advantage plan is seen by analysts as competing with popular "SilverSneakers" program. 
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 397 of 576

@MikeN262953 wrote:
"The Silver Sneakers program is an EXTRA benefit, meaning it is not regulated to be a benefit of any Medigap plan - so it can leave one as easily as it can leave another."

Until I hear otherwise I'll have to assume this was the choice of UHC not SS. Even if SS left UHC, which I doubt, it would have still come down to a bottom line issue.

Of course it was initiated by UHC - they want to build one of their own.

Star Tribune -Nov. 06 2017 - United Health Group Enters Senior Fitness Market Race

plus AARP needed a health and fitness program which was accessible to all their 50 + membership age groups   So they might want to set up one of their on too.  They are working with Trivity on such a plan.

SilverSneakers program is owned by Tivity Health.

There are tons of senior health and wellness programs out there - now there are even more.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 398 of 576

Yes.  The same thing in Connecticut.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield has the same plan as my AARP plan.  The BC/BS 2019 premium is less than what I am paying now for AARP/United Healthcare and it comes with Silver Sneakers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 399 of 576

Well I checked, and , sure enough, Blue Cross Blue Shield in Arizona will still provide for a paid gym membership. As a result, I am giving UHC/AARP the heave-ho, 11/1/18. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 400 of 576

Taken directly from the AARP 2017 annual report:

At year’s end, AARP’s consolidated

statement of financial position (balance

sheet) reflected total assets of nearly $4 .3

billion

It's all about the bottom line.  They list $880,000,000 in royalty income, which represents 54.8% of total reported income.  You have to wonder what part of that royalty income comes from United Health Care?  You and I are paying for that?  Nonprofit?

Kudos
Views