Technology has the power to transform caregiving. Learn about caregiving's new wave.
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 91 of 267

Taken directly from the AARP 2017 annual report:

At year’s end, AARP’s consolidated

statement of financial position (balance

sheet) reflected total assets of nearly $4 .3

billion

It's all about the bottom line.  They list $880,000,000 in royalty income, which represents 54.8% of total reported income.  You have to wonder what part of that royalty income comes from United Health Care?  You and I are paying for that?  Nonprofit?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 267

@goliath

Of course, everyone should check if they are interested in switching Medigap plans.  I often recommend speaking to a knowledgable  SHIP representative, with accent on the knowledgeable, or a local independent Medicare insurance broker who represents many different insurers to find out their options.

However - the Medicare.gov site says NOT to cancel your old Medigap policy until the new one is approved, in hand and is the way you understand the coverage and in this case, the special offering too.  Medicare.gov says to do it this way even if for (1) month you end up paying (2) premiums for a month.

How to switch Medigap policies

If you decide to change insurance companies, call the new insurance company and arrange to apply for your new Medigap policy. If your application is accepted, call your current insurance company, and ask for your coverage to end. The insurance company can tell you how to submit a request to end your coverage.

Medigap free-look period

You have 30 days to decide if you want to keep the new Medigap policy. This is called your "free look period." The 30-day free look period starts when you get your new Medigap policy. You'll need to pay both premiums for one month.

Don't cancel your first Medigap policy until you've decided to keep the second Medigap policy. On the application for the new Medigap policy, you'll have to promise that you'll cancel your first policy.

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap policies

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 267

@tackless1 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@goliath

In your previous post you called your current plan - a "supplement".   I will assume you do mean it is one of the alphabet choices of a Medigap plan.

For those who don't know.   Medicare Supplement Insurance(original name I think) and Medigap are synonymous.  The millennials couldn't handle three consecutive words.  Smiley Happy
Ron
Plan J (grandfathered) Virginia

HA, HA - Good one - perhaps we should all start referring to Medigap plans as MSI - (alphabet letter).  

You will see many of these already in use:

MA - Medicare Advantage

PDP - Prescription Drug Plan (Medicare Part D)

MA-PD - Medicare Advantage plan with an included prescription drug plan

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 267

I am in Ohio and yes I'm refering to the Medigap - in this case Plan N- program. I was told this offer is thru UHC's biggest competitor. (Yes they gave me the name) Most Ohio folks know who that is.That's why I suggest people contact their broker to see if there are any special offers, like I did. This offer is through my broker and only for folks who are already using them. My point being that you don't know if you don't ask. As for the price difference, it's about $23.00/month and the insurance rate increases average about 6-8% per year which is about $7.88/mo, (same as UHC has been) so it will take 3-4 years to catch up to what I would pay UHC now.) Is it perfect? Probably not, but I have several friends on this policy and they are satisfied. Are they trying to take UHC customers? I'm sure they are. But saving $276 next year and getting another year of Silver Sneakers adds up to $550+ saved next year. Does Ohio have a pre-existing condition clause-yes, which is why I figured I couldn't switch, but this company has waived it for this year with this insurance broker. AND it does send a message to UHC. My Humana Rx went up $10.00 mo. to $ $27.50 next year and I'm dumping them as well for a $15.00/mo plan. With Good Rx I can get many of my regular prescriptions cheaper anyway. The insurance companies bet on people not paying attention and not changing when they can save money. It's time "we the people" send them a message that we're tired of their practices. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 267

@GailL1 wrote:

@goliath

In your previous post you called your current plan - a "supplement".   I will assume you do mean it is one of the alphabet choices of a Medigap plan.

For those who don't know.   Medicare Supplement Insurance(original name I think) and Medigap are synonymous.  The millennials couldn't handle three consecutive words.  Smiley Happy
Ron
Plan J (grandfathered) Virginia
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 267

Plan N with UHC. I am in Ohio and just received notice of the Silver Sneakers cancellation a couple weeks ago; along with paperwork to take to a gym for a 50% discount. I travel extensively and will no longer be able to afford the dues at all the  gyms I use even at the 50% discount. 

Of particular interest, in 2017 United HealthCare Group had an operating income of $15.2 billion ( with a "b") up 18% year over year. And they can no longer afford caring for senior welfare with the Silver Sneakers program? Corporate greed may just destroy our republic.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 267
"The Silver Sneakers program is an EXTRA benefit, meaning it is not regulated to be a benefit of any Medigap plan - so it can leave one as easily as it can leave another."

Until I hear otherwise I'll have to assume this was the choice of UHC not SS. Even if SS left UHC, which I doubt, it would have still come down to a bottom line issue.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 267

I would really like to know who the new recommended company turns out to be.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 267

It would be great to hear the outcome

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 267

@Bollfe wrote:

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

I don't see any connection to politics at all in this subject thread.

Kudos
Views