Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 512 of 679

@Bollfe wrote:

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

I don't see any connection to politics at all in this subject thread.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 513 of 679

@goliath

In your previous post you called your current plan - a "supplement".   I will assume you do mean it is one of the alphabet choices of a Medigap plan.

Various state rules also affect how easy or how hard it is to switch Medigap plans - concerning things like underwriting and any determined period when a pre-existing condition might be excluded. 

The way insurers figure how their premium is calculated also makes a difference - age issued, community rated or attained age - in the premium and how fast or slow it might escalate.

Can you share with the group what state you are in and how the premium of your new policy is calculated or the alphabet plan you picked and the new insurer.  The state matters a lot.

ALL Medigap plans (with the same alphabet ) are the same in Medicare coverages - The Feds regulate that coverage.  Plan F is the same with all insurers, same with Plan G - the only thing different is the premium which they set.

The Silver Sneakers program is an EXTRA benefit, meaning it is not regulated to be a benefit of any Medigap plan - so it can leave one as easily as it can leave another.

But glad you are pleased with your new pick.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 514 of 679

Another Leno person.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 515 of 679

I will lose my Silver Sneakers in January, so even though I didn't think I could change insurances, I decided to call my insurance broker. Surprise! I'm eligible for a guaranteed issue (which means no "applying") from another very large provider that will give me Silver Sneakers AND will cost significantly less per month. The coverage, deductables, etc. are the same. Check with your broker, you may be eligible for a better deal as well. Bub- bye UHC!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 516 of 679

I also protest dropping Silver Sneakers. If the person who thinks the new program is better would be willing to give me an additional $375./year to join this "new" program that would be great. Meanwhile, I wonder where AARP support for Seniors is to keep this program for those of us who can use it and can't afford an additional $375/year on top of $145/mo. for the supplement insurance. (Oh- I forgot. AARP gets a "cut" from UHC. Seems like a conflict of interest to me...) One of the reasons I chose UHC was the free Silver Sneakers program. I would love to pick another insurance but with the requirement of "applying" to another insurance and being accepted, I am probably stuck with UHC. Still, that won't stop me from telling clients and friends to choose a different program when they sign up...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 517 of 679

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 518 of 679

I just got their membership renewal application.  I wrote across the front "I will renew when you bring back Silver Sneakers.  Until then, good-bye".  Probably won't do anything but it made me feel better.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 519 of 679

I also am impacted by this.  I have 2 different homes about 100 miles apart and use 2 different SilverSneakers location.  According to the AARP website my nearest location that honors UHC is over 50 miles away.  I will be checking other insurance possibilities and will drop AARP at the next renewal.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 520 of 679

I have found no alternative Medigap insurance that specifically includes SIlver Sneakers for 2019. They may say “includes health classes” or a “fitness program” but give no specifics. Some of the Advantage all in one plans do specify Silver Fit. I assume someone pays the insurance companies to include this - the government or fitness places?  No idea and no one will say. 

The seniors in at our Class insist that their Humana as well as United Healthcare Advantage Programs include Silver Fit or Optum Fitness. I have not seen that it is included in the offerings for 2019 in Wisconsin. Perhaps they are grandfathered. 

If our our local fitness center would INCLUDE the Silver Sneaker classes in their yearly joining fee, it would be affordable WITHOUT any kickbacks to the insurance companies. However, they currently charge $4 resident/$5 non-resident each time you attend a class. So if you attend 5 days a week, you pay $20/$25 a week. Multiply that times 52 weeks and it is quite expensive and obviously unaffordable for the average senior. 

Kudos
Views