Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Regular Contributor

Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

I guess like all who have the "silver sneakers" card will become another worthless trash item.

United Health Care will discontinue your membership starting 1/1/18.

I am glad I went and purchased my own gym since but it is my guess that many others

do not have the money or the room for it like I do.

I had been using mine for treadmill and sauna during the cold times. the rest of the year i was

wlaking locally or golf course walking and swinging.

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

Regular Contributor

But thisis only for their Medicare Advantage subscribers.  People with Medicare Supplemental Insurance/Medigap aren't eligible.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Bollfe wrote:

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

I don't see any connection to politics at all in this subject thread.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Another Leno person.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

While I have preexisting conditions that may limit my move to a different insurer, I am definitely going to explore the feasability of moving my insurance to another carrier.  Exercise is medicine, and the least expensive form of it.  One prescription or one doctor visit caused by lack of exercise would cost the insurer more than the cost of Silver Sneakers.  It is a well known fact that reguar exercise results in a reduction of medical costs over the long term.  When I called in about this, I was told they were discontinuing the program because very few people used it  Really??? If very few people were using it, the cost would be very low as well.  They are looking at a bottom line short term savings, and not the long term picture.  They'll just pass the subsequent increased medical costs along to you and me.

Regular Contributor

@MikeN262953 wrote:

While I have preexisting conditions that may limit my move to a different insurer, I am definitely going to explore the feasability of moving my insurance to another carrier.  Exercise is medicine, and the least expensive form of it.  One prescription or one doctor visit caused by lack of exercise would cost the insurer more than the cost of Silver Sneakers.  It is a well known fact that reguar exercise results in a reduction of medical costs over the long term.  When I called in about this, I was told they were discontinuing the program because very few people used it  Really??? If very few people were using it, the cost would be very low as well.  They are looking at a bottom line short term savings, and not the long term picture.  They'll just pass the subsequent increased medical costs along to you and me.

Of coarse they will.  Welcome to capitalism (and politics).  What make this different is the personal nature of health care, but only to us.  If you want to see what we are dealing with, Google UnitedHealth Group, they own UnitedHealthcare.  Others are much the same.

Contributor

I am also upset with AARP for letting this happen or should I say endorsing this by allowing the AARP name to still be used.  We have a very good network of Silver Sneaker gyms in our community where I have preferred instructors and friends.  I don't want to change to a new gym.

The letter AARP sent is really a joke.  They offer to pay 50% of the costs of both YMCA and chain fitness works located in the shopping center district.  The YMCA has no charge (Zero!) in most cities for a Silver Sneaker membership.  Our community Natatorium and the local college Student Recreation Center offer large walking / running tracks, exercise machines, heated pools all for free with a Silver Sneaker membership.

Since the letter came out I have been shopping other supplemental type F plans.  I am meeting with an insurance broker tomorrow to discuss a switch.  Of course most type F plans want medical questions answered and rerating with an insurance underwriter.  My broker seems to have one insurer that will hold the premium and also offers Silver Sneaker Membership.  I will know more tomorrow.

It would appear either AARP or UHC or both want to compete in the gym business against Silver Sneakers by offering their own gym plan.  That must be why they are forbiding members to participate in Silver Sneakers.

Regular Contributor

It would be great to hear the outcome

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It would be great to know what the outcome is on the alternative insurance company.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have found no alternative Medigap insurance that specifically includes SIlver Sneakers for 2019. They may say โ€œincludes health classesโ€ or a โ€œfitness programโ€ but give no specifics. Some of the Advantage all in one plans do specify Silver Fit. I assume someone pays the insurance companies to include this - the government or fitness places?  No idea and no one will say. 

The seniors in at our Class insist that their Humana as well as United Healthcare Advantage Programs include Silver Fit or Optum Fitness. I have not seen that it is included in the offerings for 2019 in Wisconsin. Perhaps they are grandfathered. 

If our our local fitness center would INCLUDE the Silver Sneaker classes in their yearly joining fee, it would be affordable WITHOUT any kickbacks to the insurance companies. However, they currently charge $4 resident/$5 non-resident each time you attend a class. So if you attend 5 days a week, you pay $20/$25 a week. Multiply that times 52 weeks and it is quite expensive and obviously unaffordable for the average senior. 

Periodic Contributor

Time to drop aarp membership.  I see no value in the services being offered to seniors by this so called retired people organization.  Would be nice to know how many people are using silver sneakers 

Regular Contributor

I just got their membership renewal application.  I wrote across the front "I will renew when you bring back Silver Sneakers.  Until then, good-bye".  Probably won't do anything but it made me feel better.

Contributor

I also am impacted by this.  I have 2 different homes about 100 miles apart and use 2 different SilverSneakers location.  According to the AARP website my nearest location that honors UHC is over 50 miles away.  I will be checking other insurance possibilities and will drop AARP at the next renewal.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

DUMB MOVE!!

AARP & United healthcare have forgotten SENIORS HAVE POWER!!!!!!

lets see what they do when  the majority 

CANCEL their enrollment in AARP and go elsewhere for insurance

WE WONโ€™T TAKE THIS SITTING DOWN!!!

SENIORS ON THE MOVE!!

Regular Contributor

@j399854s wrote:

DUMB MOVE!!

AARP & United healthcare have forgotten SENIORS HAVE POWER!!!!!!

lets see what they do when  the majority 

CANCEL their enrollment in AARP and go elsewhere for insurance

WE WONโ€™T TAKE THIS SITTING DOWN!!!

SENIORS ON THE MOVE!!

Unfortunately changing plans is like walking thru a field of land mines.  According to several government regulatory and/or help agencies, we loose the free pass we got when we enrolled at age 65.  Now they can charge us individually based on preexisting conditions, our additional age, and who knows what else.  In my case I am grandfathered in a Supplemental Plan that has been discontinued.  Now the best Supplemental Plan has less benefits while the Advantage plans are a joke.  So I could switch to the plan you have and pay a higher premium while reducing my benefits.  That doesn't work very well for me!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Actually I see no reason to even belong to AARP any longer.  Their articles are either information everyone already knows or can get elsewhere.  The ever popular if you lost your job, go do volunteer work to get another job.  Right?  And while you are volunteering, where is your paycheck coming from.  Some of their articles are like pie in the sky fantasies.   

They are supposed to offer discounts places like the Bonefish Grill.  We at ethere and asked for the AARP discount and they said "that's only for participating locations.  We don't participate".  A lot of their offers say that in fine print.

Their vacation discounts are no longer anything great compared to what you can get else where.  I just use my auto club discount

I will discontinue my membership and not have their useless literature on my coffee table.

Maybe then they will stop sending me things to solicit money from ME for THEM, through the AARP Foundation.

Contributor

I'm also disapointed.I have been using it for abot 6 years now. Why don't the offer what Silver and Fit offers. $50.00 a year. That I can afford.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Very, very disapointed in AARP United Healthcare for dropping Silversneakers. I will be looking elsewhere for supplemental health coverage. You would think an insurance company would want there insureds to stay healthy by working out. Dumb move!

Regular Contributor

I agree.  Now all of us who used Silver Sneakers are going to leave United Healthcare and they will be left with only those subscribers who don't care about being healthy. Wonder how that will affect their profits?

Contributor

I agree with what others have said. This was one of the reasons I went with this plan. Time to do some research I guess. Very, very disappointing.

Regular Contributor

Very disappointed to hear about this.  Silver Sneakers was one of the reasons I chose AARP/United Healthcare.  I'll do some comparison shopping and see what else is available that has Silver Sneakers.

same here looking for humana
0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you have any information on any plans that could have Silver Sneakers

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I see Aetna in Connecticut, but they only offer Medicare Advantage plans.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Zaq12ws wrote:

I see Aetna in Connecticut, but they only offer Medicare Advantage plans.

That's what this is all about.  Have you not noticed none of the insurance companies hardly ever advertise Medigap policies anymore.  Makes me think they may have hidden some reduced benefits in the Advantage plans to make more profit.

Honored Social Butterfly

globalsun7 posted..

Do you have any information on any plans that could have Silver Sneakers

=====================================================

BC BS Medicare Advantage
Kid
0 Kudos
Contributor

I think that AARP should re-think the action to change from Silver Sneakers to Renew Active in United Health Care. This change will cost me about $210 per year to go to my local County Rec Center. I have Parkinsons, so this gives me additional exercise along with the Rock Steady Boxing program.

0 Kudos

Humana
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I just received a letter in the mail telling me that AARP UnitedHealthcare is dropping Silver Sneakers on Jan 1 2019 for those of us in AZ with Medigap insurance. I am still in my 6 mo window for applying for a plan and after contacting my agent,

will now go with BCBS who offer Silver and Fit at my local YMCA. The only reason I went with AARP in the first place was because I wanted the Silver Sneakers program. They offered us the chance to join their Optum fitness program and pay half the cost for membership for me and my husband at the YMCA. NO THANK YOU! Will drop my AARP membership as well. Good luck everyone!

Periodic Contributor

I received a notice today from Terri, an AARP rep, which basically said she was sorry but the decision was made by both AARP and UHC to dump Silver Sneakers.  The tone of the notice was if you don't like the decision, you're free to get your insurance elsewhere and she linked a website which shows other carriers that will still provide Silver Sneakers.  https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

I contacted my insurance agent about switching to a different carrier ... he is working on it but said he is totally slammed by clients who are similarly outraged and want to dump AARP/UHC.

The decision has left a real black eye on AARP.  Local news is now picking up on the story.  He's a story that was on our local NBC station on Friday.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2018/10/05/seniors-in-uproar-over-aarps-decision/

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP