Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 502 of 666

I will lose my Silver Sneakers in January, so even though I didn't think I could change insurances, I decided to call my insurance broker. Surprise! I'm eligible for a guaranteed issue (which means no "applying") from another very large provider that will give me Silver Sneakers AND will cost significantly less per month. The coverage, deductables, etc. are the same. Check with your broker, you may be eligible for a better deal as well. Bub- bye UHC!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 503 of 666

I also protest dropping Silver Sneakers. If the person who thinks the new program is better would be willing to give me an additional $375./year to join this "new" program that would be great. Meanwhile, I wonder where AARP support for Seniors is to keep this program for those of us who can use it and can't afford an additional $375/year on top of $145/mo. for the supplement insurance. (Oh- I forgot. AARP gets a "cut" from UHC. Seems like a conflict of interest to me...) One of the reasons I chose UHC was the free Silver Sneakers program. I would love to pick another insurance but with the requirement of "applying" to another insurance and being accepted, I am probably stuck with UHC. Still, that won't stop me from telling clients and friends to choose a different program when they sign up...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 504 of 666

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 505 of 666

I just got their membership renewal application.  I wrote across the front "I will renew when you bring back Silver Sneakers.  Until then, good-bye".  Probably won't do anything but it made me feel better.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 506 of 666

I also am impacted by this.  I have 2 different homes about 100 miles apart and use 2 different SilverSneakers location.  According to the AARP website my nearest location that honors UHC is over 50 miles away.  I will be checking other insurance possibilities and will drop AARP at the next renewal.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 507 of 666

I have found no alternative Medigap insurance that specifically includes SIlver Sneakers for 2019. They may say “includes health classes” or a “fitness program” but give no specifics. Some of the Advantage all in one plans do specify Silver Fit. I assume someone pays the insurance companies to include this - the government or fitness places?  No idea and no one will say. 

The seniors in at our Class insist that their Humana as well as United Healthcare Advantage Programs include Silver Fit or Optum Fitness. I have not seen that it is included in the offerings for 2019 in Wisconsin. Perhaps they are grandfathered. 

If our our local fitness center would INCLUDE the Silver Sneaker classes in their yearly joining fee, it would be affordable WITHOUT any kickbacks to the insurance companies. However, they currently charge $4 resident/$5 non-resident each time you attend a class. So if you attend 5 days a week, you pay $20/$25 a week. Multiply that times 52 weeks and it is quite expensive and obviously unaffordable for the average senior. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 508 of 666

It would be great to know what the outcome is on the alternative insurance company.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 509 of 666

Time to drop aarp membership.  I see no value in the services being offered to seniors by this so called retired people organization.  Would be nice to know how many people are using silver sneakers 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 510 of 666

I am also upset with AARP for letting this happen or should I say endorsing this by allowing the AARP name to still be used.  We have a very good network of Silver Sneaker gyms in our community where I have preferred instructors and friends.  I don't want to change to a new gym.

The letter AARP sent is really a joke.  They offer to pay 50% of the costs of both YMCA and chain fitness works located in the shopping center district.  The YMCA has no charge (Zero!) in most cities for a Silver Sneaker membership.  Our community Natatorium and the local college Student Recreation Center offer large walking / running tracks, exercise machines, heated pools all for free with a Silver Sneaker membership.

Since the letter came out I have been shopping other supplemental type F plans.  I am meeting with an insurance broker tomorrow to discuss a switch.  Of course most type F plans want medical questions answered and rerating with an insurance underwriter.  My broker seems to have one insurer that will hold the premium and also offers Silver Sneaker Membership.  I will know more tomorrow.

It would appear either AARP or UHC or both want to compete in the gym business against Silver Sneakers by offering their own gym plan.  That must be why they are forbiding members to participate in Silver Sneakers.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season