Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 481 of 651
"The Silver Sneakers program is an EXTRA benefit, meaning it is not regulated to be a benefit of any Medigap plan - so it can leave one as easily as it can leave another."

Until I hear otherwise I'll have to assume this was the choice of UHC not SS. Even if SS left UHC, which I doubt, it would have still come down to a bottom line issue.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 482 of 651

I would really like to know who the new recommended company turns out to be.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 483 of 651

It would be great to hear the outcome

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 484 of 651

@Bollfe wrote:

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

I don't see any connection to politics at all in this subject thread.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 485 of 651

@goliath

In your previous post you called your current plan - a "supplement".   I will assume you do mean it is one of the alphabet choices of a Medigap plan.

Various state rules also affect how easy or how hard it is to switch Medigap plans - concerning things like underwriting and any determined period when a pre-existing condition might be excluded. 

The way insurers figure how their premium is calculated also makes a difference - age issued, community rated or attained age - in the premium and how fast or slow it might escalate.

Can you share with the group what state you are in and how the premium of your new policy is calculated or the alphabet plan you picked and the new insurer.  The state matters a lot.

ALL Medigap plans (with the same alphabet ) are the same in Medicare coverages - The Feds regulate that coverage.  Plan F is the same with all insurers, same with Plan G - the only thing different is the premium which they set.

The Silver Sneakers program is an EXTRA benefit, meaning it is not regulated to be a benefit of any Medigap plan - so it can leave one as easily as it can leave another.

But glad you are pleased with your new pick.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 486 of 651

Another Leno person.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 487 of 651

I will lose my Silver Sneakers in January, so even though I didn't think I could change insurances, I decided to call my insurance broker. Surprise! I'm eligible for a guaranteed issue (which means no "applying") from another very large provider that will give me Silver Sneakers AND will cost significantly less per month. The coverage, deductables, etc. are the same. Check with your broker, you may be eligible for a better deal as well. Bub- bye UHC!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 488 of 651

I also protest dropping Silver Sneakers. If the person who thinks the new program is better would be willing to give me an additional $375./year to join this "new" program that would be great. Meanwhile, I wonder where AARP support for Seniors is to keep this program for those of us who can use it and can't afford an additional $375/year on top of $145/mo. for the supplement insurance. (Oh- I forgot. AARP gets a "cut" from UHC. Seems like a conflict of interest to me...) One of the reasons I chose UHC was the free Silver Sneakers program. I would love to pick another insurance but with the requirement of "applying" to another insurance and being accepted, I am probably stuck with UHC. Still, that won't stop me from telling clients and friends to choose a different program when they sign up...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 489 of 651

Thank you Republican Congress for giving into big Pharma and the insurance companies.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 490 of 651

I just got their membership renewal application.  I wrote across the front "I will renew when you bring back Silver Sneakers.  Until then, good-bye".  Probably won't do anything but it made me feel better.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors