From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 521 of 651

I live in CA and have Blue Shield of CA. Still have Siver Sneakers!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 522 of 651

I received a notice today from Terri, an AARP rep, which basically said she was sorry but the decision was made by both AARP and UHC to dump Silver Sneakers.  The tone of the notice was if you don't like the decision, you're free to get your insurance elsewhere and she linked a website which shows other carriers that will still provide Silver Sneakers.  https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

I contacted my insurance agent about switching to a different carrier ... he is working on it but said he is totally slammed by clients who are similarly outraged and want to dump AARP/UHC.

The decision has left a real black eye on AARP.  Local news is now picking up on the story.  He's a story that was on our local NBC station on Friday.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2018/10/05/seniors-in-uproar-over-aarps-decision/

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 523 of 651
Dear AARP,

Frankly, I am astonished by your response. It was my understanding that AARP were advocates for Seniors, not UHC. This email says absolutely nothing about the concerns many of us have over this.

By discontinuing the opportunity for millions of Americans to have access to a free fitness program in a local gym, you will in effect be cutting off the opportunity to stave off hundreds of diseases. It was AARP who previously argued how important physical exercise is for Seniors; that it controls Diabetes, Dementia, Parkinsons, Cardiovascular disease, Arthritis, etc. etc. Without free access to gyms, millions of Americans will be heading for disaster. Shame on you, AARP.

It is hard to get many Americans to go to exercise. And by charging them the 50 percent to go to a fitness facility, UHC will be forcing them to pay and sum of money many of them can't afford for something they will not be motivated to do. It was the free aspect that motivated many of them. What, I can go to a gym for free? Let's go! Many a senior has thought this and improved their life through exercise. Silver Sneakers is such a wonderful program. How could you just let it go?

And, come on now, do you really believe that watching videos and sitting immobile in front of a computer or TV to get information is anything but worthless to the health of seniors, as compared with actually getting out there to a gym? They may look at exercise videos, but most of them will not be motivated to get up and do them all alone in their own home. There's absolutely no motivation. Added to this, people are sick of watching a talking head telling them what to do. It can even undermine their desire to improve their health. There is no better motivation than going to a room dedicated to exercise that has other people like you exercising.

I do not understand how you are allowing this to happen to a health plan that you partner with? It is difficult to see anything other answer than greed as a motivation for this new policy. If it is greed, I have a way to save you and the whole healthcare industry alot of money. Cut off the funds for the useless informational and exercise videos that involve just sitting inactive at a computer and send Seniors back to the free gyms!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 524 of 651

Dear AARP, Frankly, I am astonished by your response. It was my understanding that AARP were advocates for Seniors, not UHC. This email says absolutely nothing about the concerns many of us have over this. By discontinuing the opportunity for millions of Americans to have access to a free fitness program in a local gym, you will in effect be cutting off the opportunity to stave off hundreds of diseases. It was AARP who previously argued how important physical exercise is for Seniors; that it controls Diabetes, Dementia, Parkinsons, Cardiovascular disease, Arthritis, etc. etc. Without free access to gyms, millions of Americans will be heading for disaster. Shame on you, AARP. It is hard to get many Americans to go to exercise. And by charging them the 50 percent to go to a fitness facility, UHC will be forcing them to pay and sum of money many of them can't afford for something they will not be motivated to do. It was the free aspect that motivated many of them. What, I can go to a gym for free? Let's go! Many a senior has thought this and improved their life through exercise. Silver Sneakers is such a wonderful program. How could you just let it go? And, come on now, do you really believe that watching videos and sitting immobile in front of a computer or TV to get information is anything but worthless to the health of seniors, as compared with actually getting out there to a gym? They may look at exercise videos, but most of them will not be motivated to get up and do them all alone in their own home. There's absolutely no motivation. Added to this, people are sick of watching a talking head telling them what to do. It can even undermine their desire to improve their health. There is no better motivation than going to a room dedicated to exercise that has other people like you exercising. I do not understand how you are allowing this to happen to a health plan that you partner with? It is difficult to see anything other answer than greed as a motivation for this new policy. If it is greed, I have a way to save you and the whole healthcare industry alot of money. Cut off the funds for the useless informational and exercise videos that involve just sitting inactive at a computer and send Seniors back to the free gyms!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 525 of 651

Totally agree with you. Have not heard a peep from AARP.  Do they really care about overall Senior health or only the money?  We shall see. 

We will be looking into alternative insurance as well and not renew our AARP. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 526 of 651

I agree with what everyone is saying.

My point is that AARP is receiving a portion of our premium from United Healthcare as compensation as Endorserer.  What is AARP using this money for?  I am sure that it is a signicant amount and should be used for those who are buying the supplement insurance and not AARP general budget.

What do you think?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 527 of 651

I just received a letter saying aarp united healthcare is dropping silversneaker

I am paying a high premium.  I will immediately change to another insurance that has this program

WHAT IS AARP DOING ABOUT THIS!! 

Shame on them for not fighting for this

benefit for seniors.  If this doesn’t change I will no longer enroll in AARP

Jane 

Orange CT

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 528 of 651

I think it is time to cancel my AARP Membership and take my Silver Sneakers to another health provider.    Looks like AARP is no different that any of our branches of government.  Very, very, sad.  Those in charge dine on the apathy of the voter.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 529 of 651

Many of the (state specific) prospectuses for 

AARP Medicare Supplement Plans insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company

Contain the following language when any of these (and other) EXTRA bendefits are covered -

SILVERSNEAKERS®
AARP ® VISION DISCOUNTS
NURSE HEALTHLINE

Disclaimer: 
These are additional insured member services apart from the AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan benefits, are not insurance programs, are subject to geographical availability, and may be discontinued at any time.

So make sure you read the small print especially for Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans offered by any insurer.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 530 of 651

I agree!  And plan to do the same.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera