Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 521 of 635

it will be when you figure out UHC prices will go up too, next year. my guess about the 2nd month.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 522 of 635
I for one am still trying to understand how the biggest 1%'er ever got elected by the people. OH I forgot the republicans own the voting machines companies and software. lets go to paper ballots!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 523 of 635

because of the ACA affordable care act, I believe all insurance companies have to provide the same benefits at the same costs. there are a few that add extras like the "silver sneakers" and or eye and dental. if usung a advantage plan some people near me have been getting prescriptions at the cost of the deducatble. funny thing is the drug costs less if cash. so check.

those that may want the silver sneakers you might see if the next insurer has it available next year. there is a open window coming up so you have the option to change insurers. it is my guess that NHC thinks most will be too lazy to change. but if you are on a short budget you might want to do that.

best to all!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 524 of 635

@MaVolta wrote:

All plans, whether medigap or advantage, are subject to change. Everyone should check their plan updates every year, and make adjustments if needed. You can't just set it and forget it. Be sure to check for changes in your drug coverage and copays, whether it's traditional Part D or advantage Part D.

While Silver Sneakers, and other perks are nice to have, a change to copays or drug coverage could be the real deal breaker. 

Medigap plans DO NOT change every year - actually never unless a change is made to traditional Medicare.  Medigap plans are only supplemental plans - they supplement traditional Medicare - they are GAP insurance - Medicare makes the rules of coverage.

I have often wondered why some Medigap plans have offered this extra benefit of Silver Sneakers or any other extra type benefit because these are just that - extra - Medicare does not consider this to be medically necessary and thus it is not part of Medicare.  Perhaps a special guaranteed issue condition may apply - that will have to be determined by (any) new Medigap insurer which a beneficiary may pick as a new insurer of this gap insurance.

I do hope people who are considering changing their Medigap plan because of this Silver Sneakers elimination will know what they are doing or work with an independent Medicare insurance agent or a knowledgeable SHIP agent so that they are protected - if they can be protected.

Medigap plans DO NOT have an annual renewal.  Medigap plans are guaranteed renewable as long as you pay your premiums.

BTW - wonder if any of the affected beneficiaries have filed a Complaint with Medicare ?    It may not be of help to you but could knock UHC down a few star ratings. 

Another thing which could be considered is that any of these Medigap insurers could do the same thing because this Silver Sneaker program is an extra benefit NOT one dictated by Medicare.  The Tivity Health program of Silver Sneakers now has lots of competition starting up now.

Medicare Supplement plans (also known as Medigap plans) are offered by private insurance companies and can help you pay for certain out-of-pocket costs not covered under Original Medicare. These out-of-pocket costs can include Medicare deductibles, coinsurance, and hospital or skilled nursing facility costs after you’ve used up your Medicare coverage. Medicare Supplement plans are only available to people who already have Medicare Part A, which helps pay for hospital services, and Part B, which helps pay for medical services. Medicare Supplement coverage only works alongside Original Medicare and can’t be used to pay for Medicare Advantage plan costs.

https://medicare.com/medicare-supplement/do-medicare-supplement-plans-differ-for-each-state/

Under federal law, you have a guaranteed issue right to buy a Medicare Supplement insurance plan (also known as MedSupp or Medigap) during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period, which begins the first month you have Medicare Part B and are age 65 or older. This means that during this six-month enrollment period, insurers cannot turn you down or charge you more because of a pre-existing health condition.

After the Medigap Open Enrollment Period, insurers can refuse to sell you a Medigap policy, delay coverage, or charge you a higher premium because of an existing health condition. The insurance company may also ask you to submit to a medical underwriting process and deny you coverage or charge you a higher rate based on its findings*.

There are some exceptions to the rule, however. In some situations, you have the guaranteed-issue right to buy a Medicare Supplement policy outside of your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period:

• You have a Medicare Advantage plan, and the insurance company has left your service area.
  • Your Medicare Advantage plan has been discontinued or is leaving Medicare.
  • You have moved out of your Medicare Advantage plan’s service area.
  • You currently have Original Medicare, and your employer coverage is ending.
  • You have Original Medicare coverage and a Medicare SELECT plan, and you move out of the Medicare SELECT plan’s service area.
  • You lose your Medicare Supplement insurance plan because the insurance company went bankrupt.
  • You end your Medigap coverage because the insurance company misled you or was not compliant with the law.

You may qualify for guaranteed issue into a Medicare Supplement insurance plan, regardless of your medical history, if you meet certain criteria such as applying during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. Additional guaranteed issues rights may be available and are dependent on your state of residence.

( like the "birthday rule" in California)

*Pre-existing conditions are generally health conditions that existed before the start of a policy. They may limit coverage, be excluded from coverage, or even prevent you from being approved for a policy; however, the exact definition and relevant limitations or exclusions of coverage will vary with each plan, so check a specific plan’s official plan documents to understand how that plan handles pre-existing conditions.

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-supplement-articles/changing-medicare-supplement-insurance-...

You are right in that other things need to be considered when making a change but Medigap plans DO NOT have networks of providers like Medicare Advantage plans - Medigap plans cover providers on the Medicare list of providers that accept assignment - IF Medicare pays their part, your Medigap plan pays their part.  Medigap plans do not have any drug coverage attached to them - you have to have a freestanding PDP if you use a Medigap plan.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 525 of 635

========================================================

Check into another insurance company...most states have more than one. In my small population state we have several companies to chose from.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 526 of 635

Well the UHC insured folks that I work out with at several gyms, are really upset. Those of us who seriously try to take care of our good health are being penalized and from UHC’s perspective, the healthy ones may be leaving UHC and the “not so healthy ones” will be their remaining insured. The UHC bean counters may be running the wrong numbers. And considering AARP’s constant promotion of good senior health, I am surprised they continue to endorse UHC. It’s all about money, I suppose.

That said I suggest to all those that are affected and are seriously upset by UHC's decision to write  their congressmen. Perhaps with a little political pressure, and some from AARP, UHC may reconsider their rather poor decision.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 527 of 635

@so8714 wrote:

The huge problem as I see it is that under the advantage plans you are allowing decisions to be made for you as to hospitals and doctors that are available for you to use. Today it may look look like you are getting alot for a little however down the road they can start trimming the benefits back such as they did with the Silver Sneaker program. Caveat emptor....buyer beware.

All plans, whether medigap or advantage, are subject to change. Everyone should check their plan updates every year, and make adjustments if needed. You can't just set it and forget it. Be sure to check for changes in your drug coverage and copays, whether it's traditional Part D or advantage Part D.

While Silver Sneakers, and other perks are nice to have, a change to copays or drug coverage could be the real deal breaker. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 528 of 635

Perhaps you can grandfather in people who are actually using Silver Sneakers since you say you are concerned that not many people use it. Those who do use it find it to be a great advantage to their health and no doubt, cuts down on medical expenses, which should greatly help United Health Care.

This is a shortsighted change and I believe will result in a loss of members and a change in providers.

Your assertion that anything you are doing to replace Silver Sneakers is an advantage or even a good deal is smoke and mirrors.

AARP is supposed to be looking out for seniors. There is a plan out there that would gladly accept the AARP endorsement that has Silver Sneakers. AARP is letting it's members down by staying in bed with UHC. AARP should be representing it's members, not bowing to the demands of an endorsed provider

AARP, you should be ashamed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 529 of 635

I am now looking in to other supplemental plans since AARP has decided to drop silver sneakers.  Your letter letting everyone know about this was very deceptive.  You are not doing us a favor by giving us a 50% reduction at places that we often could join for free.  Our local YMCA are free with silver sneakers as is our local JCC.  Other plans offer silver sneakers and are the same price as AARP.  I thought you were working for, not against, seniors.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 530 of 635

Very disappointed in this article.  Makes me concerned about maintaining my expensive F plan with United Healthcare.  Certainly there are other less expensive options.  I make extensive use of my Silver Sneakers option and don't want another "50% gym costs" added to my already expensive insurance costs.

Kudos
Views