Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 551 of 651

It doesn't appear that all "F" plans are losing this benefit -- shame on United Health Care!  They market with attractive benefits and rates, and then reduce the benefits and consistently raise rates.  AARP needs to re-think their branding and providing Good Housekeeping seal to UHC.  I plan to contact AARP to register a complaint.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 552 of 651

The huge problem as I see it is that under the advantage plans you are allowing decisions to be made for you as to hospitals and doctors that are available for you to use. Today it may look look like you are getting alot for a little however down the road they can start trimming the benefits back such as they did with the Silver Sneaker program. Caveat emptor....buyer beware.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 553 of 651

As if healthcare costs for seniors aren't high enough, UHC decides to stick it to us, again. 

Got to re-think who my insurer will be next year. AARP - you have to stick up for us! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 554 of 651

I suspect that United Health Care's traditional Medigap insurance is being down graded so that people will be motivated to switch to United Health Care's Medicare Advantage insurance which often publicizes the Untied Health Care Advantage Optum  services. Optum pays for a lot of gym memberships, classes. United Health Care is probably doing this because the Federal Medicare payments to Advantage plans gives the insurance companies more profit than the Federal payments to traditional Medicare insurance plans. As they say, always look for the money trail.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 555 of 651

Since posting my opinion I have done a little research on line and thus far I have found no other companies that just offer supplement insurance.  All the companies I find in this State offer only Medicare Advantage plans. 

My only other thought is you would think a health insurers would want its subscribers to participate in a healthy lifestyle.  The reverse is true, you would think they would want to keep those of us that do.  Don't they make more money if people are healthy and make less claims?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 556 of 651
Californians get no help with the bill. Why were we excluded?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 557 of 651

I don't think AARP will do anything.  United Health Care has cut this program in other states in the past and AARP didn't care.  Silver Sneakers hasn't been offered in all 50 states in quite some time via UHC.  They are just finishing off what was already started.

I see my primary care doc next week and intend to ask which insurance company in  CA that he thinks is best.  Between him and his billing lady, I should walk out with some good suggestions.  I already have an enrollment appt to make the change.

Good luck to you.  I envy your monthly costs - CA is so darn expensive!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 558 of 651
Eaamon posted..

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

==================================================

We have Montana BC BS Medicare Advantage and they will continue to have "silver sneakers" in 2019.

We have Gym membership and I do not know of any classes.

The cost of our plan is going up 24%...from $61 a month to $85 a month. The good news is its covering Dental which they did not last year... Dental Services (Non Medicare covered Preventive) "In and Out of Network...You pay $0 copay for up to 2 oral exams per year. This includes up to cleanings a year and 1 X-ray per year".
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 559 of 651

I am joining the chorus for those calling for AARP to stop this plan by United Healthcare to dump Silver Sneakers.  Having to pay 50% to stay in my gym will cost an additional $300 per year on top of the increase United Healthcare has already announced for premiums.  I have contacted Silver Sneakers which gave me a list of other supplemental insurance companies that are continuing to offer Silver Sneakers (here in California that includes Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of CAlifornia, Care First, Humana, and Scan).  Come on AARP, you're suppose to be fighting for us.  Don't let United Healthcare get away with this ... or I, and I am sure a lot of others, will dump you just like you plan to do with Silver Sneakers.  There are too many other insurers who obviously care more about preventative health than United Healthcare.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 560 of 651

Something for the insurance companies to think about:  What makes them different from what would be Medicare for All?  Perks.  Medicare runs a 2% overhead expense.  Private insurance runs 12% - 18% overhead or about $500 billion in overhead.  Somewhere in that $500 billion there surely must be room for a wellness program - namely Silver Sneakers.

And instead of you - the insurance company and AARP - deciding which 'exciting' program to offer us - why don't you ask us what we'd prefer?  Multiple choice - apples and apples.

Or maybe, when the talk about Medicare for all rolls around again (and it will), we the people, might put pencil and paper to the difference between a tax to pay for it and the cost of our ever rising premiuims for ever diminishing benefits and decide we're tired of the extra $500 billion out of our pockets  I suspect taxes would be less that paying your high salaries! 

And shame on you for including a flyer for us, your customers, to take to our gym and promote your new side business.  We don't work for you. You're supposed to work for us!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season