Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 561 of 651

Adding my voice to those who would like AARP to address this with UnitedHealthCare (renegoiate the deal....if our president can do it, why not AARP), as losing the SS benefit would increase our household health care cost (as going to the "Y" is a part of healthcare afterall).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 562 of 651

I found the letter particulary annoying as this was framed as an opportunity.  I now take free class at the Senior Center as my instructor is Silver Sneakers certified.  With the new program I would have to join a gym which is quite expensive, also the choices in my area are limited. I have been attending this class for a long time and love it.  Once Silver Sneakers doesn't pick up the cost it will be $50 for every 8 weeks.

One of the gyms available is Anytime Fitness.  I once belonged to Anytime.  They will not tell you where equipment is or how to use the equipment unless you hire a $30/hr (back then) personal trainer.  I was constantly badgered to hire one as well as to purchase their weight loss drinks.  

That leaves me with a choice of one gym, since the insurance is only picking up half that should be $250.  

No thanks to the "opportunity".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 563 of 651

If AARP is our representative in this matter, they should either demand that United Health Care include the Silver Sneakers Program for 2019 or endorse a plan that does.

I am really afraid that the line between UHC and AARP is so blurred and so much money flows between the two that AARP is no longer our representative. 

That is pretty sad.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 564 of 651

I am living in Illinois and have been going to the Gottlieb Center for Fitness in Melrose Park.  The Silver Sneakers classes are so full that sometimes not everyone can get to a chair.  There are also a lot of seniors who are not in the class but who use the gym for the aqua classes and the different machines.

Everyone in the class has a smile on his or her face when leaving class..  In addition to the exercise we enjoy the camaradie with each other. 

If AARP and United Healthcare drop Silver Sneakers, Gottlieb Center for Fitness will be a ghost town in the mornings.

A lot of seniors can't afford a gym membership even at a discount.  Also, the classes teach fall prevention and balance.  If Silver Sneakers is dropped, a lot of people may end up in the hospital.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 565 of 651

Like most everyone else here, I also received the letter from UHC regarding discontinuing "Silver Sneakers" . Shortly prior to that mailing, I got a letter from them, telling me that my premiums will be going up in January 2019. Double whammy and I am not happy. I'm not interested in 50 percent off of my YMCA membership, when I previously got it for free. I hope that AARP reads some of these comments and reconsiders endorsing them. Actually, I hope that UHC reads these comments. Perhaps they will wake up and change their minds, before we all leave them. Personally, I am not counting on that, but I will be switching to one of the other insurance companies, that continue to offer the "Silver Sneakers" program. It's a deal breaker for us older people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 566 of 651

I feel it's time for AARP to stop endorsing UHC. This not the first time UHC reduced benefits and eliminated doctors. I also will be looking for a plan to replace UHC and probably no longer support AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 567 of 651
I share your opinions about the dropping of Silver Sneakers from our United Healthcare supplemental plan. I was very disappointed to receive the letter informing us of this new policy beginning in January 2019. We will definitely be checking into alternate supplemental insurance options offered through other companies.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 568 of 651

Thanks for the info.  Good to know.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 569 of 651

I received the same letter.  Very disappointed.  Raising premiums and dropping services but they assure us they are continuing to work for us to lower healthcare costs.  Yeah, right!  

We will I’ll also look into alternative plans. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 570 of 651
Not entirely true. Seniors will have to pay 50 percent of the gym membership. Many seniors will just opt out of going to the gym if they are forced to pay. How does this help us, AARP?
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors