Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 531 of 625

I don't think AARP will do anything.  United Health Care has cut this program in other states in the past and AARP didn't care.  Silver Sneakers hasn't been offered in all 50 states in quite some time via UHC.  They are just finishing off what was already started.

I see my primary care doc next week and intend to ask which insurance company in  CA that he thinks is best.  Between him and his billing lady, I should walk out with some good suggestions.  I already have an enrollment appt to make the change.

Good luck to you.  I envy your monthly costs - CA is so darn expensive!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 532 of 625
Eaamon posted..

I think AARP might just search out another insurance company....as I might do on my own.....

==================================================

We have Montana BC BS Medicare Advantage and they will continue to have "silver sneakers" in 2019.

We have Gym membership and I do not know of any classes.

The cost of our plan is going up 24%...from $61 a month to $85 a month. The good news is its covering Dental which they did not last year... Dental Services (Non Medicare covered Preventive) "In and Out of Network...You pay $0 copay for up to 2 oral exams per year. This includes up to cleanings a year and 1 X-ray per year".
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 533 of 625

I am joining the chorus for those calling for AARP to stop this plan by United Healthcare to dump Silver Sneakers.  Having to pay 50% to stay in my gym will cost an additional $300 per year on top of the increase United Healthcare has already announced for premiums.  I have contacted Silver Sneakers which gave me a list of other supplemental insurance companies that are continuing to offer Silver Sneakers (here in California that includes Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of CAlifornia, Care First, Humana, and Scan).  Come on AARP, you're suppose to be fighting for us.  Don't let United Healthcare get away with this ... or I, and I am sure a lot of others, will dump you just like you plan to do with Silver Sneakers.  There are too many other insurers who obviously care more about preventative health than United Healthcare.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 534 of 625

Something for the insurance companies to think about:  What makes them different from what would be Medicare for All?  Perks.  Medicare runs a 2% overhead expense.  Private insurance runs 12% - 18% overhead or about $500 billion in overhead.  Somewhere in that $500 billion there surely must be room for a wellness program - namely Silver Sneakers.

And instead of you - the insurance company and AARP - deciding which 'exciting' program to offer us - why don't you ask us what we'd prefer?  Multiple choice - apples and apples.

Or maybe, when the talk about Medicare for all rolls around again (and it will), we the people, might put pencil and paper to the difference between a tax to pay for it and the cost of our ever rising premiuims for ever diminishing benefits and decide we're tired of the extra $500 billion out of our pockets  I suspect taxes would be less that paying your high salaries! 

And shame on you for including a flyer for us, your customers, to take to our gym and promote your new side business.  We don't work for you. You're supposed to work for us!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 535 of 625

Adding my voice to those who would like AARP to address this with UnitedHealthCare (renegoiate the deal....if our president can do it, why not AARP), as losing the SS benefit would increase our household health care cost (as going to the "Y" is a part of healthcare afterall).

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 536 of 625

I found the letter particulary annoying as this was framed as an opportunity.  I now take free class at the Senior Center as my instructor is Silver Sneakers certified.  With the new program I would have to join a gym which is quite expensive, also the choices in my area are limited. I have been attending this class for a long time and love it.  Once Silver Sneakers doesn't pick up the cost it will be $50 for every 8 weeks.

One of the gyms available is Anytime Fitness.  I once belonged to Anytime.  They will not tell you where equipment is or how to use the equipment unless you hire a $30/hr (back then) personal trainer.  I was constantly badgered to hire one as well as to purchase their weight loss drinks.  

That leaves me with a choice of one gym, since the insurance is only picking up half that should be $250.  

No thanks to the "opportunity".

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 537 of 625

If AARP is our representative in this matter, they should either demand that United Health Care include the Silver Sneakers Program for 2019 or endorse a plan that does.

I am really afraid that the line between UHC and AARP is so blurred and so much money flows between the two that AARP is no longer our representative. 

That is pretty sad.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 538 of 625

I am living in Illinois and have been going to the Gottlieb Center for Fitness in Melrose Park.  The Silver Sneakers classes are so full that sometimes not everyone can get to a chair.  There are also a lot of seniors who are not in the class but who use the gym for the aqua classes and the different machines.

Everyone in the class has a smile on his or her face when leaving class..  In addition to the exercise we enjoy the camaradie with each other. 

If AARP and United Healthcare drop Silver Sneakers, Gottlieb Center for Fitness will be a ghost town in the mornings.

A lot of seniors can't afford a gym membership even at a discount.  Also, the classes teach fall prevention and balance.  If Silver Sneakers is dropped, a lot of people may end up in the hospital.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 539 of 625

Like most everyone else here, I also received the letter from UHC regarding discontinuing "Silver Sneakers" . Shortly prior to that mailing, I got a letter from them, telling me that my premiums will be going up in January 2019. Double whammy and I am not happy. I'm not interested in 50 percent off of my YMCA membership, when I previously got it for free. I hope that AARP reads some of these comments and reconsiders endorsing them. Actually, I hope that UHC reads these comments. Perhaps they will wake up and change their minds, before we all leave them. Personally, I am not counting on that, but I will be switching to one of the other insurance companies, that continue to offer the "Silver Sneakers" program. It's a deal breaker for us older people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 540 of 625

I feel it's time for AARP to stop endorsing UHC. This not the first time UHC reduced benefits and eliminated doctors. I also will be looking for a plan to replace UHC and probably no longer support AARP.

Kudos
Views