From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 521 of 603

I received the same letter.  Very disappointed.  Raising premiums and dropping services but they assure us they are continuing to work for us to lower healthcare costs.  Yeah, right!  

We will I’ll also look into alternative plans. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 522 of 603
Not entirely true. Seniors will have to pay 50 percent of the gym membership. Many seniors will just opt out of going to the gym if they are forced to pay. How does this help us, AARP?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 523 of 603

Not good news. It is my understanding according to the letter I received that you will get 50 percent off a membership under this new plan. Many seniors will simply drop out of going to the gym if they are forced to pay anything. Great idea for our health!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 524 of 603

Here is a letter I wrote to AARP corporate headquarters today regarding this outrageous new policy:

AARP

601 E St. Nw

Washington, DC 20049

October 2, 1918

Dear AARP,

My husband and I are both long-time AARP members. We have been members of the AARP United Healthcare supplemental plan for years now. We are both outraged (and I hope you will be too) by the fact that your recommended health plan will no longer have the Silver Sneakers plan in Arizona, and that we would be forced to pay 50 percent of a normal monthly gym fee to keep our health.

We were under the impression that you understood that keeping fit is one of the finest and most invaluable ways to keep healthy, and that exercise is paramount to this. Perhaps you have changed your mind on this issue?

We were also outraged by the presentation of this news, by announcing proudly in your letter: What’s new? More services and a dedicated team to work with you ! And then the letter goes on to say no more Silver Sneakers as a part of their offerings! Is this your idea of more services??? There are more services, yes, but it will now cost us seniors. Many many of these seniors will simply opt out of going to a gym if they are forced to pay for it, and their health will suffer. Is this a good thing?

Well I would like my dedicated “team” to have a few words with United Healthcare and ensure that the millions of Americans who take advantage of Silver Sneakers will be able to continue this under your aegis.

Thanks you for your attention in this matter,

encl: September 21, 2018 letter from AARP

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 525 of 603

Just signed up for Siver Sneakers last week. Had a good monthly rate that I should have kept because I will not get a price that good again! Thanks for screwing me United Healthcare!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 526 of 603

I checked Humana here in Indiana, and the cost is actually about 50 cents less than United Healthcare.  That's for 2018.  If the same holds true for 2019, I will be changing.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 527 of 603

All that Optimum does is give you a code for the 50% off.  I called the 888-887-5963.  I asked if my reaction was shared by other callers.  The lady said yes.  I asked if she was reporting to her supervisor how unhappy customers were and she said no - she hadn't.

We need to make sure people we interface with are reporting our calls.  I asked her to please talk to everyone in her phone bank and have them let higher ups know how many unhappy people there are.

I also let her know - and asked her to pass on - that in CA, for my plan F, Humana is offering Silver Sneakers and the cost is $11/month more.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 528 of 603

PROBABLY JUST A COINCIDENCE?  BUT, SINCE I HAVE BEEN RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD I HAVE BEEN RECEIVING EXTRA SPAM EMAIL.  ANYONE ELSE?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 529 of 603

actually I called 1-888-887-5963 this morning and found out my club in CALIF  - Fitness19 is in the new program

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 530 of 603

They have no participating clubs in CA.  They want me to download flyers and take them in.  I guess I have to do their work for them?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors