Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 581 of 635

Just adding my bark to all the others bemoaning UHC's drop of Silver Sneakers. To date I have 155 gym visits in 2018 as a Silver Sneaker. Maybe that's why my claims on UHC insurance have been so low???

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 582 of 635

I have to say that in addition to being disappointed in UHC and their decision to drop a very valuable benefit next year, I am even more disappointed in AARP. 

AARP touts itself as being the advocate for seniors so it is very surprising to me that this organization did not use its considerable influence to dissuade UHC from dropping the Silver Sneakers program from the Medicare plans co-branded with AARP.

The 2019 discount program will strain the already tight budgets of many seniors and the Flip50 program will not be affordable for many, even with the small discount for AARP members.

Keeping seniors fit, socially engaged and healthy should be a major goal for both UHC and AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 583 of 635

This is VERY disappointing - one of the reasons I chose UHC was for this program.   I would like to see their data about their members medical costs that use the program vs. those that do not.   I suspect those active in Silver Sneakers have overall lower healthcare costs.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 584 of 635

Some interesting financial information on United Health Care Group, Inc,

Stephen J.Hemsley- Ex. Chairman 2017 total compenation: $18,223,330.00

David S.Wichmann-CEO-2017 total compensation: $17,389.976.00

Cut these bloated salaries not Silver Sneakers!!!!

NOW, NOW, YOU KNOW THAT THEY NEED THOSE SALARIES! 

AND DON'T FORGET THAT OUR TAX  CUT FOR THE "MIDDLE CLASS" (OR THE 1%) WILL HELP THESE POOR GUYS  BE ABLE TO LIVE ON THOSE SUBSTANDARD SALARIES. SO, PLEASE ACCEPT THE DISCONTINUATION OF SILVER SNEAKERS!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 585 of 635

Some interesting financial information on United Health Care Group, Inc,

Stephen J.Hemsley- Ex. Chairman 2017 total compenation: $18,223,330.00

David S.Wichmann-CEO-2017 total compensation: $17,389.976.00

Cut these bloated salaries not Silver Sneakers!!!!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 586 of 635

It is true that you may not be a guarantee issue after 6 months after applying for Medicare Part B but I believe that underwriting standards are more lenient than you may think. Apply early so that you can have a firm commitment for the other carrier you may select and in this way you won't be without coverage. Most insurers I believe will either accept you or decline you but do not upcharge you for preexixting conditions. Call the other carriers to confirm this.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 587 of 635

While I will remain with my current program, going to the gym is now out. I will find other ways to try and stay healthy. This move by United Healthcare is not beneficial, in my opinion.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 588 of 635

If United healthcare drops my Silver Sneakers benefit then I will drop United Healthcare!  

Seniors travel.  A gym membership reduction is NOT adequate.

My gym activity completely reversed the on set of arthritis in my fingers and shoulders!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 589 of 635
I totally agree! I use my silver sneakers for a water aerobics class as well as 24 Hour Fitness and it improved my health immensely. I was able to gain strength , ose weight, and in general enjoy life more. I'm really upset they're taking this away from us.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 590 of 635

@lh49631149 wrote:

UHC Medicare Supplement members who use Silver Sneakers are the ones who take health the most seriously and understand the importance of physical activity for preventative care.  With this abandonment of Silver Sneakers, UHC was hypocritical about how important Silver Sneakers was in the past.  UHC rationale for dropping coverage can only be because it puts more $$ in their pockets. Like many of the worst companies, UHC will only do the minimum required, in this case, only what the government says they have to do (your words in the next to last paragraph)..

UHC will lose their best clients, i.e., those who use Silver Sneakers and likely have fewer health problems and ultimately fewer claims with Medicare and UHC.  Put those numbers in your financial analysis.

A Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plan is different than a Medicare Advantage plan - although both are offered by private insurance companies. 

A Medicare Advantage plan is an option for getting your actual Medicare benefits.  A beneficiary has the choice of getting their Medicare benefits through the traditional (original) program OR through a Medicare Advantage plan.  A Medicare Advantage plan covers everything that traditional (original) Medicare covers just in a different way.  It may also offer extra benefits - these would be the option of the private insurer since these extra benefits aren't legislated to be covered. 

A Medicare Supplemental Plan or Medigap policy (they are the same thing) is private health insurance that helps supplement Original Medicare. This means it helps pay some of the health care costs that Original Medicare doesn't cover (like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles). These are “gaps” in Medicare coverage. ... Then your Medigap policy pays its share.

That is pretty much all  a Medigap or Medicare Suuplemental policy is - GAP or Supplemental coverage insurance.  This type of policy ONLY picks up what original Medicare does not pay.

I have no doubt that seniors staying active physically helps their overall health but in this case, it may be helping out original Medicare and the claims paid by both original Medicare and Medigap.  

But since this type of activity (Silver Sneakers) is NOT covered by original Medicare as being medically necessary, then this is an extra benefit by a private insurer and they do have the right to design it or re-design it.  And yes, make money off of it if that is the case. 

Silver Sneakers is a program by Tivity Health - it is offered to Medicare plans, to employer plans, other group plans - no insurer has to use it specifically.  AARP it seems has joined with Tivity Health to create that flip50 program for people in their age membership (over 50 - which covers more than just Medicare beneficiaries).  UHC has estabilised Optum Fitness, I think it is called.  Other private Medicare insurers which use Silver Sneakers will have their contract with Tivity Health coming up for renewal in the years to come so there may be more decisions to be maide by other seniors then depending upon what the private Medicare insurer decides.   The Humana and Tivity Health contract, I believe, comes up in 2020.

Here is the 2017 Guide from The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services which explains many of the nuances associated with a Medigap or Medicare Supplemental plans - all the rules are listed here as to what is guaranteed issue, when guaranteed issue is in play and when it is not. 

CMS - 2017 Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare

I think people who are considering changing their Medicare Supplemental or Medigap Plan should become familiar with it and understand what could happen if they change plans without a guaranteed issue specification.

Changing a Medicare Advantage plan from one to another is no big deal and can be done annually during the open enrollment period starting in mid-October of each year.  However a beneficiary will have to make sure that other prerequisite are met like doctors and other providers being in network or if it includes a Prescription Drug Plan (MA-PD) that medicines needed are on the coverage  formulary, among other things.

This is just information - nothing else.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views