Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 541 of 602

Nope not the case.  My classes were the silver sneaker classes.  My rec center which is in Medina Ohio said they are not allowing the Optum people to be part of the silver sneaker classes.  They said the Optum people came in to talk with them and they said their attorneys said no optum people can join the silver sneaker classes unless they pay for it.  It makes sense.  Why should Optum get to have free classes under the silver sneakers plan.  If that is the case then they should not have changed.  I was told it was going to be a wonderful program.  So far it is not.  I am asking my agent to look for a new plan for me this year that includes silver sneakers.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 542 of 602

My gym was under the new Optum program.  However, I could join the gym for no cost but the classes that I used to take for free were now going to cost me.  They failed to tell me that last year when they said my gym was in their program.  Just frustrating.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 543 of 602

I want to add my voice to the people upset by our supplemental plan not covering Silver Sneakers next year.  I immediately asked my agent to see if we could switch to another plan.  

Unlike some, we are fortunate that our usual gym is at least offered under their new program, but it doesn't cut it for us.  We travel and have really loved the ability to join other gyms when we are in the area.  I figured it was in the insurer's best interest to encourage exercise and that's why it was offered.  I am disappointed that AARP doesn't push UHC to continue the benefit.  So much for advocacy.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 544 of 602

@v104 wrote:

I disagree with AARP's decision to drop Silver Sneakers.  Both my wife and I use the gym.  The Flip50 program that AARP is encouraging will cost $35 per month for each of us, and instead of having 7 gyms with pools in a 10 mile radius from our house, we will have one, and it's outdoor.  If I join my current gym, it will cost $25 per person, so Flip50 is certainly no bargain.  AARP should reconsider.

I believe that the AARP/Tivity Health Flip50 Program has other benefits than just the gym -

https://www.flippingfifty.com/

and it is also available to more of the AARP membership (50 and over).  Silver Sneakers covered only 65 and over with Medicare private insurers - Medicare Advantage or .Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 545 of 602

I disagree with AARP's decision to drop Silver Sneakers.  Both my wife and I use the gym.  The Flip50 program that AARP is encouraging will cost $35 per month for each of us, and instead of having 7 gyms with pools in a 10 mile radius from our house, we will have one, and it's outdoor.  If I join my current gym, it will cost $25 per person, so Flip50 is certainly no bargain.  AARP should reconsider.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 546 of 602

In Ohio for 2019 Medical Mutual offers a very aggressive rate. In fact a couple bucks less than UHC.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 547 of 602

Does anyone know of a plan that includes Silver Sneakers for a comparable price to United Health Care?  The decision to drop that benefit seems very ill advised to me.  I would think that fit Seniors would be beneficial to the plan and save money rather than cost money.

United Health Care, reverse your decision.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 548 of 602

Just adding my bark to all the others bemoaning UHC's drop of Silver Sneakers. To date I have 155 gym visits in 2018 as a Silver Sneaker. Maybe that's why my claims on UHC insurance have been so low???

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 549 of 602

I have to say that in addition to being disappointed in UHC and their decision to drop a very valuable benefit next year, I am even more disappointed in AARP. 

AARP touts itself as being the advocate for seniors so it is very surprising to me that this organization did not use its considerable influence to dissuade UHC from dropping the Silver Sneakers program from the Medicare plans co-branded with AARP.

The 2019 discount program will strain the already tight budgets of many seniors and the Flip50 program will not be affordable for many, even with the small discount for AARP members.

Keeping seniors fit, socially engaged and healthy should be a major goal for both UHC and AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 550 of 602

This is VERY disappointing - one of the reasons I chose UHC was for this program.   I would like to see their data about their members medical costs that use the program vs. those that do not.   I suspect those active in Silver Sneakers have overall lower healthcare costs.

Kudos
Views