You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 321 of 376

Does anyone know of a plan that includes Silver Sneakers for a comparable price to United Health Care?  The decision to drop that benefit seems very ill advised to me.  I would think that fit Seniors would be beneficial to the plan and save money rather than cost money.

United Health Care, reverse your decision.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 322 of 376

Just adding my bark to all the others bemoaning UHC's drop of Silver Sneakers. To date I have 155 gym visits in 2018 as a Silver Sneaker. Maybe that's why my claims on UHC insurance have been so low???

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 323 of 376

I have to say that in addition to being disappointed in UHC and their decision to drop a very valuable benefit next year, I am even more disappointed in AARP. 

AARP touts itself as being the advocate for seniors so it is very surprising to me that this organization did not use its considerable influence to dissuade UHC from dropping the Silver Sneakers program from the Medicare plans co-branded with AARP.

The 2019 discount program will strain the already tight budgets of many seniors and the Flip50 program will not be affordable for many, even with the small discount for AARP members.

Keeping seniors fit, socially engaged and healthy should be a major goal for both UHC and AARP.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 324 of 376

This is VERY disappointing - one of the reasons I chose UHC was for this program.   I would like to see their data about their members medical costs that use the program vs. those that do not.   I suspect those active in Silver Sneakers have overall lower healthcare costs.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 325 of 376

Some interesting financial information on United Health Care Group, Inc,

Stephen J.Hemsley- Ex. Chairman 2017 total compenation: $18,223,330.00

David S.Wichmann-CEO-2017 total compensation: $17,389.976.00

Cut these bloated salaries not Silver Sneakers!!!!

NOW, NOW, YOU KNOW THAT THEY NEED THOSE SALARIES! 

AND DON'T FORGET THAT OUR TAX  CUT FOR THE "MIDDLE CLASS" (OR THE 1%) WILL HELP THESE POOR GUYS  BE ABLE TO LIVE ON THOSE SUBSTANDARD SALARIES. SO, PLEASE ACCEPT THE DISCONTINUATION OF SILVER SNEAKERS!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 326 of 376

Some interesting financial information on United Health Care Group, Inc,

Stephen J.Hemsley- Ex. Chairman 2017 total compenation: $18,223,330.00

David S.Wichmann-CEO-2017 total compensation: $17,389.976.00

Cut these bloated salaries not Silver Sneakers!!!!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 327 of 376

It is true that you may not be a guarantee issue after 6 months after applying for Medicare Part B but I believe that underwriting standards are more lenient than you may think. Apply early so that you can have a firm commitment for the other carrier you may select and in this way you won't be without coverage. Most insurers I believe will either accept you or decline you but do not upcharge you for preexixting conditions. Call the other carriers to confirm this.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 328 of 376

While I will remain with my current program, going to the gym is now out. I will find other ways to try and stay healthy. This move by United Healthcare is not beneficial, in my opinion.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 329 of 376

If United healthcare drops my Silver Sneakers benefit then I will drop United Healthcare!  

Seniors travel.  A gym membership reduction is NOT adequate.

My gym activity completely reversed the on set of arthritis in my fingers and shoulders!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 330 of 376
I totally agree! I use my silver sneakers for a water aerobics class as well as 24 Hour Fitness and it improved my health immensely. I was able to gain strength , ose weight, and in general enjoy life more. I'm really upset they're taking this away from us.
Kudos
Views