From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 621 of 651
This site shows this year. Hope it updates.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 622 of 651

Silver Sneakers is also being dropped in North Carolina. As others have stated this will be another dent in our monthly retirement budget if we choose to continue our exercise program at the YMCA.  It has been such a treat to be able to join the Y and take advantage of the programs offered.  I  guess it's more important for United Health Care to make more profit.  Just shows you that many, many seniors were taking advantage of Silver Sneakers that they started to loose money.  All they have done is take away something good and NOT give anything better.  Maybe for them but not better for seniors.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 623 of 651

It's time for AARP to look into changing their recommended Medigap carrier from United Health Care. The discontinuance of the Silver Sneakers program in Ohio is just another method of raising premiums in a non transparent manner. At the least the premiums should have been reduced to reflect the loss of coverage. Medical Mutual and well as many other carriers continue to have Silver Sneakers in their program.Time to stop following the endorsed carrier odf AARP and time to look after what is best for me. Very disappointed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 624 of 651

Go to this website to find which medicare insurance that offers Silver Sneakers: https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 625 of 651

In Ohio Anthem, Medical Mutual and Humana medicare supplement plans offer "Silver Sneakers" . Of course most medicare advantage plans do the same. It's best to an insurance broker to make the switch!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Just a Caution about changing plans

Message 626 of 651

Several of you are talking about changing Medicare plans because the Silver Sneakers (specific) program has been discontinued in connection with the plan, just be cautious.

If you currently have a Medicare Advantage plan, you can switch during open enrollment that begins in a few weeks, no problem there - pick the best one you want within your area.

However, if it is a Medicare supplemental plan ( Medigap ) which you have that works with the traditional Medicare program, changing to another Medigap plan under a different insurer might not be quite as easy.  Just work with a knowledgeable person or make sure you understand the rules connected to a change in a Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) Insurer.  Reference the subject on Medicare.gov and any state specific rules that may help or hinder such a change.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 627 of 651

I received notice that United Health Care Insurance Company will no longer offer the Silver Sneakers Program in Ohio.

I am on a limited income and this was a valuable benefit that I used weekly! You offer a YMCA discounted membership at a discount of 50% in its place-this will cut into my meager income.

So now you can increase your stock dividend. and your executive compensation with the additional income that this cost saving will provide the company.

Your form letter begins “As you known, at UnitedHealth care, we are committed to providing you with a wide variety of health and well services “. You do have a commitment but the commitment is not to my health but to greater profits!

Keith A. Mann

1175 Calla Road East, A123

Poland, Ohio 44514

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 628 of 651

I am also disappointed that Silver Sneakers is being dropped by AARP's recommended medicare provider.  I am currrent lookng for other medicare providers that support the Siler Sneakers proogram

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 629 of 651

I was extremely disappointed today when I received the letter from AARP stating that effective January 1, 2019, they will be dropping Silver Sneaker. The Silver Sneaker program is one of the best programs to promote exercise and wellness for senior in existence. By dropping this program they are sentencing an untold number of seniors to a death sentence of inactivity. It looks like AARP and United Healthcare want to start their own program from what I read into the letter and force fitness companies to join their network. Smart, get your members to do the dirty work for you lazy folks. It is all about greed! Doesn't make any difference if it is the Democrats, Republicans, or now AARP. So much for the AARP representing all seniors, that is just a marketing line filled with BS. Guess I might be looking for another health insurer for next year. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 630 of 651

i have skin in the game...working for 47 years paid full Social Security and full insurance premium.  I pay both a premium for AARP and a medicare premium and deductible.  That is quite a lot of money.

I will chose my yoga program or Pilates and then they can pay half.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors