From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 631 of 651

Well I do not like your other so called opiunm...it is not all that here where i live in Cleveland Ohio...The place i was going.to for 3 yrs...does not except it and the other places are in need of repairs and they are dirty.....bathrooms for... I am a senior and i really dont want to travel to the other side of town..I really miss the place i was going to..its really ashame we can not choose...in my area we have more silver sneakers acceptance then optimum.....

Rosemarie Kuebler...Sept 4 2018

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 632 of 651

UHC/AARP doesn't offer Silver Sneakers to their medigap customers in Washington state ( told that in a phone call to the company ).  The Optum deal does cover my local gyms but pays 50%, not the entire cost.  In some ways this makes sense as you're more likely to use it with some "skin in the game."

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 633 of 651
Went into silver sneakers web site and was told i no longer have my silver sneakers.....I am very anger with all their bull .....no sneakers no hearing aids no compression socking for for my legs ..no shoes....and who knows what else. I am a diabetic and these things I need....guess i will have look for new Insurance
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 634 of 651

@MaryL1957 wrote:
I was told the facility which is my community recreation center would take Optum Fitness and I would continue getting my classes for free. I previously had Silver Sneakers. However, when I went to get my card I was told the facility will take Optum but I am no longer able to go to my classes (Silver Sneaker classes) for free. I was totally mislead when I signed up and that makes me very upset.

Here is the November 2017 announcement on the Optum Fitness Advantage program available to individual Medicare Advantage members in some states.

Star Tribune 11.06.2017'- UnitedHealth Group enters senior fitness market race.

Things "told" sometimes get miscommunicated especially since this is a very new progra

To double check what you have been told, put your location into the Optum Fitness Advantage participating fitness participants and see which facilities come up.  

That location should offer the things covered in the agreement which they have with United Health Group.  From the press release, it says:

In Minnesota, UnitedHealthcare doesn't currently sell Medicare Advantage plans, so the news won't impact subscribers here. The new Optum program gives Medicare Advantage customers in states like Arizona and Texas access to a large network of participating fitness centers.

"Plan participants will have access to the same services, privileges, classes and programs as the fitness centers' standard members, including waiver of all enrollment fees," UnitedHealthcare said Monday in a statement announcing the program.

This is exactly what the agreement says to participating facilities.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gfit-omas/public/files/2/Gym_Informational_Flyer.pdf

There is also a place on the Optum Fitness Advantage website where you can ask them to solicite a particular facility to enroll in the program.

Perhaps the class which you want isn't part of the standard membership .

If that is the case, and this class was something specific to your previous Silver Sneakers plan and since there is now more competition in this senior fitness program, before you switch back to another Medicare Advantage plan still offering 

the Silver Sneakers program, you should make sure that their plan hasn't changed too.

These fitness programs are an extra benefit - not one that is mandated by Medicare - so they can change, modify, stop at will unless it is specifically covered in the ANNUAL Medicare Advantage plans benefit description disclosure and then it is only an annual benefit.

If this is an important part of the coverage you desire in a Medicare health plan, check it out at the annual open enrollment.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 635 of 651
I was told the facility which is my community recreation center would take Optum Fitness and I would continue getting my classes for free. I previously had Silver Sneakers. However, when I went to get my card I was told the facility will take Optum but I am no longer able to go to my classes (Silver Sneaker classes) for free. I was totally mislead when I signed up and that makes me very upset.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 636 of 651

@MaryL1957

This sort of benefit for either of the programs limits their coverage to "Participating facilities".  

Have you determined which facilities take the Optum Fitness Advantage program in your area?  Most likely the facilities differ between the two programs.

Optum Fitness Advantage

This website will allow you to find a participating facility.

BTW, Optum Fitness, OptumRX, AARP United Healthcare Medicare Advantage, AARP Medicare Supplemental plans, any United Healthcare plan are ALL part of the United Health Group - they are just subsidiaries of the same overall business.

AARP just partners with this group, as well as others, to offer benefits to their Members and AARP does get money for this relationship.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 637 of 651

I had Silver Sneakers with my old plan.  I switched to United Health Care AARP Medicare Advantage Plan and was told Optum Fitness is replacing Silver Sneakers.  So I was very worried about this but was assured that it would cover the same things as Silver Sneakers.  Well I had my 4th back surgery and I use the aqua therapy classes that I have used for year with my Silver Sneakers Plan.  When I went in a week ago to sign up for the new Optum I was told I can use the classes but now have to pay for them.  I was told they are only free for the Silver Sneakers people.  And the nice woman at our city Recreation Center told me that the Optum people were told that we cannot use the classes.  So I was totally mislead when I changed my plan.  And there is nothing I can do until open enrollment.  If they are staying with Optum and not going back to Silver Sneakers I will no longer stay with this plan.  So terribly disappointed that I was lied to by the person selling me this plan.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 638 of 651

@Sushi4334wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but I checked and there's nothing within an hour's drive of us that Optum Fitness covers

Sorry - Please do remember that this is an EXTRA benefit from the insurers, if they give it.  It is not a Federal requirement that they give it (HA - "give") at all and with that, the insurer can still change it at anytime unless it is in the contract - The ones that I have seen are NOT in the actual contract rather it is used as an inticement - and advertized as such.

If it is a priority to have it, perhaps this should be a priority when you are signing up for a Medicare Advantage plan -You can change your Medicare Advantage plan every year during open enrollment in order to continue the program - unless they cancel it mid-year, which they still could. 

It is like any other network which insurers have to build - the insurer has to find providers that will work with the insurers price/payment structure for the benefit, in this case an extra benefit..   

I would not change a Medigap plan just to get it unless there are some special consideration which would work in the beneficiary's favor and not against them, which could be the case with a Medigap plan change.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 639 of 651

Thanks for the suggestion but I checked and there's nothing within an hour's drive of us that Optum Fitness covers

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 640 of 651

@Sushi4334

See if you can type in your address on their website to search for a participating location -

United Healthcare"s Optum® Fitness Advantage

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season