Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 631 of 642

@Sushi4334

See if you can type in your address on their website to search for a participating location -

United Healthcare"s Optum® Fitness Advantage

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 632 of 642

May 2018, we live in **bleep** but moved to MA for the summer, trying to sign up at a local YMCA but they don't recognize "Optum Fitness Advantage". We have the AARP Medicare Advantage program run by United Healthcare.

Even though the United Healthcare woman on the phone tried her best, she really didn't know that (as it appears) United has actually switched companies, not just program names, and the whole system is different. And, at least the Y we're trying to join does not recognize Optum Fitness Advantage nor the confirmation numbers we were given by United to sign in, in lieu of the old Silver Sneakers ID card.

BTW, although another comment had suggested you could just get your card directly from Silver Sneakers, I just checked my eligibility there and I'm no longer in their system. We had used Silver Sneakers benefit for several years at our local gym in **bleep** and were grateful for it.

To AARP: it looks as if United is trying to cheap out of giving its members a decent fitness club benefit. Since your name is on this plan, I'm hoping you'll stand up for your members and demand at least the benefits we enjoyed under the Silver Sneakers program. Keeping fit does in fact keep many of us from expensive (for insurance companies as well as us) poor health; why not encourage it for real and not just give lip service, which it seems that "Optum Fitness Advantage" actually is?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 633 of 642

Wow.  Not a good business practice.  I have only been a member of the UnitedHealthCare plan for less than a month and I am already planning on switching to Aetna.  Aetna does have the Silver Sneaker program.  I want nothing to do with anything tied to Optum.  Check the thread on Optum RX as well as other information\reviews of Optum RX on the internet.  Read the thousands of complaints and info on several class action lawsuits involving United, Cigna and Optum.  Also, goverment reviewing some practices for possible criminal activities.  Does AARP really want to be associated with such companies.  I have be going through Hell with my first mail ordrer prescription submitted by my doctor.  No more.  Can't wait for the open enrollment period to get here.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 634 of 642

Good news: United Healthcare is still offering the benefit - but they are useing a new vedor: Optum Fitness Advantage. To sign up, go to their website: fitnessadvantage.optum.com 

I just found this out by calling United Healthcare. They were sweet and helpful - but I complained that they should have notified us of the change!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 635 of 642

This is a real bummer.  I had no idea they had dropped Silver Sneakers

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 636 of 642

I am angry. Access to silver sneakers was one of the reasons I chose to go with United Healthcare and now, months later, I find out that it is no longer included? I realize that AARP is not responsible - that it's a United Healthcare thing - but I still hold AARP accountable because they advertise that this is the only plan backed by AARP. I see advertisements for it constantly. Yet, here we are. 

Totally unacceptable. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 637 of 642

Go to silversneakers.com to check your eligibility. I did and my membership is with them, not UnitedHealthcare. You can print out your card there.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 638 of 642

I was upset when I saw this and I went to silversneakers.com and I am still eligible for silver sneakers and could print out a card with my member number. You don’t need United Health Care to get the benefit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 639 of 642

That is one of the primary reasons I signed up with AARP-United Health Care. Doesn't that put people at risk of paying much higher premiums after switching to a 2nd Medicare Health Company??

Liz

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 640 of 642

interesting, I will have to check it out before the window closes.

AARP should have been on top of this and gave us a warning while finding a insurer

that wants their clients to stay healthy.

also to note since United Healthcare reported today they say their income will go

up next year...

NOT if there is a swarm of folks who sign up with another insurance company!

Kudos
Views