Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led To Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 81 of 91

I am covered in NJ for Silver Sneakers.  I would love a Zimba, that isn't so fast.  I love fast dancing but, I rather go slow.  Love the R&B, that would be soooo sexy

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 82 of 91

On a second note it covers some supplemental plan members in certain states.  I live in Oregon and it is not covered here unless you are an advantage plan member.  I don't know why, can anyone enlighten me.  I would like to be able to go to a gym.  Again Pooey.

Info Seeker

Message 83 of 91

Doesnt cover the gym membership.  Looks like for the high price you pay that they dont offer silver sneakers anymore for the medicare supplement plan.  I am extremely disappointed.  Their is another type called silver and fit, but they don't have that either. Pooey

Info Seeker

Message 84 of 91

Bravo for calling out Silver Sneakers for not being much good for seniors.  I too am totally frustrated because Silver Sneakers has declined to support my membership at my incredable YMCA, which is closest to my home and totally senior and community responsive.  What I have learned, so far, is that Silver Sneakers only honors two gyms, convenient to my home  -- one of which is a Gold's Gym, incredibly overcrowded and filled with young jocks, who carelessly walk around with large weights on their shoulders and think that the "f" word is an adjective, and a Curves gym, which is simply too silly for words.  I have also been informed that my local YMCA was declined membership in the Silver Sneakers program because it is in too close proximity to the two forementioned gyms.  There is no such thing as a freebee and those of us who pay for health services through AARP and United Health Care are entitled to better and more appropriate gym services than the current designated Silver Sneakers gyms in my area.  As an educated senior and one who will settle for nothing less than appropriate ROI for my investment in United Health Care, I am committed to pursuing this issue until Silver Sneakers provides me with a gym close to my home that is truly appropriate to my needs and I urge everyone else to do the same.

Info Seeker

Message 85 of 91

I'm looking as well....did you find anything?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 91

According to the    Silver Sneakers Website,     this UHC plan in MA has the benefit.

AARP MedicareComplete Choice
AARP MedicareComplete Choice Phone Number UnitedHealthcare Members please call the number on the back of your health plan ID card. Web site www.AARPMedicarePlans.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Course it is always best to verify any coverage.
There were other insurers listed too - but annual enrollment is now over for changes for this year.

As with other health insurance, you have to balance out your prioritized needs with the plans.

Info Seeker

Message 87 of 91
I pay my dues to United Healthcare and they do not cover silver sneakers anyplace in Massachussets.Promised prevention???
They would rather cover very expensive surgeries NOT prevention by physical exercises suited for elders.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 88 of 91

information about silversneakers can be gained by going to their website silversneakers.com.  It's a rather popular added perk, and even more so for people that live in more populated areas, where there's a wider choice of places.  You would simply put in your zipcode, and it would give you the addresses of the nearest facilities to you. 

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

Info Seeker

Message 89 of 91

I don't even know how to join Silver Sneakers.  How do you go about it?

Info Seeker

Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 90 of 91
Are you happy with the gym selected for free membership by the Silver Sneaker bunch?  Well I am not.  I live near Grass Valley Ca., and the gym selected is old and moldy.  You cannot swim in their pool because there is a huge mass of chlorine gas lurking over it, which swimmers have to choke through.   It is very unhealthy.   They are overcrowded, fail to have even meagre comfort amenities, like benches in the dressing rooms.  I don't like it.

There is another gym in town that totally fits my requirements.  Open, spacious, a delightful and very large pool area, and yet, I can't take advantage of my Unitedhealthcare perk to join it. 

I joined UNitedhjealthcare because I felt I could justify the premium it covered gym membership.  Well it does, but not for me.  Does anyone else have this problem?