Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led To Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 61 of 91

Wow!  I usually do not read these forums. The Silver Sneakers membership is going to be the determining factor in my selection of a supplemental Medicare policy.  This is really a shame. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 62 of 91

I think it's a done deal.  For us, it amounts to a $50/month premium increase all by itself, since that's what it will cost us to keep the Silver Sneakers gym membership at the new "special" rate of 50% off.

We got Silver Sneakers in our Plan F.  It looks like BCBS Plan F's still have Silver Sneakers next year.  We're looking at switching to the Blues.

Info Seeker

Message 63 of 91

United Healthcare is also discontinuing Silver Sneakers in Kentucky.  Any ideas on how we can fight this?

Info Seeker

Message 64 of 91

I also received a letter from MI United Healthcare telling me and my husband that Silver Sneakers would no longer be covered by my insurance plan.  I spoke with a representative about this matter and was told that strong support was shown for the alternative benefits they will offer in place of Silver Sneakers and that these benefits would support a larger number of their membership. 

These are 1. Personalized wellness resources.  (this involves phone and wellness coaches and joining online groups. 2. A registered nurse by phone. 3. Community resources, healthcare cost saving opportunities and social services.  

All these may or may not be exciting to others but I seriously doubt it takes the place of joining a Silver Sneakers group where you have both social interaction and physical exercise.  I suspect some of the new services might be a means of financial reimbursement for United Healthcare from Medicare.  

AARP should use their immense lobbying power to support all their members in making Silver Sneakers available.  As you have so often preached there is nothing more medically and mentally important than getting up and out of the house and exercising.  Group interaction is an important part of this.

I have supported AARP in all their requests to help lobby for other good issues.  Please help us to keep Siliver Sneakers as a part of the AARP United Healthcare plan in all states.

Conversationalist

Message 65 of 91

Silver Sneakers is being removed from AARP Medicare plans, at least in Michigan, as of January 1 2017.  What a shame.  They're replacing it with a 50% discount at some fitness centers.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 66 of 91

You can go to any gym or fitness facility that participates in Silver Sneakers give them your name, address (you don’t need to even tell them who your insurance is) and they can tell you using the Silver Sneakers database if you have that benefit.

My AARP/United Healthcare supplement plan includes Silver Sneakers.

Info Seeker

Message 67 of 91

Ibelong to a gym " Planet Fitness" in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 91

i belong to a gym Planet Fitness in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

Info Seeker

Message 69 of 91
I belong to Silver Sneakers through my Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance through my employer; I am now retired. I have a friend who has her's through AARP, and is happy with it. Your problem seems to be local choices. There are many choices if you are willing to go out of your locale. I have 3 choices in my town of Round Rock, TX including Fitness 19 (where I go), Gold's Gym, and a 24-hour gym whose name I can't remember. AARP or United Health needs to vet these gyms because they are paying for your use of the facility. I wouldn't go where you described either. Hope you find a solution.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 70 of 91
AARP does not provide Silver Sneakers, United Healthcare does. Confusing, I know but you need to talk to them.