Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Info Seeker

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 61 of 98

This site is horrible. I think it's designed to keep us from submitting feedback.

Last June I learned that my YMCA would start charging me again in January 2017. I was told United Healthcare and YMCAs nationwide had agreed to start charging Silver Sneakers members 50 percent, starting in 2017. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 62 of 98

Medicare Advantage plans still offer Silver Sneakers.  I have concluded that in Michigan no Medigap plan offers Silver Sneakers anymore.  Research informs me that S.S. was a benefit with AARP since 2008.  They dropped it like other Medigap providers and so it will not be available in 2017.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 63 of 98

Okay, just had to step in here.  Medicare Supplement plans like plan F, G, N, what have you work the same, regardless of which company you purchase it from.  They pay their portion, after Medicare has approved the charge, based on the letter plan selected.  What is the difference between one company's plan F and anothers?

• COST
  • How long they increase the cost based on AGE
  • and added perks

The COST piece is "what does it cost NOW" factor, that is frequently used to sway one's decision.  But, the other factor to check is "at what age will they cease to increase the rate simply based on your age?"  IE: If you were 85, what would your rate be, if you were still on the plan you want?

These are the things that matter most in a health plan.  Because frankly, that's what affects my pocket book.

The added perks, are just that.  Added perks, that can be discontinued. It's not great news, and unfortunately, as I read, there may be other plans that have silversneakers.  What you have to decide is, is the added cost worth it.

Here in California, AARP Medicare Supplements offer SilverSneakers, but so do other major carriers of Medicare Supplements.  But, word of caution, it's expensive I hear, to live here.  Here is hoping that you all have a fantastic, and safe holiday.

Lance 

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 98

j73671b wrote:

j73671b wrote:

. . . . . But we arranged for you to pay a discounted price to join Silver Sneakers on your own. 

I cannot find a supplemenatl plan that offers Silver Sneakers as a benefit and that has a suitable premium.  By the way BC/BS may not offer Silver Sneakers as a benefit with its supplemenatl plan.  It does offer Silver Sneakers with a Medicare Advantage plan.

Yes, Medicare Advantage plans sometimes use extra benefits to lure in insurees.  Rarely is this sort of extra benefit offered in a Medigap (supplemental) policy.  However, if you do happen to find one, take note that certain pre-existing health conditions may not be immediately or fully covered under a new policy.

(See the heading of " REPLACING YOUR EXISTING MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY WITH ONE FROM A DIFFERENT COMPANY" at this linkSmiley Happy

Michigan Dept of Insurance and Financial Services: Medicare Supplement Policies

Have you checked the discounted price they are offering?  Seems like the easier, softer way if you are otherwise pleased with the supplemental policy.  Remember that ALL supplemental plans under whichever alphabet must cover the same things and only vary by price normally.

Info Seeker

Message 65 of 98

The reply you got from AARP/United is a big joke.   You wote: I spoke with a representative about this matter and was told that strong support was shown for the alternative benefits they will offer.

The new scheme is not in effect yet but they say it has "strong support".

If anyone knows of a competitively priced Plan F that will offer Silver Sneakers in 2017, please post that info.

Info Seeker

Message 66 of 98

(I hope this message works.  The site is not well designed in my opinion.)  I am also in Michigan and am disappointed that Silver Sneakers has been eliminated as a benefit.  The explanation letter from AARP/United is nonsense.  "AARP no longer provides this benefit.  But we arranged for you to pay a discounted price to join Silver Sneakers on your own.  And AARP/United has some other worthless fitness benefits.  Why you can phone and speak to someone for advice."  Big deal.

I cannot find a supplemenatl plan that offers Silver Sneakers as a benefit and that has a suitable premium.  By the way BC/BS may not offer Silver Sneakers as a benefit with its supplemenatl plan.  It does offer Silver Sneakers with a Medicare Advantage plan.

Info Seeker

Message 67 of 98

I am in Michigan. Do you know what other insurance companies might offer Silver Sneakers with the Medicare Supplement? I have not been able to find one and I want to leave United Health Care for taking this very valuable benefit away and still raising my rate!

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 98

Wow!  I usually do not read these forums. The Silver Sneakers membership is going to be the determining factor in my selection of a supplemental Medicare policy.  This is really a shame. 

Conversationalist

Message 69 of 98

I think it's a done deal.  For us, it amounts to a $50/month premium increase all by itself, since that's what it will cost us to keep the Silver Sneakers gym membership at the new "special" rate of 50% off.

We got Silver Sneakers in our Plan F.  It looks like BCBS Plan F's still have Silver Sneakers next year.  We're looking at switching to the Blues.

Info Seeker

Message 70 of 98

United Healthcare is also discontinuing Silver Sneakers in Kentucky.  Any ideas on how we can fight this?