Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 151 of 167
I am moving to Florida and United Health care don't support Silver Sneakers there. I just joined a wonderful YMCA only to find out that as soon as I become a resident I will lose it.AARP should bring some pressure on United Health care to include this in all states, not just a select few.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 152 of 167

MAYBE IF EVERYBODY WOULD SWITCH TO HUMANA INSURANCE, UNITED HEALTHCARE WOULD WAKE UP AND RECONSIDER OFFERING THE SILVER SNEAKERS PLAN.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 153 of 167
Spoiler

Just go to Silversneakers.com and follow their instructions on their website.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 154 of 167

I live in Alabama and have been enjoying a free membership at the YMCA which is a wonderful gym and pool for the last 2 years.  I just got a letter from AARP (United Healthcare) saying they were no longer going to offer Silver Sneakers in Alabama.  I'm really upset that they are so ignorant not to realize the preventative health care is well worth their paying for gym memberships.   Humana Supplementary Insurance does support the Silver Sneakers program here in my city so I'm seriously thinking about switching over to them!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 155 of 167
Big zip code big Perks. Little zip code no Perks. I am paying more for plan November than others pay for plan For yet they get free membership to YMCA as Perks. What makes me less deserving to be healthy? Shame on you AARP/United Health
Marie D
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 156 of 167

Where are the gyms in Lubbock, Texas that recognize AARP membership free?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 157 of 167

I am covered in NJ for Silver Sneakers.  I would love a Zimba, that isn't so fast.  I love fast dancing but, I rather go slow.  Love the R&B, that would be soooo sexy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 158 of 167

On a second note it covers some supplemental plan members in certain states.  I live in Oregon and it is not covered here unless you are an advantage plan member.  I don't know why, can anyone enlighten me.  I would like to be able to go to a gym.  Again Pooey.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 159 of 167

Doesnt cover the gym membership.  Looks like for the high price you pay that they dont offer silver sneakers anymore for the medicare supplement plan.  I am extremely disappointed.  Their is another type called silver and fit, but they don't have that either. Pooey

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 160 of 167

Bravo for calling out Silver Sneakers for not being much good for seniors.  I too am totally frustrated because Silver Sneakers has declined to support my membership at my incredable YMCA, which is closest to my home and totally senior and community responsive.  What I have learned, so far, is that Silver Sneakers only honors two gyms, convenient to my home  -- one of which is a Gold's Gym, incredibly overcrowded and filled with young jocks, who carelessly walk around with large weights on their shoulders and think that the "f" word is an adjective, and a Curves gym, which is simply too silly for words.  I have also been informed that my local YMCA was declined membership in the Silver Sneakers program because it is in too close proximity to the two forementioned gyms.  There is no such thing as a freebee and those of us who pay for health services through AARP and United Health Care are entitled to better and more appropriate gym services than the current designated Silver Sneakers gyms in my area.  As an educated senior and one who will settle for nothing less than appropriate ROI for my investment in United Health Care, I am committed to pursuing this issue until Silver Sneakers provides me with a gym close to my home that is truly appropriate to my needs and I urge everyone else to do the same.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors