Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 1 of 169

i was very disappointed to hear AARP will discontinue Silver Slipppers.  It was such a benefit for us seniors.  I hope you would reconsider your decisions.  You may find this was a bad decision.  Nadyne Jackson.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Re SHAME ON AARP UHC STOPPING SILVER SNEAKERS

Message 2 of 169

I, too, just got off the phone with AARP UHC and found their reasoning behind dropping Silver Sneakers to not make any sense. They explained they wanted to expand other services like phone a nurse and other things but I can still have an exercise program on my computer off some link they will have. I'm so frustrated with them! I'm spending close to $600 a month for all my insurance and my premiums will go up next year! Everything is going up except my income! I was fooled in thinking AARP cared about senior citizens. I know UHC doesn't. All they care about, it seems, is their bottom line. They told me not enough people were using Silver Sneakers. If it's not being used, it's not costing AARP UHC anything! This whole action makes absolutely no sense!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re SHAME ON AARP UHC STOPPING SILVER SNEAKERS

Message 3 of 169

Having silver sneakers was a benefit used for keeping fit without medicine.

Having lost the benefit or chosing to now pay at the YMCA has only hurt AARP UHC.

I have shared this with everyone including many senior housing clients.

Shop around. Dont let UHC AARP hurt the ability to have good health.

Many cleints and friends I know will stop their AARP UHC now that this has happened.

Hopefully whoever makes the decisions for the supplemental programs at UHC will will reconsider.

Just think if thiis were your parents or grand parent .

Great companys are only as great as their leaders.

Stand up UHC. Do you want to be a leader in the industry or just another company that looks at their tremoundous profits over real people .

JM

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 169

I just got off the phone with AARP central in DC to petition that they re-think dropping Silver Sneakers. If most of us do that, it may be a pathway to getting it re-instated (202) 434-3525 and wade through the menus. The lady I spoke with said she'd report it to a manager and that I should expect a call back within 48 hours. They have made a decision to drop SS in every state and replace it with a nursing benefit. My argument is that better preventive services such as SS will help their bottom line by lowering demand for reparative services. They are insensitive to the fact that many of us live in isolated rural areas that don't have many facilities or resources available. We had to petition our high school fitness center to sign up for SIlver sneakers and now they dropped it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 169

This is the operating procedure practiced by most if not all private insurance companies. It makes good business sense for their own interests. If they tell their negative changes in advance you might take your business elsewhere.  

Contrast that behavior with the 'boogieman"  government insurance where they tell you changes to Medicare in advance. 

So to protect oneself proactively making calls every year and shopping in advance is (sadly) required. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 169

While it is true you get the best pricing during Open Enrollment, you can change to another supplement at any time although you may be subjected to underwriting. I switched to Cigna effective January 2019. I was not required to undergo underwriting as an incentive to sign up. I am in WI.  

I just received an offer by mail from AARP United Healthcare to sign up and receive a 24% discount - the same offer I received when signing up originally 4 years ago.  During the 4 years I had UHC, the discount was decreased each year. After 10 years, the premium would revert to full price. In other words, if you drop your insurance, you may qualify for a better deal.  Therefore it pays to shop around each year even if you are satisfied with your current Supplemental plan. This advice also applies to Medicare Advantage plans as they make changes each year that may be to your “Advantage”. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 169

Me too.  By the time I got the letter, it is already pass the open enrollment and now I am stucked with AARP.  I am curious if anyone got the notice they sent out before the end of the year.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 169

Me too.  By the time I got the letter, it is already pass the open enrollment and now I am stucked with AARP.  I am curious if anyone got the notice they sent out before the end of the year.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 169

We have an adult center (run by the city) but it has limited weight equipment and old machines. The price is right, but not the equipment. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 169

We never received a letter informing us of losing Silver Sneakers before Jan. 1st. 2019 or we would have never signed up for AARP`s United Health Care again! It was embarassing to be told by the people at the front desk at LA Fitness that our membership had been terminated. I looked into signing up again with LA Fitness and they want 22.00 a month! What? thanks for nothing AARP and United Health Care!

Kudos
Views