Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 11 of 167

I don’t know of any special provisions through the insurance but do you have a local Senior Center?  They may have exercise equipment and senior exercise classes available.  Our Senior Center offers both as well as many other activities.  The yearly fee is only $10.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 167

I use Silver Sneakers to maintain my good health, especially blood pressure. This was encouraged by my medical provider to prevent  potential strokes or heart attacks simply because of my age. I finally made that commitment to use the program. and my local vendor has the one key machine (“Cardiogym”) that really makes a difference. 

The fee for Silver Sneakers that I must pay now is $30 a month at my local gym.  Living on Social Security alone, this fee is not affordable and now I must drop my membership this month. 

It is painful to realize the following: several major insurances do provide free memberships, e.g. Blue Cross and Aetna.  Meanwhile my monthly AARP/United Health Insurance premium continues to increase; my coverage now costs $200/month. but the one benefit that made a difference has now been taken away.

Is there a provision that can be given for those like myself who cannot pay the new Silver Sneaker fees?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 167

We are disgusted that aarp dropped the silver sneakers program! We would like a reinstatement of this program! Most seniors cannot afford a gym membership and this was a way to save aarp money and keep us healthy! BOO  to aarp ! We will be finding another insurance that pays for silversneaker!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All For AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance program

Message 14 of 167

Many of us are not interested in videos and advice.  We mainly are interested in free or afordable access to a local fitness center.  Silver Sneakers provided that!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All For AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance program

Message 15 of 167

I was told that in California, for those of us with a medigap supplement policy, we can switch to another medigap company during the 30 day following our birthday.  We cannot be turned down or charged more due to pre-existing conditions.  It's known as the California Medigap Birthday Rule.  Here's a link to more about it:  https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/how-does-californias-new-medigap-birthday-rule-work

Oregon also has a birthday rule, and my understanding is that Connecticut and New York have similar protections.  If you live in one of these states and are interested in switching, check it out.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 167
Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to swith to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 167

Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to swith to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 167

I tooam very upset about UHC  dropping Silver Sneakers.  I am one  of those that can not afford to pay for a membership.  The benefits of Silver Sneakers is priceless to me.  I have met new friends, enjoyed outings not to mention the exercise programs that have improved my health.  Apparently that is not important to UHC  or ARRP  anymore.  Thanks for letting me know after the sign up period.  There is always next year!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 167

@332usual wrote:

Considering UHC made almost 12 billion in profits for 2017 and the fact that AARP endorses them, I feel abandoned by both in favor of corporate greed. How in the world could AARP not step in and advocate senior health. I am now given the opportunity to pay $29.99 a mo. for gym. membership because AARP let me down. "Tell it goodbye" next year AARP.

United Healthcare pays AARP royalties for the use of their name for marketing purposes - AARP does this with lots of different products and services.  Is that an indication that they recommend this vendor other than making money from the use of their name - you decide.

AARP has their own wellness and fitness program which can cover all their members not just the ones who have a Medicare policy -  True, it is not the same as Silver Sneakers but this should be where their attention should be placed - advocating health and wellness for ALL their membership - which now, I believe starts at age 50, long before a member is eligible for a Medicare plan.

UHC has a lot of different insurance markets - Medicare Advantage plans are their biggest market, followed by their MEDICAID managed care plans with states.  They are also very big in the Employer group market and work with them on their retiree plans (Medicare Advantage).  Their Medicare gap insurance coverage (Medigap or Medicare Supplemental policies) isn't that big compared to their other types and tends to have many players (other insurance companies).

ONLY about 25% of all Medicare beneficiaries have a Medicare Supplemental policy (Medigap).  They are expensive for many beneficiaries and thus are not affordable to many.

UHC  makes  lots of money from their Optum division - in fact, their new health and wellness program replacing Silver Sneakers in their Medicare Advantage plans is linked to the UHC Optum brand.

Healthcare Finance News - April 2018 - UnitedHealth Group grows first quarter profits driven by Medi...

Perhaps AARP would consider a royalty deal with Silver Sneakers.  Silver Sneakers can use the AARP name in return for a special deal with whatever gym that uses the program.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 167

Considering UHC made almost 12 billion in profits for 2017 and the fact that AARP endorses them, I feel abandoned by both in favor of corporate greed. How in the world could AARP not step in and advocate senior health. I am now given the opportunity to pay $29.99 a mo. for gym. membership because AARP let me down. "Tell it goodbye" next year AARP.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet