Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 21 of 167

I am very upset with this decision! This was one of the reasons I decided to go with AARP.  I guess you would rather see people unhealthy. Poor decision 😡

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All For AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance program

Message 22 of 167

Okay, AARP has a right to drop Silver Sneakers from their benefits, but what burns me is that I received my letter informing me of the change  2 days after the "open enrollment" deadline!  Lame!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 167

I joined SilverSneakers and a Gym a couple of months ago with this program.  I guess it's time to shop again.  AARP, your suppose to advocate for Seniors and have a program that works.  Your nothing more than a Insurance Company who claims to advocate for seniors?  Time to shop again...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All For AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance program

Message 24 of 167

@soosh

AARP has their own program - lots of members don't have access to or transportation available to a fitness center.  They may not even have a Medicare plan - Medigap or Advantage.  They may have a local senior citizens center or a group of friends that get together.  So AARP gives some basics and some access via videos or instructions and articles - there are many of them.

Examples:

AARP - Exercise, Fitness and Workout Tips and Advice

AARP - Lauching Exercise Routines at 65+ and 70+ Benefits Health

These types of things are available to ALL their members not just the ones with a Medicare Plan bearing their name.

AARP gets royalties from UHC or any other vendor that has a contractual agreement with them for the use of their name.  If you look hard enough this is disclosed in the small /smaller / smallest print or should be.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 167

I agree with you 100% and understand if United Healthcare decides to drop the benefit.  What I do take exception to is AARP standing behind or suggesting this as the Healtcare plan that they recomend.  My reason for this is that they are constantly suggesting the benefits of exercise, how important it is to stay active and to interact with people.  At the facility I attend this is all offered and meets a lot of needs with special classes, swimming, lessons and/or independant exercise.  Although it is possible to obtain 1/2 price membership by changing to another offering, many people who attend this facility on a regular basis cannot afford that.  They are on a limited budget. AARP has really let us down on this one.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 167

What 's really " FREE " or NO cost ?

As others have shown in the various post on this topic, they have found cheaper plans.

Under a regular Supplemental plan (Medigap) there is no assurance that any of these "EXTRA" benefits will stay in place on a policy forever because the coverage is not a part of what a Medigap plan has to cover per Medicare.

I have not seen how these so called new "Plan F EXTRA or Plus" plans by Medigap insurers in some states word these extra benefits in their policy, if any different than a regular Plan F.  Do they give a better (contractual) assurance that these extra benefits stay for the life of the policy?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 167

AARP's community reply to members regarding UHC dropping Silver Sneakers is weak.  Basically, it just carbon copies UHC's spin on dropping Silver Sneakers.  I hate it when somebody tries to tell me that replacing a no cost benefit with one that will cost me is somehow better.  Frankly, I find an online fitness coach to be worthless and hardly a benefit.  AARP makes no claim for even trying to convince UHC to keep Silver Sneakers.  Hey UHC, if you want to provide better benefits to more subscribers, why not keep Silver Sneakers for those who have access to participating facilities, AND give the 50-50 split benefit to those who can't use Silver Sneakers?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP - BRING Back Silver Sneakers as a UHC Medicare Supplement BENEFIT, not a charge!!!!

Message 28 of 167
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

AARP - BRING Back Silver Sneakers as a UHC Medicare Supplement BENEFIT, not a charge!!!!

Message 29 of 167

AARP endorses United Health Care for Medicare Supplement Plans - HOWEVER, UHC is now dropping Silver Sneakers for its own profit margin.   AARP - Why are you NOT doing something about this.  Seniors should not have to be charged a monthly fee to continue exercising thru the silver Sneakers Program - that is the reason my  husband and I went with the plan in the first place.   All the AARP lobbyists need to do is talk with UHC and Silver Sneakers could be continued at NO cost to the seniors. However, its just another way of UHC to take money out of the Senior's pockets to make more profit for themselves.  Shame on both AARP and UHC.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 167

A couple of years ago, BC/BS dropped silver sneakers, so I dropped them.  There are other insurance providers that cost less than UHC with have better coverage (depending on your location).  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors