Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 31 of 83

@tackless1

On the Silver Sneakers website -'sorry, I thought that was the place where you were looking but remember this is a special benefit not covered by law so it could come and go with plans - yes, it would be best if it were in the contract.  And good luck with that - it seems to be more of a selling tool.

Medicare issues rules as to when people can switch plans without going through Medical underwriting.  They are called Guaranteed issue rights and are described on this page of the Medicare website.

Medicare.gov - Guaranteed Issue Rights

Medicare describes switching Medigap policies here

Medicare.gov -'Switching Medigap policies

Medigap policies are private insurance Supplemental policies - people who choose traditional Medicare don't have to have one - it is not required, in fact, a lot of people do not have them.  Since they are a supplemental plan, all Medicare stipulates is what benefits are covered and how by the various plans and when one can get a supplemental plan without medical underwriting as governed by the Guaranteed issue rules.

Since these are private insurance plans, the insurers can set their own prices for each of the plans and determine medical underwriting.  They can set their prices in a variety of ways.  The insurance companies, unless you have guaranteed issue rights, can even deny you coverage for a Medigap plan.

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap policies

It is good that you are weighing your options, we all need to do that occasionally.

Sorry that Medicare isn't all that you expected it to be -

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 32 of 83

Well, after a little more digging I found a tab on the SS web site that takes you to the companies that have SS (this doesn't mean it's in the individual companies plan everywhere).  On this page you have to select your state.

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans?state=VA

I did miss something?  I never gave it a thought that moving from one Medicare Plan to another would invoke PRECONDITIONS!!!. 

Right now my premium is $201 and will jump to about $240 next year.  This is what I got from agents at both UHC and USAA.  If I change my plan from J to F I first would loose the "early enrollment discount" of 12% you get for signing up at 65.   Because I have a precondition (they only count one thank God, I have 5) my premium would jump from $201 a month to about $310.  With the increases next year it would jump to about $350.  I was told that preconditions are not determined by Medicare in the plans, but by each insurance company.  What a ridiculous way for the government to set this up.  I do have to give five stars to the agents that I talked to at both companies because at the end they all said I was better off staying where I am (you think!).

Even without preconditions, the F plan would only be about  $15 dollars  less than my current monthly payment.  At my age of  73, F $185, current J $210.  Not worth changing in my opinion considering the complexity of the decision to be made and F is going out in 2020.

As to Silver Sneakers.  Their agent said that  my UHC plan is listed for next year and he thought that was good.  Like all the info on the web, "Trust But Verify"

GailL1 wrote:

tackless1 wrote:

Odd that Silver Sneakers does not appear to have a list of insurance companies that have this benefit.  The only thing I can find on their web site is the ability to check whether or not my current company provides membership.  I'd like to know before I pick my next insurance company.  Did I miss something?

Like the other poster today said, you have to check with the insurers and personally, I would get it in writing.  Good luck with that!!

However, then you have to check every year for continued coverage because it is a special benefit and is not required by Medicare to be a benefit.  Unless it is in the contract, I think in all probability insurers can cancell this any time they want to.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 83

tackless1 wrote:

Odd that Silver Sneakers does not appear to have a list of insurance companies that have this benefit.  The only thing I can find on their web site is the ability to check whether or not my current company provides membership.  I'd like to know before I pick my next insurance company.  Did I miss something?

Like the other poster today said, you have to check with the insurers and personally,nInwould get it in writing.

However, then you have to check every year for continued coverage because it is a special benefit and is not required by Medicare to be a benefit.

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 83

Contact an insurance agent and they can tell you which plans have the benefit.

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 35 of 83

The economic value of of SS is somewhere between $150 and $700 per year depending on which which athletic facility you choose. This value is not simply a "perk", it is part of the value equation which UHC has chosen to abandon. Perhaps AARP members should choose to abandon UHC and question why AARP has elected to continue to promote UHC when they have so profoundly snubbed our membership.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 36 of 83

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 83

Of course United Health Care does not have to continue the Silver Sneakers benefit. But, I see Humana is still including it at least in some of their plans. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 38 of 83

The simple answer:
Silver Sneakers is a perk from United Health Care probably from way back as a sales tool. Just as your coverage has nothing to due with AARP, neither does SS. It is in the fine print somewhere that they don't have to continue providing these added benefits.  There is really nothing that we can do as it appears that UHC is stopping SS on all their plans not just our J plan.  What do we do, threaten to cancel a plan that they undoubtedly want to get read of anyway.  Time to move on.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 83

RE: AARP dropping Silver ZZSneakers 1/1/18:

Yes, and when I called about it the rep gave me false information.

She claimed Silver Sneakers is no longer offered in Texas as if it is dropped on the Silver Sneakers end. It is actually AARP / UHC cutting benefits.

I am very disappointed and looking at other options.

Conversationalist

Message 40 of 83

Not after 1/1/2018. UHC dropped them nation wide.