From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: Cutting AARP's United Health Care?

Message 21 of 38

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the post.  You wrote. "I had both of these available to me for years, but never had the need to use them."  That's exactly right.  I think they are just using smoke and mirror to cover for their financial bottom line. They might be saving a few cents, but its only going to cost them more if we stop going to the gym.  Better yet, lets stay alive and get another supplement plan.

I posted a similar inquiry over on AARP Benifits forum, and did get a response from them.  Might be of interest, though to date AARP hasn't said much in their defense.  Here's the url: 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Benefits-Discounts/Silver-Sneakers-No-Longer-an-AARP-Benefit/m-p/20637... 

Tom
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 38

Heads up AARP and United Healthcare: you are headed for a mass exodus.  In place of Silver Sneakers, we will get 24/7 access to a nurse, and Wellness coaching?  I had both of these available to me for years, but never had the need to use them.  On the other hand, I go to the gym religiously 3 times/week.  I'll be moving to an Advantage plan, or a different Supplemental plan that does offer the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Life goes on... 

Alan  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 38
If enough of us complain, it may make a difference...worth a try. Billie from Calif.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 38
I am livid. have called United Health and Aarp...they told me the nearest gym under new program is 25 miles away. Hope to change insurance...that should save them some money!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 38

The notice I received in the mail, states "You can receive a special program offer of 50% off the monthly membership retail rate at participating YMCAs and fitness centers.......There is also a waived or reduced enrollment fee."  The plan is "administered by Optum for United Healthcare".  I called the phone # in the letter to ask about the new plan.  I wanted to know if my current gym would be included (yes) and I wanted to know what the fee would be and if I would have full use of the gym as I currently do now.  They did not know the answer to those questions.  I also asked if there was a cap on how much the gym could charge ('cause we all know the "retail rate" is a moving target) and if there were senior specific classes that would be offered instead of the silver sneakers classes.  they didn't know that either.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 38

@Pideas

Tom, I just posted a link to the UHC 2019 Medicare Plan Press Release - it covered California and some other states.

Their (new) senior fitness program will only be covered under their Medicare Advantage Plans.

from the link in my new thread ~

• Renew ActiveTM, UnitedHealthcare's Medicare Advantage fitness program (formerly Optum Fitness Advantage), will expand to 12 additional states[iv] and include new features, like online exercises and activities designed to support cognitive health and help people stay active in body and mind.

Renew Active also offers access to numerous participating fitness locations at no additional cost, including 24 Hour Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Curves, Gold's Gym, LA Fitness, Life Time and Snap Fitness. Locations also include local participating YMCAs.

Most likely much of this is coming from a new CMS rule that takes affect with 2019 Medicare Advantage plans.

KHN - Medicare Advantage Plans Cleared To Go Beyond Medical Coverage — Even Groceries

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 38

I'm actively looking for a better choice and will post when I find it - California.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 38
It has to be a major plus for insurance company's bottom line to have seniors stay active - there's science to back that up. This decision is so stupid!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 38

I'm researching today to see which company offers a good plan F with SS included.  AARP is doing us a great disservice.  Thanks for your information.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 38

Hi Gail,

I will do so today.  And, thankyou.  Tom

Tom
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors