Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: Cutting AARP's United Health Care?

Message 11 of 38

Yes, that much I got.  $70 for Plan G is way cheap.  

My question was in response to your saying that IN APRIL it will go down to $70.  My understanding is that the monthly price in January 2019 is the monthly price all year of 2019, unless you're moving to a different state (or at least a different zip code).  So I don't understand how you can know-and-say NOW (in November 2018) that it will "go down" to $70 in April... (presumably from some higher number where it will start in January).  Could you kindly clarify?  Thanks.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 38

As I said, $70 dollars a month cheaper. $180.00 versus $250.00.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 38

How do you get it to go down to $70 in April?  Are you moving?  Are you getting younger?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 38
  • I'm switching from AARP UHC Plan F (been a member since 09/01/06) to Aetna Plan G.  It's slightly cheaper than the AARP UHC Plan F now but in April it is $70.00 a month cheaper. That's more than enough to pay for my and my wife's gym membership each year. My wife cannot switch due to a pre-existing condition but I'm switching her to the AARP UHC plan G. Next year it will be $525 a year cheaper (including the Part B $185 deductable) which again would pay for both of our gym memberships. I'm also switching from our current AARP UHC drug plan that costs us $2,200 annually to a AARP UHC Walgreen plan that costs us $797 annually with no copay for my wife's  meds. My one prescription increases a whole $50.00 annually so,  no bill deal.

The only supplemental plan I'm aware of that will have Silver Sneakers next year is Humana and it's costs are more than Aetna in the same amount as my gym membership costs so Humana would actually be  charging me for a gym membership.

To recap, I'm changing to plans that easily covers my gym costs and saves me $$$$ each year in the future from my current expenses.

I wouldn't worry if the plan offers Silver Sneakers for they can cancel that at anytime. Look for plans that save enough money that will allow you to pay your own gym membership and you don't have to worry about Silver Sneakers? 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 38
Anthem Blue Cross' (Innovative) Plan F in California includes Silver Sneakers, but based on my age it would cost me about $50 MORE per month in 2019 than the AARP-UHC Plan F.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 38

Tom, thanks very much for that timely info, I'll be sure to checkout Anthem Blue Cross (and contrary to the deceiving remarks from AARP-UHC I'm sure that Anthem Blue Cross isn't the only Medigap plan still offering Silver Sneakes in California).  In any case, shame on AARP for letting down their insured members!  Smiley Sad

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 38

Yes, in California... Anthem Blue Cross offers Silver Sneakers as part of their Medigap supplement plan.  As a new enrollee to Medicare, I decided to avoid all the hype and intended assurance given to AARP's "only" endorsed insurance company, United Health Care (UHC).  There are other fish in the sea. Decided to sign up with Anthem Blue Cross.  

Anthem Blue Cross monthly premium is less than UHC's  and I'm saving 100% on gym membership, not just 50%.  How UHS came up with that percentage is beyond me, think it was some "team" decision, where they argued about how far to go with this move and settled on 50-50.  Some on the "team" wisely knew we wouldn't be happy with their decision, so they decided to go "half way" as attempt at appeasement.  

Would have been better if UHC had been completely honest and just come right out and said, "we really don't care if you go to the gym or not." Pure foolishness on the part of an insurance company that should want to keep their members alive, if only to continue to collect our premiums.  

Tom
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 38

Hi all.   I'm in So. Cal. and have been with United Health's Medigap Plan F for 12 years and as I'm an old fitness believer I'm very disappointed to learn that my United Health plan is dropping Silver Sneakers.   At this point I'm really regret just re-subscribing to AARP for another 5-years!!!

Would those of you who have found alternative medicare health plans (medigap, not advantage) please post the info....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 38

I always believe things happen for reason I am saving a considerable amount of money by changing to my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan which includes silver sneakers thank you so much for United healthcare for not offering silver sneakers I am saving so much money by moving to a new insurance .

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 38

As of  January 1, 2019 I will be going to a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan that includes silver sneakers on top of that the monthly premium was almost half of what I was paying with United healthcare and AARP!  At my age the gym is one of the most important things I can do for my health why pay for a supplement insurance and don’t get the true benefits that you need I hope United healthcare and AARP fEELS it in the pocket,

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors