Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers: Cutting AARP's United Health Care?

Message 1 of 38

@pm4241

Thank you for your replies.

@pm4241 wrote: (green)

@Gail1 wrote (black)

I see from their Medigap description for 2018 that they use "Attained Age" as their rating method.  

Ohio MedMutual Medigap 2018

The AARP UHC Supplemental (Medigap) plans is group coverage and they use a Community Rating method for setting premiums.

Won't this make a big difference in your premiums down the road with Ohio MedMutual as you get older?    Every supplement program raises the premium yearly (or usually, there might be a small decrease in some years...but the raises are far more ordinary)

Yes, Medigap plan premiums do increase but some methods more than others 

Like the examples which Medicare.gov gives here, especially between the (2) methods of "Attained Age" ( Ohio Medical Mutual) and "Community Rating" ( AARP UHC)

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 38

Couple of Question -

So they asked you NO health question?      As I said they asked NO health questions!

You already have your new policy in hand and there is no disclaimer about them being able to cancel any "extra" benefit (Silver Sneakers) at any time? 

They have always offered Silver Sneakers and they say that they have no plans to ever stop. They feel that it is a great way to stay healthy and fit (so they save money). 

I see from their Medigap description for 2018 that they use "Attained Age" as their rating method.  

The AARP UHC Supplemental (Medigap) plans is group coverage and they use a Community Rating method for setting premiums.

Won't this make a big difference in your premiums down the road with Ohio MedMutual as you get older?    Every supplement program raises the premium yearly (or usually, there might be a small decrease in some years...but the raises are far more ordinary)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 38

@pm4241 wrote:

Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to swith to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!

Couple of Question -

So they asked you NO health question?

You already have your new policy in hand and there is no disclaimer about them being able to cancel any "extra" benefit (Silver Sneakers) at any time?  

Won't this make a big difference in your premiums down the road with Ohio MedMutual as you get older?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

Attention all those who think they cannot switch to another company until next December. Medical Mutual of Ohio is currently allowing those of us who have a Medicare Supplement with another company to swith to them with no health questions asked and you can do this for a few more months. I did it after December 7th and got my Silver Sneakers back AND saved money each month. I will not be sorry I made this move!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

I couldn't agree more.  I cancelled my UHC for that reason and went with Anthem Blue Cross Plan G.  Next step will be to probably not renew my AARP membership.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

My Wife and I have always used our Silver Snerakers benefit. 

However, since United Healthcare no long covers it in California, we will not be returning to AARP supported United Healthcare.

What a "horrible" business decision.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

It really is. Why would they not want us to stay active. It is too much for me to continue giving my business to folks that only htink about the bottom $. I looked into other options and after a late night on the web I found this on youtube. Gave a good list of alternatives if youre like me and dont want to support the greedy anymore https://youtu.be/Ug_BMbO6TKk

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

Arizona. I'm tired of Silver Sneakers and you never know if it's going to remain in effect so I would just as soon find the lowest premiums with the coverage I desire and pay for my gym myself. My gym (LA Fitness) is $45 a month for both my wife and myself and my savings on my new plans covers that plus an additional savings of more than $1,000 annually. I'm content with that. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

@wonsettler - would you mind revealing which state you reside in?    In California I found the least expensive Plan G to be from Anthem Blue Cross (and it includes SilverSneakers)!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38

My supplemental premiums have never been as low as $70.00 per month and I began on 09/01/2006. 

In my state, the AARP UHC Supplemental plan F premiums have always been increased in April. My wife and I currently pay $230.xx each and in April 2019 that increases to $249.xx each. They send a notification each year in October informing us of our premium costs for the following year. If we were both to transition to AARP UHC Plan G, considering our ages (77 & 76 years of age) the premium for next year (no change for that plan in April) would be $201.xx monthly but since I'm going to Aetna plan G we lose the 5% discount for both being AARP UHC customers so my wife's premium will be $211.xx per month. My Aetna premium for their plan G will be $179.xx monthly.

Remember, each state and each state's country has differing premiums and procedures.

So you see, if I were to stay with what I currently have, AARP UHC plan F, my premium would be $249.xx vesus the Aetna plan G at $179.xx per month. That is $70.00 per month less when I transition to Aetna. My wife cannot leave UHC because of kidney problems. If that were not the case, we would both transition to Aetna and with a 7% reduction in premiums for both being Aetna customers and that would reduce our 179.xx monthly fee by 7 %. 

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors