Confused about which vaccines you need? Check out this list of every shot you should get after 50.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Should I re instate Part B?

Message 1 of 6

@GailL1wrote:

@john258wrote:

You forgot to tell the poster to talk to an expert. They can get one from AARP.

You can tell them - just hit the "REPLY" button directly under their post and you can post directly to them, rather than going through my post.

Better to have the person giving advice do it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@john258wrote:

You can tell them - just hit the "REPLY" button directly under their post and you can post directly to them, rather than going through my post.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@GailL1wrote:

If you are gonna be on an extended stay in the US taking care of these responsibilities, it might be wise just for something unexpected and perhaps costly.  I do not know the extent of your Canadian coverage so you will have to be the judge.

It might be a little tricky and perhaps relatively expensive because I think CMS could assess you a Late enrollment penalty - Retirees who drop Part B and then move back to the United States may have to pay an enrollment penalty. Premiums increase by 10 percent for each year that an individual is not enrolled in Part B. Therefore, retirees who think they may return to the United States may find it worthwhile to continue paying Part B premiums while they live abroad. 

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/getting-medicare-while-traveling-or-living-overseas-8229

If you do decide to pick it back up, you will need something from your Canadian coverage to prove that you have had coverage during the interim.  CMS might/will (?) assess you a penalty which would have to be paid in addition to your regular Part B premium.  You might have to contact Medicare on a call on this but my understanding is that you will be assess a penalty.

For most people on Medicare right now, the Part B premium is $ 134.00 per month but if you are considered higher income senior by your US tax return ( over $ 85,000 per year) then there is a higher premium in addition to the penalty if they assess one on you.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

If you are gonna be on an extended stay in the US taking care of these responsibilities, it might be wise just for something unexpected and perhaps costly.  I do not know the extent of your Canadian coverage so you will have to be the judge.

It might be a little tricky and perhaps relatively expensive because I think CMS could assess you a Late enrollment penalty - Retirees who drop Part B and then move back to the United States may have to pay an enrollment penalty. Premiums increase by 10 percent for each year that an individual is not enrolled in Part B. Therefore, retirees who think they may return to the United States may find it worthwhile to continue paying Part B premiums while they live abroad. 

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/getting-medicare-while-traveling-or-living-overseas-8229

If you do decide to pick it back up, you will need something from your Canadian coverage to prove that you have had coverage during the interim.  CMS might/will (?) assess you a penalty which would have to be paid in addition to your regular Part B premium.  You might have to contact Medicare on a call on this but my understanding is that you will be assess a penalty.

For most people on Medicare right now, the Part B premium is $ 134.00 per month but if you are considered higher income senior by your US tax return ( over $ 85,000 per year) then there is a higher premium in addition to the penalty if they assess one on you.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hello there! According to me, I think you may search online for the help and search for such agencies who will help you regarding Medicare. Few days back my aunt who was facing the problem in choosing the Medicare plan she has decided to search online and got to know about this The Health Exchange Agency, where she took the help from them for affordable medicare insurance plan and told me that she got assisted by their member and it proves to be really helpful for her.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Should I re instate Part B?

Message 6 of 6

I had a dispute with my husband in June of 2015 which brought on PTSD. I moved to Canada to be near my sons and filed for and became a dual citizen of both countries. I was born and raised in U.S.. In Oct. 2015 I dropped Part B Medicare after acquiring Canadian medical coverage. Since then Ifind myself going back and forth to assist my husband in getting the care he needs. Hewould not give me a divorce.  I have other direct family members in Washington state in need of my assistance in acquiring resources for THEIR care. I am now wondering if it would be wise to go back on Medicare Part Bfor my own health issues. Last Fall I acquired an Extended Health policy in Canada for when I travel but don't know if it will be enough if Iget sick and can't go back to Canadian home. Not sure what to do or who to ask.

Kudos
Views
Replies