Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Shingles Vaccine coverage.

There's a statement on your AARP website that says -  Starting in 2023, the Inflation Reduction Act will eliminate all out of pocket costs for vaccines that the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends for adults. That includes the shingles vaccine.

I followed up with Medicare on this and asked - Is this true? So, whichever Part D plan I choose, the shingles vaccine will be covered, correct?

The response from them was - That is not correct. It would actually depend on each plan individual and what coverage guidelines they have.

Honored Social Butterfly

Here is the info right from the horses' mouth - so to speak - CMS is the government's Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.  This specific is about 3/4 down the page but there is other important info in this fact sheet too - so you might want to read all of it.  I am only copying and pasting what you are asking about specifically here.

Remember this BEGINS in 2023.

CMS.gov - 10/05/2022 - FACT SHEET - The Inflation Reduction Act Lowers Health Care Costs for Million...

QUOTE:  

The Inflation Reduction Act improves coverage and lowers out-of-pocket costs of recommended vaccines in Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.

• People with Medicare drug coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for adult vaccines recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), including the shingles and Tetanus-Diphtheria-Whooping Cough vaccines, starting in 2023.
  • Most adults enrolled in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program will be guaranteed coverage of ACIP-recommended vaccines at no cost to them, beginning October 1, 2023.

And here it is described on Medicare.gov 

Medicare.gov - Saving money with the Inflation Reduction Act

QUOTE:

Better access to vaccines

Starting in 2023, people with Medicare Part D drug coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for even more vaccines, including the shingles vaccine, that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

Now if you want to know which vaccines are recommended and covered (either under Medicare Part B or Part D depending on which one it is) - here is the ADULT list from the ACIP/CDC.

CDC.gov Adult Immunization Schedule - 2022

NOW COST HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE EXCUSES NOT TO GET THEM.

Roll up those sleeves ! 😉

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi! Not knowledgeable of coverage but want to recommend shingles vaccine to EVERYONE! I developed shingles before it was common knowledge and while I've only experienced a few (3) episodes in 20 yrs, they've all been horrific.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment 👉(11/26/22) Hi @pricehaus thanks for posting this. I sign up next June for Medicare and stressing out about which direction to take. A neighbor here in Roanoke, Virginia is on Humana (age 68) and speaks highly of it. I will be meeting with my local LOA (office of aging) next year BEFORE I choose. Nicole 

0 Kudos

Not sure why the government/medicare has not taken some type of action on the Shingle Shot.  Is it because shingles attacks the senior population?  Medicare did pay for me to go to the doctors to get a prescription for antibiotics, but wouldn't pay for a $90 - series of two shots?  Seems wrong to me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP