Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired and in the process of divorce, but too young for Medicare.

Retired and in the process of divorce, but too young for Medicare.

Hi, I am going to be turning 64 this October. I have been receiving medical insurance through my STBX's former employer, but that situation has gotten tenuous since we are close to getting divorced. I am too young for medicare, but will need insurance.

Does AARP have any health care plans that will cover me? After all, not everyone waits to retire at 65/66. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Divorce as a reason for loss in healthcare coverage would be a life event under marketplace rules and thus somebody in this type of situation would not have to wait for open enrollment to pick up coverage.  

Healthcare.gov - Qualifying Life Event (QLE)

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Healthcare.gov 

With your changes in life situations, you maybe able to pick one of the policies offered in your state without waiting until open enrollment which is later in the year.  And depending upon your income, you may be able to get a tax credit subsidy to help with premium cost.

Even if your state has their own Marketplace, you will be able to access it via the Federally Facitated Marketplace which is Healthcare.gov

So just follow the directions on the Healthcare.gov website and see if one of the insurance options is a good fit for you and your needs, pocketbook and access to in-network providers.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP