Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Optum RX sign up process is a disaster

Message 1 of 10

sorry I meant co-pays not deductibles

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

Think this article from Kaiser Health News gives an overview and good perspective about what OPTUM is.  https://khn.org/news/paying-cash-for-prescriptions-could-save-you-money-23-of-the-time-analysis-show...

PBMs like OPTum can actually increase costs to consumers by using clawbacks of deductibles.  for example if the patients copay is $10 and the drug costs $4 the savings of $6 goes to the OPtum rather than the patient.   Furthermore OPTUM sells the data associated with prescribing .  My concern is that AARP allows them to send out flyers that make it sound like they are going to save the members money with no avenue available for the member to do any due diligence without giving out phone numbers and other information.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Thank you

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@c104793h  We are not happy to hear that your experience with this was so poor.  We have escalated this issue to an AARP representative and you will be hearing from them directly.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@c104793h

OptumRX is a subsidiary of United Health Care - they are a huge PBM.

They serve many seniors under their Part D plan, they service various state benefit programs and also service many government programs like CHAMPVA, to name one.

I cannot help you on the sign up nor the discount benefit.  I have no idea if this discount benefit is a good one or if another discounter would be better.

You can contact AARP on this benefit - see below at the bottom of this page.

There is also a PDF of the Benefits - maybe this would give you more specific info.

Perhaps you could run this by a few of your local pharmacies.  You can put your zip code in at this site and it will list participating pharmacies in your area.

https://advantages.aarp.org/en/brand.aarp-prescription-discounts-provided-by-optumrx.html

Is this where you were trying to sign up?

https://aarppharmacy.com

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I used your link to try and look up the benefits and formulary to no avail.  My issue is still two-fold.  First no real information is available without signing up and giving personal information. So it is impossible to evaluate the potential benefit- for example would there a substantial discount on specific drugs I take with are tier 3 or 4.  Has AARP throurghly investigated this organization prior to agreeing to comarket to AARP members. Second the sign up process is very difficult and time consuming.  It is clear that the organization has not made the investment required to engage and service customers on a digital platform.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@c104793h

OK, I understand what you are talking about now -

AARP Prescription DISCOUNTS provided by OptumRx

It is a membership benefit and it is a DISCOUNT program, NOT insurance coverage.

Since I am not a member, I don't get this stuff - if you or anybody else is interested, Inam sure that AARP Benefits can give more info.  There is no formulary just a discount if members follow the direction on using it.  

Perhaps they are trying to compete with GoodRX or other discount programs and maybe a benefit they can offer to the wide-membership - those 65 years of age and older and those younger too since membership, I think can be as young as 50.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I recieved a flyer by mail on Optum/AARP which intimated that Optum could save me money regardless of my Part D Plan provider.  I tried to sign up over the internet and had nothing but problems so I called the toll free number and spend too long on hold waiting for someone who couldnt figure out how to help me and 45 min later I it became clear that I was simply wasting my time.  If they cant figure out to get people signed up over the internet I am not wasting more time trying to get them to help me save money on my prescriptions or giving them any personal linformation.  Based on your response it appears they are a mail house PBM and it will not be worth my time, and this is just a marketing ploy.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

@c104793hwrote:

It is impossible to find out if any of the drugs I use are cover or if there is any added benefit .unless I sign up  

I am confused - what are you trying to do?  What are you trying to sign up for?

Are you trying to find a Medicare Part D Prescription drug plan or an all inclusive (including the prescription drug plan) Medicare Advantage plan?

Or do you already have an AARP / UHC plan and you just want to set up the mail order option at OptumRX?

If the later, you should have access to their Medicare Part D Formulary to see if and how your meds are covered - very important when picking a plan if you take meds that may cost more than just a few bucks.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Optum RX sign up process is a disaster

Message 10 of 10

I spent more than 45 minutes trying to sign up for this program filled all of the paper work out on line (2x) having to look up numbers each time.  Then the site prompts for me to call the toll free number which wastes another 10-15 minutes and they tell me I have to sign up again, which I try to do to no avail.

What sort of due diligence does AARP do for these programs?  Does this group even offer any tangible benefits to members?  It is impossible to find out if any of the drugs I use are cover or if there is any added benefit .unless I sign up  In the meantime they now have my email and phone that they can sell to yet another group for marketing purposes.

Kudos
Views
Replies